Is Phil Davis a top 3 LHW?

Thesnake101

Think about it, it worth it.
@Gold
Reaction score
With Rumble having fucked off and Jones not being elegible to fight yet, the top 3 guys at Light Heavyweight are now DC, Gustafsson and Glover. My question is: Do you think Phil should be ranked above either Gus or Glover?

I believe a case could be made for him to be ranked as the #2 guy in the world, since he easily beat Glover when the two fought, and that he's been having more success than Alex recently. Granted that Gus fought Rumble and DC back-to-back, which fucked up any momentum that he had from his win over Manuwa.

Don't get me wrong, Phil is not exciting to watch, but he's been very succesful. 21 fights and still hasn't been finished, despite having fought one of the most powerful guys in MMA in Rumble. Beat guys like Gustafsson, Little Nog, Glover, King Mo and Lyoto Machida, even if the last one was a regarded as a robbery.

He is certainly Top 5.

Davis has legit grappling and a Jones-like chin.

He's not an easy fight for anyone.

phil davis must be an extremely frustrating opponent even for the top guys

Without Rumble since he's retired he's definitely top 3 in the world. I'd have Jones #1 DC #2 and Davis #3

Gus, Jones and DC are better imo

Yes I know Phil beat Gus 57 years ago.

With Rumble having fucked off and Jones not being elegible to fight yet, the top 3 guys at Light Heavyweight are now DC, Gustafsson and Glover. My question is: Do you think Phil should be ranked above either Gus or Glover?

I believe a case could be made for him to be ranked as the #2 guy in the world, since he easily beat Glover when the two fought, and that he's been having more success than Alex recently. Granted that Gus fought Rumble and DC back-to-back, which fucked up any momentum that he had from his win over Manuwa.

Don't get me wrong, Phil is not exciting to watch, but he's been very succesful. 21 fights and still hasn't been finished, despite having fought one of the most powerful guys in MMA in Rumble. Beat guys like Gustafsson, Little Nog, Glover, King Mo and Lyoto Machida, even if the last one was a regarded as a robbery.
There is no way in hell Gus be ranked above Phil if there is not UFC bias... If you clearely look into Gus resume, he hasn't beaten any one that really matter... He is only there because he gave Jones a fight, other than that... His best accomplishment are 2 loses... And phil beat him so... But the ranking... If you concider that Liddel is ranked above Rampage despite losing both of his fight to him including when he was in his prime....

Dude Phil Davis had already beat both today guys relatively easily. You can try to argue that was a green Gus but that was prime Glover.

Best LHWs are
1. Jones
2. DC
3. Phil Davis
4. Ryan Bader
5. Gus (expecting him to beat Glover)

Honorable mentions
Jimi Manuwa
King Mo

Him and Bader are ahead of Gus in my books until Gus actually beats a top guy.

Gus, Jones and DC are better imo

Yes I know Phil beat Gus 57 years ago.
Gus may be better than Phil, but he hasn't done anything to be ranked above him imo. Phil just has better wins and resume than him. So I think he should be ranked at #3, with Jones and DC being the ones ahead of him.

Phil has been on a roll in Bellator, at this point he's #3, but he did not look exactly enthusiastic when he won the belt after dominating McGeary, almost like he didn't care. I think he probably will come back to the UFC if he stays undefeated in Bellator by the time his contract is up. I almost want to see a King Mo rematch just to solidify his #3 spot, being as how a lot of people here scored that fight for Mo.

Davis top 5 lhw?? Lmao fuck in that case I should cut 40 lbs and start training for lhw

I would say Jones, Gus and Cormier all beat him right now and I'd take Glover in a rematch. I think Bader beats him again in Belletor, King Mo is a interesting fight. So I think he's potential top 5, I dont think all those fights are sure wins, I'd favor those guys to win but Phil can certainly win 3 of those fights.

Well he did beat Gus and Glover. Also he was one of the few LHW to survive from the Rumble fight when they normally succumb to his fist or choke out Rumble in Cormier's case

Dude Phil Davis had already beat both today guys relatively easily. You can try to argue that was a green Gus but that was prime Glover.

Best LHWs are
1. Jones
2. DC
3. Phil Davis
4. Ryan Bader
5. Gus (expecting him to beat Glover)

Honorable mentions
Jimi Manuwa
King Mo

LOL...Ryan Bader the number 4 lhw? I don't think so. Ryan Bader will also never be on an all time best LHW list.

If he can avenge the Bader loss, then for sure is #3, if not I put him behind Bader and Gus (if he beats Glover)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back