Jimmie Rivera shows how to defend "Garbrandt choke" [instructional video for TJ Dillashaw]

Jimmie should fight Garbrant after Dillashaw

There's a better counter than that. You end up in like an overhand wristlock and pull them down towards you.

that was my favorite choke as a teenage bully. I'm glad no one countered that with an elbow to the face...

Cody did 2 hands.

Rivera failed.

<codychoke>

Nice ... they rarely teach self defense like this in the top BJJ schools anymore.

Good basic self defense here. And a decent sense of humour to boot. I like Jimmie's style.

Yeah, because you're going to really pull out these moves in the moment.

Grab wrist, step back, turn and throw a back-elbow.

Fuck out of here.

Stupid fucking defense.

Left hand wrist control, right hand arm-drag. Simple.

In before Gracie Breakdown steals my idea

Isn't it called a Wayne Brady Choke?

I kept waiting for him to mention using your Chi, and then break into an Aikido move.

If someone full on adrenaline grabs you its not as easy (more or less impossible) to do a wristlock like he shows in the vid and the ellbow wont reach the opponent with a big enough reach difference. My experience (from actual fight) if you want to go for a small joint lock punch the grabbing arm full power (better if you have something like a car key in your hand) or use the elbow to lean into the grabbing arm, thats enough to loosen the grip a little bit and then joint lock/break him down. Just grabbing the wrist does not do much with a strong muscular opponent.

If versed in wrestling/judo a throw would be even more easy as the agressor kindly enough attached one arm to you but again for a women with notable size difference pretty difficult.

If done so a women may have a chance to defend but its not that big. MA teachers often underestimate the importance of raw strenght/agression. Best thing for a women would be a taser in that situation ;).

Yeah, I can see the soccer moms in the background pulling this off in a streetfight. XD

TJ defended that choke successfully <JonesDXSuckIt>

TJ just cracked him with a quick right hook that seemed to work better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back