How are these guys still in the UFC?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
While Bader, Larkin, Rory, and maybe Mousasi are let go.

And Al Iaquinta is not getting paid!

-

Andrei Arlovski: Finished in his last four fights

Roy Nelson: 2-4 in his last 6 going into his last fight that he lost. I know he just fought but they'll probably keep him around.

Travis Browne: 1-4 in his last 5. Being Ronda's fiance probably explains this.

Ed Herman: 3-4 in his last 7. Not as bad but I doubt he'll revive his career a la Robbie Lawler.

CB Dolloway: Lost his last three.

Matt Brown: 1-5 in his last 6. He already used up his Robbie Lawler career resurgence. He's a favorite but 1-5 is not a good look.

Jake Ellenberger: 2-6 in his last 8 going into last night. Then he gets KO'd.

Alexander Yakovlev: 2-4 in his UFC tenure.

Jeremy Stephens: A "name" but he is 2-5 in his last 7.

Clay Guida: I know he's a fave that has been around forever but 3-6 in his last 9.

BJ FUCKING PENN: I know it's because he's BJ FUCKING PENN but c'mon bro.

Gray Maynard: 1-5 in his last 6 at 37 years old.

Anthony Pettis: It pains me to put this guy on the list but his recent record is horrendous. Regardless, I'd like to see him fight one more time. If he loses again, he needs to be cut.

Mike de la Torre: 2-4-1 in his last 7.

Jessica Eye: I love that ass but 1-5-1 during her UFC career.

John Moraga: Lost his last 3.

Bec Rawlings: 3-4 in the UFC

Kailien Curran: 1-4 in the UFC.

Jessica Penne: 1-3 in the UFC

-

There are probably more but I used three recent losses or a significant and recent below .500 record as starting points. None of these guys are top level fighters and if they were at one time, that time has long past (Arlovski, Penn).

Are you sure you don't know the answer or are you just fishing out what everyone already knows

Lol @ Iaquinta deserving any pay... his UFC career consists of beating semi retired guys with wear and tear on losing streaks like Ross Pearson, Diego Sanchez, Louzon, etc while getting a CONCUSSION and a robbery decision against Masvidal.

The UFC has practically spoon fed Iaquinta. ZERO personality, ZERO legit noteworthy wins, questionable durability... He's a guy they can afford to let go.

Mousasi is a guy they MUST retain at almost any cost though imo.

<{titihmm}>

Did you say BJ Penn?

If i was a mod that would be instant ban.

That's probably why i'm not a mod.

The guys you mentioned weren't "let go" They just got better paying jobs elsewhere, Bellator in these cases.

It's pretty simple.

They all have done something the UFC appreciates or there in weaker divisions so they provide some added depth. There isn't a set in stone formula for when they boot you out.

While Bader, Larkin, Rory, and maybe Mousasi are let go.

And Al Iaquinta is not getting paid!

-

Andrei Arlovski: Finished in his last four fights

Roy Nelson: 2-4 in his last 6 going into his last fight that he lost. I know he just fought but they'll probably keep him around.

Travis Browne: 1-4 in his last 5. Being Ronda's fiance probably explains this.

Ed Herman: 3-4 in his last 7. Not as bad but I doubt he'll revive his career a la Robbie Lawler.

CB Dolloway: Lost his last three.

Matt Brown: 1-5 in his last 6. He already used up his Robbie Lawler career resurgence. He's a favorite but 1-5 is not a good look.

Jake Ellenberger: 2-6 in his last 8 going into last night. Then he gets KO'd.

Alexander Yakovlev: 2-4 in his UFC tenure.

Jeremy Stephens: A "name" but he is 2-5 in his last 7.

Clay Guida: I know he's a fave that has been around forever but 3-6 in his last 9.

BJ FUCKING PENN: I know it's because he's BJ FUCKING PENN but c'mon bro.

Gray Maynard: 1-5 in his last 6 at 37 years old.

Anthony Pettis: It pains me to put this guy on the list but his recent record is horrendous. Regardless, I'd like to see him fight one more time. If he loses again, he needs to be cut.

Mike de la Torre: 2-4-1 in his last 7.

Jessica Eye: I love that ass but 1-5-1 during her UFC career.

John Moraga: Lost his last 3.

Bec Rawlings: 3-4 in the UFC

Kailien Curran: 1-4 in the UFC.

Jessica Penne: 1-3 in the UFC

-

There are probably more but I used three recent losses or a significant and recent below .500 record as starting points. None of these guys are top level fighters and if they were at one time, that time has long past (Arlovski, Penn).

Why are you still speaking when clearly you are to ignorant that you can't understand common sense at this point? If they don't have any drawing power, they aren't getting paid big bucks even if they win. IA Aquinta and many others do zilch to help their bargaining position or their drawing power.

