2017 - An incredibly rough year for UFC fans (so far)

Doog Doogson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
We are 4 months into 2017 and tt has been shite, absolutely abysmal.

The 3 PPV headliners have been
Woodley vs Thompson - one of the most boring and disappointing high profile fights in recent memory, not to mention most fans wanted Maia getting that shot instead of a rematch.
Cormier vs Johnson - another rematch, a predictable and slightly worse version of their first fight. Rest of the card disappointed.
Randamie vs Holm - A joke of a main event supported by a dreary failure of a card from top to bottom

As for the rest, there hasn't been anything really memorable. A few okay fights here and there like KZ, Masvidal v Cowboy, and watching Lewis smash Browne was satisfying but there hasn't been an outstanding card. Hyped fights have been underwhelming both on paper and on fight night e.g Vitor getting smashed by a young guy, BJ Penn getting smashed by a young guy.

This time last year we had already enjoyed the likes of the Condit vs Lawler war, McGregor vs Diaz 1, Cruz vs Dillashaw, Miesha choking out Holly Holm, Magny vs Lombard, Anderson vs Bisping, Thompson vs Hendricks plus a bunch of other memorable fights.

Get the finger out UFC. Where the fuck are guys like Condit, Lawler, McDonald, McGregor, Cain, Werdum, Khabib, Ferguson, Rockhold, Diaz brothers. Where the fuck has Yoel Romeo been for the last 6 months? and why is the middleweight champ he's waiting on waiting for a former welterweight. UFC 212 looks shite. What is this bullshit.

everything blends together for me so I have trouble remembering ppv or fs1 or fox, but I feel like there have been some great fights

nl5q1s.gif

bs2.gif

imo...

Because, I've enjoyed the fights.

We just had a masterful performance by MM. And Joanna, and Stipe are right around the corner. I will continue to be entertained.

I've been enjoying the hell out of a lot of these cards, seems like a good year so far to me.

This past weekend for example had a bunch of no-names and low-to-middle-names, and yet it was pretty damn great.

2017 has been pretty meh so far. Hasn't been THAT card or fight yet. Khabib Ferg cancellation was a huge blow for me. Haven't been that excited for a fight in a good while. Tough one. Some of the free cards have been fun though.

Definitely some good cards coming up though. Hope 213/214 are stacked. 211 looks great.

2014 was worse iirc. Everyone was declaring the death of the UFC, and they were diluting the promotion with countless different international TUF events and filling events in Brazil with no-name journeymen. UFC was truly spiraling into blandness until a certain Irish loudmouth blessed us all and made UFC great again.

I've been enjoying the hell out of a lot of these cards, seems like a good year so far to me.

This past weekend for example had a bunch of no-names and low-to-middle-names, and yet it was pretty damn great.
This , it's not about the names it's about which reebok color wins anyway .

From a casual standpoint it's been pretty bad

There have been some really great fights, with that said not many great Main Events. I would agree the UFC/WME has yet to maximize some of the cards

To be fair, UFC has been going downhill for a while now. Call it the conor effect. Call it the wwe effect. I don't expect too much for the rest of 2017.

Hasn't been the best year but there have been some pros.
-new womens division (likely to see Cyborg fight more often now and for a UFC title)
-Tom Duquesnoy and Marlon Moraes signing
-the return of David Branch who was WSOF MW/LHW champ
-Platinum Perry's platinum elbow on Jake
-Ngannou breaking the top 5 thus finally bringing some new blood to the near dead HW division
-return of Korean Zombie
-Anderson Silva getting his first win since 2011
-Mighty Mouse tying Anderson's title defense record
-Johny Hendricks actually looked good in a fight post USADA
-Browne gets KO'd by Black Beast
-Darren Elkins has one of the best comebacks ever seen in the history of UFC
-nearly all of UFC 210
-the upcoming 211 card

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other things.

The first couple months sucked but it's definitely picked up. Lotta good moments since the beginning of March.
giphy.gif

burgos2.gif

GisdjrD.jpg

ko-barboza-dariush.gif

tumblr_oouds3bjTm1udfb8oo1_500.gif

4 month down period that had its moments. Korean Zombie, Darren Elkins, Shogun Rua etc.

The last fox card with DJ, Whitaker, and Rose was great.

1 - Korean Zombie returns and wins.
2 - Anderson Silva gets his first win in almost 5 years.
3 - Blast Beast vs Travis Browne.
4 - Overeem vs Hunt
5 - UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum - Gastelum wins, Shogun wins, Barboza wins
6 - Nelson wins, Manuwa wins.
* - Okay, you get UFC 210 - between Rumble not showing to fight, and the abortion that was Mousais vs Weidman... yea, fuck that event.
7 - Mighty Mouse kills it, Rose and Whitaker rise to the occasion. Good fights
8 - Cub returns and looks great, Iaquinta does too, Perry does his thing.

So far it's been alright. And we still have three cards till the midpoint of the year.

Hasn't been the best year but there have been some pros.
-new womens division (likely to see Cyborg fight more often now and for a UFC title)
-Tom Duquesnoy and Marlon Moraes signing
-the return of David Branch who was WSOF MW/LHW champ
-Platinum Perry's platinum elbow on Jake
-Ngannou breaking the top 5 thus finally bringing some new blood to the near dead HW division
-return of Korean Zombie
-Anderson Silva getting his first win since 2011
-Mighty Mouse tying Anderson's title defense record
-Johny Hendricks actually looked good in a fight post USADA
-Browne gets KO'd by Black Beast
-Darren Elkins has one of the best comebacks ever seen in the history of UFC
-nearly all of UFC 210
-the upcoming 211 card

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other things.
The Iuri Alcantara comeback was awesome too, it just got overshadowed by Elkins in the next fight.

Tim Elliott vs. Louis Smolka was tremendous.

Shogun Below
Shogun%20Gian_zpsmhcmirtg.gif

But no, I didn't think Hendricks looked good vs. Hector Lombard.

Well 2016 was the GOAT year. But I do feel like some quality guys are spending way too much time on the sidelines. But many of those aren't in the UFC's control, either.

I think there are a lot of guys who are super exciting and just as fun to watch and skilled as the guys you listed, though. They're just not well known yet and fight on the prelims. I can't even think of their names but it seems like every card I see guys who never get talked about who are rad to watch and other guys I've never heard of who impress the hell out of me.

The problem with MMA fans is they're too WWE-like in growing attached to certain fighters as "favorites" and getting all pissy when they lose or get old. If we were better at not being stuck on the old guard and were more into the new talent, well the new talent this year seems just as good as in years past. So that makes me think that we'll have plenty of stars to watch in 2018 and beyond.

Back