Is Cub currently the best gatekeeper in the world?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The word gatekeeper get's thrown around in here in a negative way, but i mean this in the upmost respect.

If you can beat Cub Swanson, you are ready for a titleshot at FW. He guards the titleshot gate, and should get his due pretty damn soon.

Not sure I would refer to him as a gatekeeper, but I see what you are saying. I don't think he could beat Aldo or Frankie, but I would give him a shot against Holloway if he is on point.

Elite level gate keeper.
Exactly. A tricky spot for him but i want to see him fight the Aldo/Hollaway winner. Can't get any worse than the first fights right?

Besides, there's no one else.

Not sure I would refer to him as a gatekeeper, but I see what you are saying. I don't think he could beat Aldo or Frankie, but I would give him a shot against Holloway if he is on point.
If i remember correctly something was wrong with him in the Hollaway fight.

Im still giving Max props for whopping Cub but a rematch would be hella interesting. Even though he hasn't finished any fights lately, he seems improved since his first UFC win streak.

Nah. Bisping is a champion now. GOAT gatekeeper.

He's up there. Previously it was Mike Bisping.

Cub is very unlikely to ever beat the elite FWs. He's already lost to Lamas, Aldo, Frankie, Mendes, and Holloway and for several of them he was the key win that got them their title shot. But anyone not elite is going to have a lot of trouble beating him.

I'm a believer that beating Lobov does nothing to improve your chances at a title. Cub should shut up about getting a title shot next. Decisioning a .500 fighter is no way to get yourself a title shot.

Donald-Cerrone_23251.jpg

there is no shame in being a top 5 competitor who never becomes champ. there are many talented athletes in these lighter divisions and not everyone can hold a belt in their career. if they could the belts would not be as special(*cough* interm belts *cough*).

as the UFC grows in age and maturity there will be lots of great fighters who do not win a belt. that doesnt mean they were not good fighters, there is just a lot of really good fighters right now.

just dont complain after every number 1 contender match loss like bisping did. i think that really lost him a lot of fans over the years. have good sportsmanship and you will have fans even if you never become champion.

better than aldo? come on now.

I'd probably call him a contender, he is always close to a title shot and while he probably won't win the title it's not inconceivable he could if he had a very good day.

He's up there. Previously it was Mike Bisping.

Cub is very unlikely to ever beat the elite FWs. He's already lost to Lamas, Aldo, Frankie, Mendes, and Holloway and for several of them he was the key win that got them their title shot. But anyone not elite is going to have a lot of trouble beating him.

I think he would beat Lamas in a rematch.

The FW div is pretty strong actually.

Ok maybe not "strong" but very promising. Alot of good guys there.

Nah, it's sad. Bad division. Always has been outside of a couple guys. Prospects aren't that great either, just more or less exciting.

Cub's not a gatekeeper, he very much in the title picture and he's one of the best technical strikers in the UFC. No one creates angles like Cub does.

Back