Yair Rodriguez VS Frankie Edgar: The most intriguing match up of the year thus far

glasshouses999

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
When the MMA incarnation of sonic the hedgehog comes up against the veteran killer Frankie Edgar we will have a fight that will be very hard to put a finger on. Will Frankie be able to deal with Yair's wildness and respond and will he be able to catch Yair when he is cartwheeling kicks across the octagon? can he take him down and hurt him or is Yair's ground game really legit? Will he be able to dictate the range and shut down Yair's flashy tricks and kicks or has Yair's boxing improved to the point that he will be comfortable in boxing range and will be able to stand and trade for periods of time with Frankie? will he then be able to utilise his insane hedgehog skills when the time arises? Weigh in analysts.

SlipperyBitesizedBinturong.gif

WhisperedWhirlwindLangur.gif

It will be the 1st time in a while I'm rooting for Frankie.

Flashy kicks with spins in them should be just fine for a professional fighter to counter. Frankie did catch a lot of Benson's, literally.

Tough fight for both of them.if frankie takes him down im sure hel win

Really looking forward to this one. One way or another this fight will tell us a lot about Yair...

was thinking of betting on Yair on sportsbet.. paying 3to1 to win...

Yair has not fought anyone close to a top 10 fw talent. Frankie will paint the canvas with Yair's blood.

If I had to bet I would go with Frankie.
But I will be rooting for Yair.

Hard fight to pick. Will be interesting to see if Edgars game is still as evolved as these "new breed" fighting styles.

I think Frankie walks right through him. Yair is flashy as hell but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of power behind anything he throws.

Frankie is probably gonna outclass him.

That gif clearly shows Frankie missing that hook that folds Mendes..........

This fight has Edgar by UD written all over it.

This will be interesting. Does anyone know how good Yair's ground game is? I feel like it will be tested this fight quite a bit. On the feet, I have to give it to Yair mainly because of his physical attributes and the range he can keep.
Eitherway, it will be an amazing fight to watch

Honestly, the only thing that worries me as a Frankie fan is that Yair has like half a foot on him. The size difference is huge and it will only be amplified by the fact that Yair fights long with Kicks. That said, Frankie is very good at pressuring people and stifling them, so I expect him to keep Yair at boxing range or take him down and grind him out.

I hate to bet against Frankie but this is a tough one. He out pointed Stevens and didn't necessarily look great in that fight, while Rodriguez is young and has less millage and is a lot bigger. Frankie was right, the UFC is trying to set him up to lose so they can put Yair into title contention with a win over his name, it's up to Edgar to make this a grinding, grueling fight and try and do what he did to Swanson to win. Yair gots the youth, speed, technique etc. but Frankie gots the heart and experience... I hope Frankie can pull this off

Back