The Beautiful thing about MMA being so young..

Henderlei KO

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is that certain trends have yet to reveal themselves.

I'm not sure this deserves to be a thread, but what the hell..

We tend to think we know everything about MMA as fans and what things are likely, what is impossible, what succeeds, what fails ect. However in recent years we have been humbled a bit by the MMA Gods. We all thought for a while that NCAA Wrestlers were going to dominate the sport. We all thought for a while that Huge Heavyweights were the next "big" thing.

The truth is anything can happen. Michael Bisping, Rafael Dos Anjos, Robbie Lawler, and Mark Hunt have all been key players in proving that recently. What else could happen ? I always wonder which fighters are going to surprise us and stick around for a long, long time.

What if Big Country doesn't retire and continues to trade KO wins with beat downs until his hair is white ?

What if Lyoto Machida has a resurgence and wins another title ?

What if Demian Maia beats Masvidal and goes on to defend the belt 3-4 times as a pure BJJ guy ?

Are there any common beliefs held right now about the sport that you personally think could change or anything you think will happen that sounds crazy to most ? I mean, who the fook thought Bisping would be champ !?!?!?

MMA is pretty young and very interesting but I won't agree that anything can happen.

For instance MachIda will never sniff that strap again.

MMA is indeed the craziest sport, but those guys that years ago were not that good and later made it to championship level, they were young enough to acquire new skills, change their style and evolve with the game.

Guys like Roy Nelson and Machida are too old at this point to get on track to the belt, and USADA doesn't help.
They could still be relevant though.

I believe that Sage in 10 years he will be a completely different fighter, Kevin Lee is another guy with a lot of potential.

It isn't just because it's so young, it's because there are so many variables. Styles make fights. Very similar to American football which has been around forever. This is also part of why most of us find it so exciting.

Meh, it's not that young. It's gone through phases of purely 1 discipline with serviceable defense in others, then Muay Thai/BJJ, the wrestleboxers, but nobody's really inventing new martial arts. It's now just playing around with combinations of them and strategies. The "trends" where certain styles win out for a while are probably over and now it's individual guys who know some of everything figuring out what works best for them individually.

Yeah.

Women will beat men in the same weightclass soon.

<{clintugh}>

Sports evolve forever. Swimming is thousands of years old but it's still changing every decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back