Fedor vs. Crocop and Lawler vs. MacDonald

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I just rewatched Fedor vs Crocop and what a great fight of the top 2 guys at their absolute peak of skill and toughness going for broke until the last.

First of all, I had a few observations about that fight. The matchup was very close. It was clear that Crocop was faster landing more, and doing serious damage, but his cardio got sapped by being vulnerable to Fedor's ground game, in turn made possible by excellent game planning and sledge hammer punches.

Until Crocop was really gassed after 15 brutal minutes, it was a great back and forth battle between the 2 best of their class at the best time. It reminded me a lot of Lawler vs MacDonald. Both fights were great displays of giving your all at your peak, with tons of back and forth damage and then with the let down of one's own body determining the outcome.

I believe they may even have been near the same ages at the time of their fights, with both Fedor and Crocop being around 30 at the time. Certainly they were at the peak of their popularity. We were very lucky to have them.

And no, I'm not comparing Fedor to Lawler in terms of career or ditto Crocop and MacDonald, although I could go into similarities shared by these fighters for quite a while. I am only comparing the those 2 fights in particular. Sad that I have to say that but it's to prevent the "whaaaaat you're saying Lawler=Fedor????LOLZ" crap.

I'm not too sure I want to see Fedor vs Crocop 2 after so many years, but I sure as fuck won't miss it either. Ironically, the same goes for Lawer vs MacDonald happening any time soon. That fight was a war if ever there was one. I'd like to see them fight out their respective contracts, rejuvenate, and then meet in, say, Rizin in about a year and a half. Any sooner and they just would not have recovered enough spiritually, if you know what I mean.

This is the whole reason we have Sherdog. Posts like this. Nothing else.

Brilliant writing, well thought out. A great point. And I agree, those fights were very similar.

unlike Lawler v MacDonald, my guess is if you showed a noob Fedor v CroCop and they didn't know anything about anything, they wouldn't think it was that good of a fight. you need to know the background and the current situation to appreciate it.

just my guess. i've never tried.

(side note) once i showed a noob CroCop v Yoshida, and it actually turned them away from the sport. he was cringing. i tried to explain how epic it was, and how much it proved that MMA is indeed multi-faceted. didn't get through.

unlike Lawler v MacDonald, my guess is if you showed a noob Fedor v CroCop and they didn't know anything about anything, they wouldn't think it was that good of a fight. you need to know the background and the current situation to appreciate it.

just my guess. i've never tried.

if you need to know the entire backstory of a fight its not a good fight

if you need to know the entire backstory of a fight its not a good fight

it depends on how you define 'good fight'. can the 'best fight ever' be between two top 30ers? some say yes; it's merely about how great the actual bout it against each other. others say no, because a) they don't have the high level skills to attack and defend each other in ways that will 'turn on' a true fan, and b) there's no meaning; not a belt, or a #1 contender status on the line, which brings down the importance of the bout.

i don't care to debate it right now; i appreciate arguments for both sides. but it's quite obvious that you fall into the first camp, that's all. so i have a present for you. enjoy.

I disagree with the above assessment about, you wouldn't know it was a good fight. Bullshit. You are mixing different aspects of appreciation. You could see the skill of the fighters clearly displayed and you could tell they were beating the shit out of each other. I call that a good fight. If you want to say that knowing the background of each fighter and of the matchup itself raises the interest level well then duhhhh... knowing more about a sport you're watching makes it more interesting and entertaining, interesting fact. And today is Thursday.

I disagree with the above assessment about, you wouldn't know it was a good fight. Bullshit. You are mixing different aspects of appreciation. You could see the skill of the fighters clearly displayed and you could tell they were beating the shit out of each other. I call that a good fight. If you want to say that knowing the background of each fighter and of the matchup itself raises the interest level well then duhhhh... knowing more about a sport you're watching makes it more interesting and entertaining, interesting fact. And today is Thursday.
well now i'm curious. i'll try this experiment soon.

well now i'm curious. i'll try this experiment soon.
Include the original commentary. It's part of the experience of the fight. See: Buffer's intro for Couture vs. Big Nog to see what a big difference the sound can make.

Back