Is a chin the most important tool in a fight?

OlympicDom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've personally seen many technically and athletically superior fighters lose simply because their opponent could absorb more punishment than they could. We saw how different Chuck Liddell was when he lost his ability to take a shot; a lot of the fights he lost at the end of his career were fights he was clearly winning, so his technique, speed and power hadn't changed much, but because his chin became brittle he got knocked out repeatedly. We all know Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, athleticism, size, Muay Thai, wrestling, heart, fight IQ etc are important, but is the chin the absolute must have for a fighter? Is it the most important tool to have in a fistfight in any scenario? I'm leaning towards yes, because we all know that getting slept is the worst thing that can happen in a street fight, because you are completely at your opponent's mercy if you get KTFO.

You can't win because of your chin, but you can definitely lose because of it.

Depends who you are fighting and also how you fight yourself.

is the chin a tool? I guess for some fighters, the chin is kind of a tool isn't it. Like prime Silva who would just eat shots to grab you on a plum, counter you etc. But for most fighters, the chin isn't a tool at all. Overeem needed to change the whole way in which he approaches fighting because his chin was gone.

I think the higher in weight you go the greater in importance

Imagine what Arlovski and Reem's careers would look like with Hunt-like chins

I've personally seen many technically and athletically superior fighters lose simply because their opponent could absorb more punishment than they could. We saw how different Chuck Liddell was when he lost his ability to take a shot; a lot of the fights he lost at the end of his career were fights he was clearly winning, so his technique, speed and power hadn't changed much, but because his chin became brittle he got knocked out repeatedly. We all know Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, athleticism, size, Muay Thai, wrestling, heart, fight IQ etc are important, but is the chin the absolute must have for a fighter? Is it the most important tool to have in a fistfight in any scenario? I'm leaning towards yes, because we all know that getting slept is the worst thing that can happen in a street fight, because you are completely at your opponent's mercy if you get KTFO.
Depends on the fighter's style. If he brawls a lot, then yes, he better have a chin on him. If he is a crisp out fighter like McGregor, then chin isn't that important simply because he won't be getting cracked as often (if at all).

Its probably the worst attribute to have a weakness in. You don't need an iron chin if you have good defense + average chin but hard to get away with having a particularly weak chin.

Which single quality or skill is more important in your opinion?
No single quality or skill is the most important.

It doesn't matter if you have THE best chin in the world. If you don't have the skills to back it up, it will only take you so far.

If you have awesome technique, but can't take a punch to save your life, you will get exposed one day.

You pretty much need to train all the qualities. Cardio, strentgh, technique, learning how to take a shot... At the highest levels, you can't have big holes

Look at Overeem. He's lost many fights where he was clearly the superior fighter. Look at Anderson. Once his chin started to go after the first Sonnen fight, he became vulnerable.

You can't be as aggressive. You can't put yourself in the same positions to inflict damage. So I would say yes. It's almost impossible to be champ without a chin.

Depends on the fighter's style. If he brawls a lot, then yes, he better have a chin on him. If he is a crisp out fighter like McGregor, then chin isn't that important simply because he won't be getting cracked as often (if at all).

I would say the opposite. Conor gets clipped often. What looks innocuous and 'weak' today, become the shots that put you down once your chin goes.

As with my Anderson analogy above: In his prime, He eats the shots Sonnen and Bisping gave him, and returns fire to finish the fight. Today, without his chin, he gets dropped.

In his fights with Mendes and Diaz, he took shots that would put him away once his chin goes. You can't avoid getting hit as a striker. In the same vein, Anderson took a clean H-Bomb in his prime. If he took that shot today, he would be out cold.

Look at Overeem. He's lost many fights where he was clearly the superior fighter. Look at Anderson. Once his chin started to go after the first Sonnen fight, he became vulnerable.

You can't be as aggressive. You can't put yourself in the same positions to inflict damage. So I would say yes. It's almost impossible to be champ without a chin.
Agreed.

How bout just not getting hit in the chin

"HEAD MOVEMENT HEAD MOVEMENT " lol

Perfect example is Nate Diaz. Head like a block of concrete. allows him to walk forward with impunity throwing volume strikes untill his opponent is gassed out and done from 100000 strikes. without this chin diaz would not even make bellator imo.

The thing is a good chin can stop you from getting knocked out but it can't win you a fight.

Personally I'd say the most important thing is heart.

I would say the opposite. Conor gets clipped often. What looks innocuous and 'weak' today, become the shots that put you down once your chin goes.

As with my Anderson analogy above: In his prime, He eats the shots Sonnen and Bisping gave him, and returns fire to finish the fight. Today, without his chin, he gets dropped.

In his fights with Mendes and Diaz, he took shots that would put him away once his chin goes. You can't avoid getting hit as a striker. In the same vein, Anderson took a clean H-Bomb in his prime. If he took that shot today, he would be out cold.
The Mendes fight 'bombs' Conor absorbed are a myth imo. There were GIFs of him subtly rolling the shoulder or intercepting Mendes as he was swinging. Nate on the other hand really did get some shots in but he punches like a flyweight. I mean, I feel even Lineker might have more power than him. Look at the Alvarez fight, he must've absorbed no more than 5 strikes to the head.
As for absorbing shots being 'unavoidable', that much is true. However, with the right style, you can minimize the volume you absorb, making your 'chin' hold up for much longer.

It has to do with the location of the punch. It's the sweet spot, at the very end of the chin.
Look at Liddell, Silva for examples.
Those punches weren't head knockers, just clipped the end of the chin and it's lights out.
The same could be said of Arlovski and Overeem.
It's location, location, location...
And once your clipped like that, you are never, ever the same.

Back