Best Fighter Perry Is Favorite Over?

Sid Arthur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Looking at the rankings, which haven't changed since his last fight, I don't see any ranked welterweight who Perry would be favorite over besides Ellenberger.

15-Matt Brown
13-Ellenberger
13-Ponzinibbio
12-Ryan LaFlare
11-Kamaru Usman
10-Saffiedine
9-Gunnar Nelson
8-Cerrone

Do you think Perry is a favorite against any of these guys? I don't think it's even close.

So who *is* the best fighter you think Perry would be favorite over? He's entertaining and the UFC will want to give him a fight he can win.

Gunnar grapple fucks him and Cowboy puts on a kicking clinic.

None of that list aside from Ellenberger. The rest beat him pretty soundly.

Ponz, Brown and LaFlare for sure. Possibly Usman. As far as betting lines go. I'd favor him over the first 3 but not Usman or the rest (although Cerrone is a winnable fight for Perry, but Cowboy tends to shoot these days - enter triangles).

Would like to see the Brown vs Perry staredown.

Most of the guys on that list would beat Perry easily IMO with the Brown, Ponz, and LaFlare fights being toss ups.

Ponz, Brown and LaFlare for sure. Possibly Usman. As far as betting lines go. I'd favor him over the first 3 but not Usman or the rest (although Cerrone is a winnable fight for Perry, but Cowboy tends to shoot these days - enter triangles).
Cerrone is miles ahead of Perry everywhere the fight goes...

15-Matt Brown + 125
13-Ellenberger + 220
13-Ponzinibbio + 100
12-Ryan LaFlare - 150
11-Kamaru Usman - 175
10-Saffiedine -110
9-Gunnar Nelson - 190
8-Cerrone -220

Cerrone is miles ahead of Perry everywhere the fight goes...
The boxing, power and strength go to Perry, while everything else probably to Cerrone. This is WW Cerrone, to note. Not the guy who went on a run at LW.

The boxing, power and strength go to Perry, while everything else probably to Cerrone. This is WW Cerrone, to note. Not the guy who went on a run at LW.
power, cardio, chin and overrall endurance goes to perry. but Cerrone is very technical standing. I don't think Perry has any advantage trading with him.

power, cardio, chin and overrall endurance goes to perry. but Cerrone is very technical standing. I don't think Perry has any advantage trading with him.

Cerrone has a good jab and good combinations, but he wasn't known for his punching power even at LW, less at WW. Usually hurts guys with kicks and follows up with a sub. The Barboza jab is one of the few times he hurts a guy with a punch. The boxing defense has never been there either. Takes shots and sometimes is able to withstand them and outlast his opponent. Keeps a good pace.

Perry would be the bigger man with the better hands while Cowboy would have the edge from kickboxing range and on the ground. Could go either way, Cerrone definitely has shown more tools.

Laflare and If his tdd is up to snuff he could get usman too i think.

I don't think that Perry belongs in the top ten - but I would love to see him fight guys like Brown or Ponzinibbio!

Hopefully they give him some strikers so we get some good action instead of feeding him to the likes of Usman...

I'd guess Brown fight would have toss up odds.

Cerrone has a good jab and good combinations, but he wasn't known for his punching power even at LW, less at WW. Usually hurts guys with kicks and follows up with a sub. The Barboza jab is one of the few times he hurts a guy with a punch. The boxing defense has never been there either. Takes shots and sometimes is able to withstand them and outlast his opponent. Keeps a good pace.

Perry would be the bigger man with the better hands while Cowboy would have the edge from kickboxing range and on the ground. Could go either way, Cerrone definitely has shown more tools.
I really think Cerrone would catch perry coming in and counter him up to oblivion. Like in the Story fight, and while story doesn't retain the same kind of power Perry does, he is a technical striker himself. Just like Perry, Story likes to fight at boxing range and closes in a lot.
Donald-Cerrone-Rick-Story-KO-GIF.gif

I also think Perry has a big disadvantage vs fighters with a good kicking game, especially after the Jouban fight. but yeah, good talk.

I really think Cerrone would catch perry coming in and counter him up to oblivion. Like in the Story fight, and while story doesn't retain the same kind of power Perry does, he is a technical striker himself. Just like Perry, Story likes to fight at boxing range and closes in a lot.
Donald-Cerrone-Rick-Story-KO-GIF.gif

I also think Perry has a big disadvantage vs fighters with a good kicking game, especially after the Jouban fight. but yeah, good talk.

That combo by Cerrone was incredible. One of his best highlights because it really shows how skilled and dangerous he is.

Back