Henri Hooft explains shouting "Don't give up" at Rumble against DC, rematch

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

IMO this fight could easily play out like the last one with Rumble starting strong then fading under the pressure of DC. But I truly believe Rumble KO's him this time hes just too fast and DC's body is too old for this

I knew when I heard Hooft yelling that while DC was grinding him down, that Rumble was done. lol

All these predictions of a sudden DC decline and Rumbles sudden fortitude are laughable. We've never seen DC give up or get stopped by punches and yet, we've seen Rumble quit time and again whenver he faces adversity.

Yelling "don't quit!" over and over again without any technical advice or encouragement at all is basicly telling someone to quit. Terrible cornering. I really dislike the Dutch mentality and style.

Is his explanation that "I didn't want him to give up?"

Cause that's the explanation

Yelling "don't quit!" over and over again without any technical advice or encouragement at all is basicly telling someone to quit. Terrible cornering. I really dislike the Dutch mentality and style.

eh you never know, rumble could be a known quitter in training when shit gets tough and as soon as he passes that threshold there's no getting him back, all guys are mentally different and need different motivation during the fight or trigger words/phrases

20091121091014_IMG_8312.JPG

All these predictions of a sudden DC decline and Rumbles sudden fortitude are laughable. We've never seen DC give up or get stopped by punches and yet, we've seen Rumble quit time and again whenver he faces adversity.

Not really, Rumble can put anyone out on any day, no matter the chin. Look what he did to Gustafson, look what he did to Glover. Also DC is getting to the age where he could start showing a decline in physical skills, not saying it's going to happen but it's a definite possibility considering where he trains and the fact he's already wrestled at the highest level his whole life. He has alot of miles on the body for sure.

Came to say this.

eh you never know, rumble could be a known quitter in training when shit gets tough and as soon as he passes that threshold there's no getting him back, all guys are mentally different and need different motivation during the fight or trigger words/phrases
If he's someone who quits, the last thing you'd want to do is yell that over and over. It only instills doubt and shame in his mind. It attracts it. Even if he was someone who folds in training when pressured, that is something you have to work on there. You have to build confidence through overcoming adversity. You do that by giving them tools, shifting focus and changing their perspective. Basicly calling him a bitch without ANY technical advice what so ever did jack. They had no answer at all as a corner and it highlighted how little they've actually dealt with the issue in a constructive way.

I don't get this at all. Dont quit seems like exactly what should have been going through rumbles head at that moment. Nobody ever heard a spotter in a gym shouting "keep pushing" or "you got more" or whatever? Hes putting the thoughts in rumbles head that need to be there. Its like shouting encouragement to a marathon runner. I dont get peoples response to this at all

If he's someone who quits, the last thing you'd want to do is yell that over and over. It only instills doubt and shame in his mind. It attracts it. Even if he was someone who folds in training when pressured, that is something you have to work on there. You have to build confidence through overcoming adversity. You do that by giving them tools, shifting focus and changing their perspective. Basicly calling him a bitch without ANY technical advice what so ever did jack. They had no answer at all as a corner and it highlighted how little they've actually dealt with the issue in a constructive way.

Yup. It seems like they are pretty much telling him that he's quitting and he's gotta stop... Like telling someone he can not cry. Has to be awful.

Any stupid lie like 'motherfucker didn't do nothing, lied on you for 3 minutes, would probably have been more useful'.

You know a fight's seconds away from ending when Hooft starts shouting "Don't give up!"

I don't get this at all. Dont quit seems like exactly what should have been going through rumbles head at that moment. Nobody ever heard a spotter in a gym shouting "keep pushing" or "you got more" or whatever? Hes putting the thoughts in rumbles head that need to be there. Its like shouting encouragement to a marathon runner. I dont get peoples response to this at all
Think about the psychology of the wording and associations.

Your examples would be the equivalent of them yelling "you can do it!", "keep fighting, you're strong!" and so forth. Which helps just as little from a technical standpoint, but at least it's encouraging. The same with lifting. If you keep hitting the wall and not getting the weight up time after time, you lose confidence in your ability to do the lift.

It's obvious that Rumble is a quitter, that's why the wording is poor. He doesn't need discouraging, he needs tools.

Think about the psychology of the wording and associations.

Your examples would be the equivalent of them yelling "you can do it!", "keep fighting, you're strong!" and so forth. Which helps just as little from a technical standpoint, but at least it's encouraging. The same with lifting. If you keep hitting the wall and not getting the weight up time after time, you lose confidence in your ability to do the lift.

It's obvious that Rumble is a quitter, that's why the wording is poor. He doesn't need discouraging, he needs tools.

The instruction was to not quit. That means to stay in the moment and keep actively trying. The advice is fine. You might even say that by being so direct about it he is doing a very good job of throwing in rumbles face what he needs to do

Imagine if kavanagh had shouted "dont quit" in the first fight with diaz

Not really, Rumble can put anyone out on any day, no matter the chin. Look what he did to Gustafson, look what he did to Glover. Also DC is getting to the age where he could start showing a decline in physical skills, not saying it's going to happen but it's a definite possibility considering where he trains and the fact he's already wrestled at the highest level his whole life. He has alot of miles on the body for sure.
Look what he did to Arlov--wait.

Rumble has serious power, but let's be clear: his TKO over Gus was his only (T)KO over an elite fighter, if Gus qualifies as that (which I think he does). He's built a reputation off of beating dudes like Bader, Manuwa, D.J. Linderman, 38 year-old Nog, 37 year-old Teixeira. Some good fighters, but Rumble has NO history of KO'ing guys like DC, Jones, or top 5 HW's yet people act like he's Overeem or something.

People act like he has the best power in all of MMA, but he couldn't knock out Dan Hardy, Phil Davis, Arlovski, or David Branch, all fights held in his prime.

Can he knock out DC? Sure. Is he some deadly super scary freak killer? Not to guys as good as DC, no.

We've never seen DC ever got rocked before and in his last 2 fights he's been skating on queer street.

Thinking that your chin will hold up against Rumble is a path to disaster.

This is basically a Rumble bashing thread so most of the responses won't make sense

Back