Forbes Claims CM Punk Responsible for 50% of UFC 203 Buys

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
"
He did. The WWE universe tuned in en masse, and when comparing Meltzer's most generous estimate for a 203 card without Punk (300,000) to Raimondi's most conservative total for 203's actual buy rate (650,000), it's clear that Punk's presence more than doubled the event's the pay-per-view revenue. With each unit costing fans $60 a pop, no Punk would have meant around $15-$18 million in PPV cash. In reality, Punk brought in closer to $39-$48 million, with the possibility for more (Meltzer should have his final numbers in due time).

"

source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattco...e-drawing-power-among-mma-elite/#6a6bceda6b37

a forbes analyst claims that UFC 203 would have done around 300k without CM punk but the conservative guess with him is 650K.

do you believe cm punk is really responsible for $20-30 million in PPV sales?

Easily and another 10 mil + in Pepsi sales at the arena due to subliminal advertising:

Cm_punk_tattoo.jpg

That's why Punk got paid a lot of money. There was awareness he would bring more eyes to the product. Personally, I hope he gets another fight. I think that Gall is probably pretty damn good and that the quick work he made of Punk is possibly not indicative of Punk's actual abilities as a fighter.

I'm not expecting him to notch some serious win, but I'd like to see him on a card against an up and comer without much experience.

I can see that...while it's obviously not a big sample size I went to a local Buffalo Wild Wings and the two main fights people went insane for was punk and then Lesnars fight.

Fans left and very few stayed for the girls main event. Lol at Dana thinking people cared that much about wmma

here is something that completely conflicts forbes and uses meltzer as source as well...

"
MMA Fighting reports that UFC 203 early projections have it between 425,000-475,000 PPV buys. The numbers would make it the best UFC PPV not featuring Conor McGregor or UFC 200 which brings up the question of whether the CM Punk experiment helped boost the buy rate.

The event’s main event featured Stipe Miocic defending his UFC heavyweight title in his hometown against Alistair Overeem. But most people were intrigued by CM Punk’s debut against Mickey Gall.

Dave Meltzer of MMA Fighting opined that Punk probably brought in an additional 125,000-225,000 extra buys or between $3.75 million and $6.75 million. This estimate is based on UFC 198’s PPV buy rate which registered slightly under 300,000 PPV buys.

Maybe not a good comparison, but UFC 118 which featured James Toney taking on Randy Couture drew 535,000 PPV buys. Of course, that event featured Penn-Edgar II at a time that The Prodigy was still a very popular fighter."

http://mmapayout.com/2016/09/ufc-203-ppv-buys-estimated-between-425k-475k/

UFC Should give him a guy who wants to stand and trade. If that right would have landed Gall's head would have flown out of the octagon.....

I can see that...while it's obviously not a big sample size I went to a local Buffalo Wild Wings and the two main fights people went insane for was punk and then Lesnars fight.

Fans left and very few stayed for the girls main event. Lol at Dana thinking people cared that much about wmma

different cards, my man. Lesnar fought at 200 while Punk fought on the Cleveland card with Stipe and Reem.

I'd figure Punk to be responsible for at least 50% of the PPV buys.

"
He did. The WWE universe tuned in en masse, and when comparing Meltzer's most generous estimate for a 203 card without Punk (300,000) to Raimondi's most conservative total for 203's actual buy rate (650,000), it's clear that Punk's presence more than doubled the event's the pay-per-view revenue. With each unit costing fans $60 a pop, no Punk would have meant around $15-$18 million in PPV cash. In reality, Punk brought in closer to $39-$48 million, with the possibility for more (Meltzer should have his final numbers in due time).

"

source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattco...e-drawing-power-among-mma-elite/#6a6bceda6b37

a forbes analyst claims that UFC 203 would have done around 300k without CM punk but the conservative guess with him is 650K.

do you believe cm punk is really responsible for $20-30 million in PPV sales?
unnamed (1).gif

UFC Should give him a guy who wants to stand and trade. If that right would have landed Gall's head would have flown out of the octagon.....
If Punk would have landed that punch, he would have broken his wrist, ulna, and radius, and probably dislocated his shoulder.

different cards, my man. Lesnar fought at 200 while Punk fought on the Cleveland card with Stipe and Reem.

I'd figure Punk to be responsible for at least 50% of the PPV buys.

Oh yeah tee hee. Damn boxing has messsed my brain cells

Funny all those WWE fans paid just to watch him do nothing and lose quickly.

I could see that. 50% doesnt sound that crazy i would have said 30-40%

He responsible for the best laugh i've had in years, i will give him that

Probably true, Dana should do a celebrity athlete fight on a UFC card every year.

Back