Artem Lobov proved he can ‘take a punch,’ never thought he was in danger against Cub Swanson

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“The Russian Hammer” is leaving UFC Fight Night 108 with some well-earned respect, losing a competitive unanimous decision to the fourth-ranked featherweight in the world.

Speaking to the media afterward, Lobov insisted that though Swanson “was the better man tonight” he was still never in trouble by anything “Killer Cub” did.

“There was a few shots that I felt, but I was never feeling like I was gonna get finished,” Lobov said. “I can take a punch. Born in Russia, forged in Ireland, they don’t make them like this anymore. I can take a shot, that’s for sure.”

He certainly can. Despite the apparent mismatch, Lobov hung tough with Swanson for the full 25 minutes and even won the first round on two of the judges scorecards. He also showed off an impressive chin, taking a number of big kicks and punches from the powerful Swanson, without ever being in any serious trouble. It was that rugged durability that impressed fans.

But Lobov isn’t one for moral victories. Despite impressing the fans and disproving the doubters, Lobov insists that a loss is a loss.

“I came to win so I don’t feel great but what are you gonna do?” he said. “This is the fight game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. What else can I say?”

Still, it was an impressive showing for the unheralded Lobov and one that announced him as a legitimate fighter in the talented 145-pound division. And though he may not care for moral victories, that’s not the only win he got tonight. Lobov’s battle with Swanson earned him his first Fight of the Night bonus and an extra $50,000, a feat he expects to continue moving forward.

“I’m right on track,” Lobov said. “I was actually surprised I didn’t get one earlier as I wasn’t able to perform to that level. Before the UFC, I used to get Fights of the Night every time. Literally, every show I was on it was Fight of the Night. So I was expecting to have a lot more by this time but now is a good time to start and keep it that way.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/2...ng-as-fans-enjoyed-his-fight-it-was-a-success

I didn´t expect much from him, but Lobov had a good fight, up to his skills. Swanson is just better.

Respect to Artem. didn't care too much about him before this but the dude has chin and heart. Props. He has a wild persona like Conor but after that, he's a chill guy.

Respect to Artem, garbage post. He was wobbled and was outright outclassed by a superior fighter he had no business fighting "taking a round" with a fucking take down is not a "win".

He is tough. But he got outclassed.

It's not like Cub put on his best performance though. And he usually takes quite some punishment as well.

Artem can take a beating. But other than that he didn't show much.

I would love to hear his true feelings though about his coach and best friend and training partner abandoning him before the biggest fight of his career.

He doesn't deserve to be cut but he got easily outclassed by Cub!!! If the Russian Hammer is lucky he may get another top20 opponent.

Artem grew on me against Ishihara, and last night even moreso. He doesn't have the skills to get a lot done, but he can take a serious beating.

I dunno he looked pretty close to the brink right before Herb stopped it to get his eye checked. Tough guy though there's no doubt about that.

“There was a few shots that I felt, but I was never feeling like I was gonna get finished,” Lobov said. “I can take a punch. Born in Russia, forged in Ireland, they don’t make them like this anymore. I can take a shot, that’s for sure.”

I don't think anyone ever doubted Artem's ability to take shots to the face

Of his 13 career losses (lol) only 1 has been via KO

You don't need to be in any "danger" in order to be outclassed.

And this is exactly why lobov has the record he does...

He takes on fights he really shouldn't..

Could have taken a fight against someone he can easily beat and improve his record, but no, goes after the #4 ranked guy

Tbh, that performance should probably see lobov crack top 15

The guy definitely has a lot of chin and heart, but he was clearly rocked multiple times last night. If Cub had been a bit more aggressive Lobov would have been put away IMO.

Artem did pretty well considering he was walking in with the longest odds on the card. However, if "not feeling you're in danger" was the criteria for winning, Fabio "Punching Bag" Moldanado would probably be undefeated.

Now I wanna see Doo-Ho Choi vs. Artem.

Back