Demian Maia Vs Jorge Masival makes no sense

The Half Blood Prince

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i don't even know. Apparently Maia had to take this fight to remain active to get a title shot. But we all know that title shots go to fighters who can being in the most amount of money which shouldn't happen. Isn't the point of all this to find the best fighter in the world who is meant to be challenged by the next best fighter in the world? Theese acts just remove the intregrity and it makes the sport hard to follow sometimes. If Demain wins what does he get? If he loses then the ufc will be happy cause they will have an excuse to not give him a title shot. If you were going by who actually deserved it more the ww title shot between wonderboy and maiai based on record, win streaks etc, it would have been Maia, but wonderboy got it because he was a bigger name. I get the ufc is a business but it flipping charges thousands of dollars for a bloody seat. The ufc is a billionare company its not like it cant afford to give title shots to the best in line.

It makes sense when you consider that the UFC wants to prevent Maia from becoming champion.

If you were going by who actually deserved it more the ww title shot between wonderboy and maiai based on record, win streaks etc, it would have been Maia, but wonderboy got it because he was a bigger name.
<{titihmm}>

And Wonderboy is virtually an unknown unfortunately.

Contender fights and title shots haven't made sense for a long long time

I don't mind this fight, it gives a lower ranked guy the chance to beat the number 3 or 4 guy in the UFC, let's see what happens

Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif

It makes sense when you consider that the UFC wants to prevent Maia from becoming champion.
Of cource but it shouldnt have happened. It would such of he lost. Really would. It would be an awsome fight between Tyrone and Maia just because that style of fighting nowadays doesnt happen anymore. Maia pretty much is the closest you will get to a pure grappler in the ufc

Marketability + who is the best fighter = title shot

If you keep winning you will get a shot eventually it might just take an absurd amount of time, by which time you might lose and not get your title shot til a while longer.

True!

... although, THAT doesn't make sense

Maia already earned his title shot in spades. This fight is a fucking slap in the face to him. No offense towards Gamebred doe.

If Maia loses this, then the UFC brass will all be wearing shit-eating grins. Mission accomplished.

If you were going by who actually deserved it more the ww title shot between wonderboy and maiai based on record, win streaks etc, it would have been Maia, but wonderboy got it because he was a bigger name.

I'm not sure this is true. Is Wonderboy a bigger name than Maia? I don't think so. Does Maia have an indisputably better claim to a title shot than Wonderboy? I don't think so. Their claims were pretty evenly matched imo.

I agree that Jorge vs Maia makes no sense. Maia should have been given the winner of Woodley/Wonderboy.

I think wonderboy is a bigger name, there was more hype but it certainetly was the fact that he would have been a bigger draw

well if his name is keith johnson then the dean of mean would make no sense

I like both fighters a lot and always root for them, but at this point I really hope Maia wins and he gets the title shot and wins the belt. The UFC could use more legit champs who appreciate the title for the accomplishment that it is and not see it as a platform to call out random, undeserving fighters just to make more money.

I don't have anything against fighters making money but I think Champions should carry themselves as ambassadors of the sport. Even McGregor who is possibly the most money-driven fighter in the UFC, also fights for glory and to build a legacy. But some of the other champs are just looking out to make a buck fighting the easiest fights and then bail.

I like Mas but after watching him destroy Cerrone, i really want Maia to choke him out even quicker than he did to Condit. Hopefully Maia wins but Mas is sneaky and really tough, i reckon he beats Maia but decision

Its cause they are log-jamming divisions up

They skipped Demian for Wonderboy 2x

Conor ran away with the LW title

And Bisping is taking shit fights after getting his gold

Yes. But they also realize that Masvidal's entertaining persona can be used as a promo tool to build up Maia a bit before he gets his inevitable title shot. Even if this fight only ups Maia's stock by 1% - that's probably good enough for the tiny margin loving NewFC.

Back