God, the people on this site are some of the dumbest human beings on the planet. How can someone watch the UFC for years and not understand this? You may not like it or agree with it, but shit at least comprehend it for god sakes.

The guys you mentioned weren't "let go" They just got better paying jobs elsewhere, Bellator in these cases.
Well technically that counts as the UFC letting them go... The UFC didn't want to pay them what Bellator would so they let them go to Bellator.

Well technically that counts as the UFC letting them go... The UFC didn't want to pay them what Bellator would so they let them go to Bellator.
No it doesn't, "let go" = being fired. Getting a better job is a voluntary choice by the fighters. People leave jobs for better jobs in this country everyday, we never refer to that as them being let go.

you're asking how they're still in the ufc yet you answered half of the questions yourself why you suspect they're still employed lol.

None of the guys you mentioned were "let go", they chose to leave

I do think the UFC should pay up and make their winning fighters happy.
I do not, however, think it is a good idea to let even more fighters go. Not the ones that has been elite at least. Even if Roy Nelson is weird, loses a fair bit of fights etc he has a following and is amusing to watch for the most part. Ed Herman might be a bit less of a fan favourite for instance, but he is a solid fighter and I think the UFC needs solid fighters to test their up and commers and who knows, he might go on a winning streak.

Another thing if they let Bec Rawling and such go though. Fighters that's constantly bad, was never good and never learn.

Edit:
Also BJ Penn is not someone you let go. It's not like they keep having bad BJ Penn events over and over. He rarely fights and there is always interest when he does. Him fighting or not is more about his health and if he can perform. I don't think he is the kind of guy to fire, unless he fights out of his contract. Might not be worth it to sign him again if he demands a lot.

No it doesn't, "let go" = being fired. Getting a better job is a voluntary choice by the fighters. People leave jobs for better jobs in this country everyday, we never refer to that as them being let go.
It's the same job though, just for a different organization. The UFC is the pinnacle, if they don't match what their competitors offer their fighters then it's the same thing as letting them go. It's basically their way of telling the fighter they aren't a big deal and they don't care if they leave. They could easily offer them more money but they are stingy as hell and don't give a shit about you if they don't consider you a draw.

I think the main reason (for the recognized names) is to prevent them getting signed by Bellator

And a second reason is because some divisions are shallow as fook and you need some mid tier guys (that's something Bellator don't have and you have to see a lot of can crushing)

It's the same job though, just for a different organization. The UFC is the pinnacle, if they don't match what their competitors offer their fighters then it's the same thing as letting them go. It's basically their way of telling the fighter they aren't a big deal and they don't care if they leave. They could easily offer them more money but they are stingy as hell and don't give a shit about you if they don't consider you a draw.
Your not getting it. They could have stayed with the UFC but decided they wanted paid more. I've left companies for the same job at another company that paid more. I wasn't let go just took another job.

I think Dana likes Matt Brown and understands him, knows this is all he's got, has a couple kids and a wife and would still be a decent draw even if he was cut. It's getting down to the wire for Matt, though, and they need to be very careful who they pit him up against next or I'm sure it's curtains with the UFC. Only so many losses they can tolerate, regardless of Matt being a good dude or whatnot.

Ellenberger, same thing, maybe minus the sentimental value of being the blue collar family man Matt is. They want to give these guys the benefit of the doubt before releasing them, but I think Ellenberger is there. Either Mike Perry was supposed to be the executioner and do the job for the UFC or they wanted Jake to win, impress them, and stay. I think he's in Koscheck land now right around when Kos was let go and if Jake is crazy enough to keep it up we might see him in Bellator, though even at this point I think Bellator would be reluctant to sign him.

Roy - They keep him around for one more, but if he loses another one I think it's parting ways time. Off to be with his good friend Bigfoot in some remote part of Russia fighting for decent money is where I can see Roy headed if he loses one more time.

Arlovski - He's a name and a legend, and though his chin and been long cracked, fans still know who he is and hope he gets a knockout. No shame in losing to an up and coming beast like Francis tho, but if he loses to Tybura it's not going to look good. I think this is a cutting block fight here.

Dolloway, I think they're not even paying attention to him right now and has probably flown under the radar as of late to stay.

BJ Penn, it's Dana being nice here. They kinda threw him to the wolves vs. Rodriguez for Rodriguez to get a legendary opponent on his resume, and they're doing the same thing by using Frankie as the gatekeeper for him to get a title shot. Edgar is right, they are setting him up to lose, and it's up to Frankie to play spoiler to defeat this young Mexican.

Jeremy Stephens is a mind blower. Bad temper, unsportsmanlike, lost to a nobody last time and isn't going to ever be champion. Fans know who he is though, he can still knock people out, and imo they give him a winnable one next to keep him afloat. Should he be cut? Yes. Will he? It will look more clear after his next fight.

Back