Are UFC Fighters Independent Contractors?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If they are, they are fee to fight for any promotion they want; they don't have to be let go of a UFC contract to take a fight with another promotion. Obviously you are not an independent contractor if you are not free to work wherever you want. That would not meet the legal definition of an independent contractor at all.

UFC fighters have no pros of independent contractors but have all cons of employees.

It's not that simple TS. If it was it would've been challenged forever ago. Randy tried and failed.

It's not that simple TS. If it was it would've been challenged forever ago. Randy tried and failed.

I don't know why he failed.I'm sure how you can see being bound to onily being able to work for one company doesn't meet the definition of independent contractor.

Independent Contractors can still have to sign non-compete clauses...

I don't know why he failed.I'm sure how you can see being bound to onily being able to work for one company doesn't meet the definition of independent contractor.

You have to realize this isn't even a UFC/MMA specific issue. (For one Pro Wrestling operates in the same manor)

It's labor laws which are notoriously difficult to litigate. On the surface what you're saying sounds cut and dry but it's not. Again, if it was it would've been challenged successfully by now.

UFC fighters are not allowed to fight in any other promotion while under contract. This is common sense, TS.

WWE/WWF wrestlers have long been independent contractors, so the issue isn't new. The WWE has always exhibited way more control over their wrestlers than even the UFC does over their fighters. This has been rumored to change since the 1980s and still hasn't. I wonder if it's just a case of money winning out. The UFC and WWE have the resources to fight tooth and nail to call their "employees" independent contractors while the wrestlers and fighters don't have the resources to fight it.

Didnt he run out of money and quit the fight? It's often not about whos right or wrong but who has the money to prove they are right to the end.

OP it's not that simple. There is a 20 pts IRS employee vs independent contractor test you can look over. Then it's subjective these things go to court all the time.

You have to realize this isn't even a UFC/MMA specific issue. (For one Pro Wrestling operates in the same manor)

It's labor laws which are notoriously difficult to litigate. On the surface what you're saying sounds cut and dry but it's not. Again, if it was it would've been challenged successfully by now.

Can you name a profession outside of pro wrestling or MMA where this problem with the definition of independent contractor exists? After all, MMA is basically the modern version of pro wrestling. Pro wrestling really doesn't exist aymore. There is WWE but they refuse to even call what they do "pro wrestling" and you have to admit their product has little or nothing to do with he sport of wrestling. WWE call it sports entertainment but it falls short of sports or entertainment to most people.

Didnt he run out of money and quit the fight? It's often not about whos right or wrong but who has the money to prove they are right to the end.

OP it's not that simple. There is a 20 pts IRS employee vs independent contractor test you can look over. Then it's subjective these things go to court all the time.

I'm aware of that test. UFC's contracts fail that test.

Can you name a profession outside of pro wrestling or MMA where this problem with the definition of independent contractor exists? After all, MMA is basically the modern version of pro wrestling. Pro wrestling really doesn't exist aymore. There is WWE but they refuse to even call what they do "pro wrestling" and you have to admit their product has little or nothing to do with he sport of wrestling. WWE call it sports entertainment but it falls short of sports or entertainment to most people.

You need to flush that Law Degree down into the sewer where it belongs, Mr. Legal Expert. If you are an Independent CONTRACTOR, that means you have the right to sign contracts. If you read all the shit that the UFC puts in their contract, and you SIGN IT and take their money, then you are bound by the limitations and restrictions of that contract. You don't like what's in the contract? Try to negotiate it away. Can't? Then walk away. That's how ANY contract works. Don't like the terms? Then don't sign it. Did you sign it? Then you're bound to abide by the terms. It's that goddamn simple, kid. What part about that is so hard to understand?

You need to flush that Law Degree down into the sewer where it belongs, Mr. Legal Expert. If you are an Independent CONTRACTOR, that means you have the right to sign contracts. If you read all the shit that the UFC puts in their contract, and you SIGN IT and take their money, then you are bound by the limitations and restrictions of that contract. You don't like what's in the contract? Try to negotiate it away. Can't? Then walk away. That's how ANY contract works. Don't like the terms? Then don't sign it. Did you sign it? Then you're bound to abide by the terms. It's that goddamn simple, kid. What part about that is so hard to understand?

Eh, there's a lot of legal precedent that willfully signed contracts can be exceedingly unfair and straight-up illegal. This argument doesn't generally hold any merit in a court of law.

You don't know anything about this so I'm going to make it very simple for even you to understand. An example of an independent contractor would be a house painter. Once you take on the job of painting someone's house, you have to do the job and do it to the satisfytion of your client. However, he has no right to tell you: "If you paint my house, then you can't paint the house next door because I don't like the people who live there. You also can't pant the house across from me because I don't like them either and you can't paint the house all the way at the end of the street."" He has no right to tell you that you can't accept certain other jobs or any other jobs. As soon as he tells you that you can't work for another person or another company that makes him your employer!

It's clearly defined by the IRS. All the client can say is "I need my house painted by such and such date." The means by which you do that and the times by which you come, you just have to agree upon; he can't tell you.

Last edited:
You don't know anything about this so I'm going to make it very simple for even you to understand. An example of an independent contractor would be a house painter. Once you take on the job of painting someone's house, you have to do the job and do it to the satisfytion of your client. However, he has no right to tell you: "If you paint my house, then you can't paint the house next door because I don't like the people who live there. You also can't pant the house across from me because I don't like them either and you can't paint the house all the way at the end of the street."" He has no right to tell you that you can't accept certain other jobs or any other jobs because he is not your employer and because you're an independent contractor. As soon as he tells you that you can't work for another person or another company that makes him your employer!

It's clearly defined by the IRS. All the client can say is "I need my house painted by such and such date." The means by which you do that and the times by which you come, you just have to agree upon; he can't tell you.
Yet what you explained.. is not the case in which the subject was asked.

lol it makes it sound like Dana is signing these guys to do carpentry work for them. :p

"Build my fucking roof ya goof!" - <Dana05>

Yet what you explained.. is not the case in which the subject was asked.

He needed a simpler example by which he could understand the difference between an independent contractor and an employee so I gave him one. I still explained how things work when one is an independent contractor and taught him what the person paying for the services of the independent contractor can and can't do.

You don't know anything about this so I'm going to make it very simple for even you to understand. An example of an independent contractor would be a house painter. Once you take on the job of painting someone's house, you have to do the job and do it to the satisfytion of your client. However, he has no right to tell you: "If you paint my house, then you can't paint the house next door because I don't like the people who live there. You also can't pant the house across from me because I don't like them either and you can't paint the house all the way at the end of the street."" He has no right to tell you that you can't accept certain other jobs or any other jobs. As soon as he tells you that you can't work for another person or another company that makes him your employer!

You seem to have it all fiqured out Ts. Let the ufc fighters know would you

You seem to have it all fiqured out Ts. Let the ufc fighters know would you

The information is right here; all they have to do is search for threads about UFC fighters being independent contractors. I think it would be insulting to them to suggest that they can't even even conduct that simple search. If they want to ask me any questions they can do it be private message but I'll tell them that while Business Law was one of the required courses I had to take when I earned my B.A. in Marketing, and I did get an A in the course, I don't have a law degree.

I know enough to educate them on this subject to a degree but they're going to need a lawyer to fight this in court and as long as they hire a competent lawyer and the judge hasn't been bought off by The UFC, they have every reason to believe they will win their case.

I read this ray longo's voice while talking to iaquinta. With a couple of "cocksuckers" in between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back