Why is it that fighters only complain about bad weight cuts after they lose

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Take the RDA example on the front page of sherdog

He fights his basically whole UFC career at LW, about 20 fights, never misses weight, never complains about a weight cut...UNTIL HE loses, then all of a sudden, all the weight cutting issues come out

Same with Bigg Rigg Hendricks
While he was workign his way up the WW ladder, he never had any issues cutting weight or making weight, then once he starts losing, all the weight cutting issues come out

However, when fighters win..."oh it was the best weight cut ever, the weight came off so easy, etc"

DC just said he had a horrible cut after whipping Rumble.

almost a year later he mentions it in an interview.....and you make it sound like he was whining at the post fight.

this is not quite but almost as bad as those sherdoggers who ripped Nog for announcing he had staph infection....when Dana actually broke that story, not Nog.

you know, sometimes people just talk. not "making excuses". people ask questions, they answer.

and sometimes it's reflection on what went wrong. in this case, he readily admits that dropping to 155 became too difficult, so he a) recognized the problem, and then b) fixed the problem.

isn't that what intelligent humans are supposed to do?

It's a good excuse that takes away from not having a good plan, not training properly or just being outclassed

Bad weight cut?

Is there ever a time when cutting water weight and dieting within 24h is ever plausibly not bad?

My strong suspicion is, we get the world we deserve.

i've read a few times now and most recently with the DC towel scandal that as fighters age making weight just gets tougher and tougher.

Hendricks did have problems making weight when he was on the rise. It became exacerbated with age/wear and tear.

Cybro Justino complains about bad weight cuts after she wins.

She used it as an excuse to NOT take the inaugural UFC 145 lb womens title she's been bitching about for years.

Who cares? Fighters have bad weight cuts sometimes,and it impacts the fight. If i had a bad weight cut and then knocked someone the fuck out in 2 seconds,im not gonna tell you about my bad weight cut most likely. I dont want people to know im struggling with weight unless i have to. QUIT YER BITCHIN.

To talk about a bad weight cut BEFORE a fight might give the opponent a psychological boost (or other advantages).

It's mostly human nature not to bitch too much when you win. Especially, if you're not too pleased with your performance.

A fighter might say...I had a little problem with my shoulder. I had a shitty weight cut. But, I won. Hopefully I don't have that problem next time.

Then it's forgotten by everybody. But, if you lost, and are using it as an excuse. It's not going away. My opinon on the thing.

He fights his basically whole UFC career at LW, about 20 fights, never misses weight, never complains about a weight cut...UNTIL HE loses, then all of a sudden, all the weight cutting issues come out

While he was workign his way up the WW ladder, he never had any issues cutting weight or making weight, then once he starts losing, all the weight cutting issues come out

However, when fighters win..."oh it was the best weight cut ever, the weight came off so easy, etc"

Weidman talked about his after handling Demian Maia.

If they can't cut the weight easily enough then that's their problem and they should think about moving up a weight class. It's a truly terrible excuse since it's 100% self inflicted.

If they can't cut the weight easily enough then that's their problem and they should think about moving up a weight class. It's a truly terrible excuse since it's 100% self inflicted.

let's talk about that term you used, "terrible excuse". is it really an excuse if:
  • RDA loses
  • he doesn't bring it up at the post fight
  • he doesn't bring it up for months
  • 4 months later, Joe Rogan brings it up
  • RDA still doesn't bring it up
  • RDA moves up in weight because he decides he doesn't want to cut to 155 anymore
  • he still doesn't mention how bad the cut was, even after moving to 170
  • 5 months afterJoe Rogan mentioned it, a reporter asks RDA about it
  • RDA discusses it with the reporter.
and then fans say "like OMG, he's just so full of excuses!"

i mean cmon man.

Funny, not once in my post is there anything specifically targeting RDA or saying he is making an excuse. I was saying it generally. There are plenty of his fans that will use it as an excuse for example. I said it's self inflicted and entirely avoidable, so it's a bad excuse, regardless of who is trying to use it as an excuse.

probably because if RDA came out and said "hey guys, I had a shitty cut and passed out....then I could barely walk to the stage" the commission would cancel the fight.

Back