Wrestling didn´t work against Jones in the 1st fight. What do you guys think DC should...

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The question is what does DC need to do to beat Jones in the rematch?

Wrestling Jones didn´t work in the 1st fight. DC got 1 or 2 takedowns but that wasn´t enough, and he spent a lot of energy and Jones bounced back up like in the gif here. So for the second fight, taking Jon down shouldn´t be his strategy.
Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

imo DC´s clinch and dirty boxing are his best weapons to beat Jones. "Forget" about takedowns.

With a reach disadvantage getting inside range is a problem, so DC is obviously gonna eat some shots (he´s fighting the best in the world), but he is pretty good at closing the distance, and connects powerful strikes when he´s in there, but specially on the clinch... so that´s where he should focus: on the clinch.

Check out a few gifs from the Jones, Gus and Rumble fights.

Vs Jones
PaltrySpotlessGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

Daniel%2BCormier%2Bvs%2BJon%2BJones%2B(1).gif

Vs Gustafsson
original

HideousRepentantGartersnake.gif

Vs Rumble (avoiding shots and getting the clinch)
giphy-1.gif

TastyLoathsomeChameleon.gif

Thoughts?

definitely got to get them eye pokes in.

and oblique kicks.

Out point jones on strikes other than that he got nothing for jones

Agree about the potential of the clinch. I'd like to see knees to the thighs from that position. Target those skinny little legs with low kicks to the calves and give Jones a taste of his own medicine with oblique kicks. Avoid getting cut with elbows.

part of the massive respect i have for dc comes from a belief that there is no way he should be able to compete with guys so much bigger and longer than him. the only variable i can see that he could manipulate is the idea of banking on jones lack of KO power and utilising his chin. what a horrible game plan that would be

part of the massive respect i have for dc comes from a belief that there is no way he should be able to compete with guys so much bigger and longer than him. the only variable i can see that he could manipulate is the idea of banking on jones lack of KO power and utilising his chin. what a horrible game plan that would be
Exactly. Other than "absorbing shots to get in" there´s no way such a short guy can deal with such a huge reach disadvantage.

I don't know...With USADA and all, a wrestling strategy doesn't seem like a good idea, so you are probably right, TS. However, I think Jones is so much better than DC, and also more dangerous in the clinch, so Jones will win.

DC doesn't need to do anything. USADA has already taken away his magical powers.

I don't think Jon's cardio will be what it was for that fight, wrestling could work if that's the case.

Grind, clinch, deep water....remember this might be the first clean JJ we have seen, might be a different dude.

Wont expect anything different than 1st fight

Cormier needs usada jones. Lols at sherdoggers who think Jones wont be different off the juice.

I agree with you TS.

DC should go full Cain Velasquez on Jones. Harass him to the cage, drive that head under his chin and start landing short strikes to the body and the head.

The big problem for DC is getting inside to get the pressure going, as Jones will pepper him with oblique kicks and front kicks if he just keeps walking straight towards him. That's why this fight can only be won with superb cardio and ringcraft. DC needs to keep moving laterally while at the same time closing the gap on Jones. And this probably needs to go on for five rounds.

It's definitely an uphill battle for DC, but he's got the perfect training partner in Cain Velasquez to do this. I don't see DC winning, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities if he plays it right.

Clinch, dirty box, try and get Jones against the cage. I don't think he should shy away from wrestling if it's there. Standing at distance from Jones will likely get him picked apart juice or no juice.

I agree with you TS.

DC should go full Cain Velasquez on Jones. Harass him to the cage, drive that head under his chin and start landing short strikes to the body and the head.

The big problem for DC is getting inside to get the pressure going, as Jones will pepper him with oblique kicks and front kicks if he just keeps walking straight towards him. That's why this fight can only be won with superb cardio and ringcraft. DC needs to keep moving laterally while at the same time closing the gap on Jones. And this probably needs to go on for five rounds.

It's definitely an uphill battle for DC, but he's got the perfect training partner in Cain Velasquez to do this. I don't see DC winning, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities if he plays it right.
Good post. He definetely needs to use a lot of footwork, plus Jones kicks are no joke,he´s not exactly a KO guy, but his kicks are powerful.

Clinch, dirty box, try and get Jones against the cage. I don't think he should shy away from wrestling if it's there. Standing at distance from Jones will likely get him picked apart juice or no juice.
I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back