Georges St-Pierre believes in ring rust but says it won’t be a factor against Michael Bisping

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Answering fan questions for Hayabusa on their Facebook page yesterday, St-Pierre says he believes in the concept of ring rust but that because he is such an experienced fighter, he doesn’t think it will play much of a factor in their contest after the first few minutes.

“I believe in ring rust. People say there’s no such thing but I believe in ring rust. It will be an issue but I’m a very experienced man. I’m one of the guys that’s spent the most time in the octagon in the UFC, maybe the most, I’m not sure in terms of time. I think because I have a lot of experience, the more time I will spend as the fight goes, the more comfortable I will be. For me, it will be very important [at] the first second of the fight. That’s when I will have to be very aware, very careful. That will be the most dangerous moment for me because when you have ring rust, that’s the hardest part of the fight. When you just step in and the fight start, that’s where the ring rust comes from, the difficulty of adaptation. But after a few minutes, I will be back to normal.”

Very few fighters ever return to action after layoffs that long and even less do so successfully while competing at a higher weight division. It’s this second part which St-Pierre says may be tougher to deal with but is ultimately part of the appeal in challenging himself.

“When I knew that we were going to fight Michael Bisping, when I signed it, that’s when I decided to try and put [on] a little bit more weight. I won’t be able to put [on] a lot because I’m a natural guy but I’m already a little bit bigger than I was. I’m the biggest I’ve ever been, right now, in my life. Bisping will still be bigger than me but I’m confident it will help...

“It’s not my natural size. I’ve never been that big in my life but as a man, I’m gonna be honest, men want to have bigger muscles. They want to be big, so it’s a good thing. I’m happy to be a little bit bigger. This is not the weight class I’m used to competing at, but for that fight, I want to make history against Michael Bisping. It’s a guy that I want to fight and he wants to fight me. It’s the guy with the highest stock right now and he’s the man to beat, so that’s why I’m doing it.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/platform...says-wont-be-a-factor-against-michael-bisping

So.. he has an excuse lined up if he loses but not really if he wins...?

"Believe you me, buddeh" - Ring Rust

If he's worried about ring rust he should take a MW tune up fight against Romero...

Well... Right now Bisbing is the perfect tune up/warm up fight for him lol...

Even Nick Diaz would be more dangerous...

GSP is scarred of losing his legacy to Conor. Think about it , he's a welterweight why in the world would he fight for the middleweight title after three years of inactivity?it makes absolutley no sense(He wants to be a double champ on paper) He should fight Woodley for the 170lb strap. that'd look better on his legacy than whats being planned.

Well... Right now Bisbing is the perfect tune up/warm up fight for him lol...

Even Nick Diaz would be more dangerous...

Yeah he is facing a fighter with one of the highest finishing %'s in the UFC....... Or Nick who hasn't finished a fight in years.

Hater logic....

GSP is scarred of losing his legacy to Conor. Think about it , he's a welterweight why in the world would he fight for the middleweight title after three years of inactivity?it makes absolutley no sense(He wants to be a double champ on paper) He should fight Woodley for the 170lb strap. that'd look better on his legacy than whats being planned.

Yeah, Conor is only 9 title defenses or so away from wiping out GSP's legacy.

Yeah he is facing a fighter with one of the highest finishing %'s in the UFC....... Or Nick who hasn't finished a fight in years.

Hater logic....

Who's that absolute peach in your AV?

Rush needs to get working on those eye pokes to take out Mike "The Cyclops" Bisping

Actually him and Bisping will be fighting for the glory of having the Most wins in UFC history.

I remember watching an interview and he said losing that record hurt him alot and he wants to re-capture it. I think Bisping is 1 fight ahead with the Hendo win.

The last 3 years have been great.

Now he gets to shit on main events again.

War Bisping.

Back