Do you think Wonderboy will be champ eventually?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Wonderboy could beat both Maia and Masvidal, although I a fight with Maia would be preferable.

His chin looks to be just ok. Not his recovery, it's great, but the way he gets dropped easy is something that would cost him against someone like Masvidal. It sure made him lose the Woodley fight.

If Masvidal beats Maia I would like this fight.

He literally can't beat Woodley. So as long as Woodley is champ, nope.

It's possible, but time's not on his side and Woodley's gonna have to lose the belt first.

He literally can't beat Woodley. So as long as Woodley is champ, nope.

I thought he did beat Woodley. Not that I'd relish seeing either of them as champion, the way they fought last time.

No. I get the "perennial contender" feeling with that guy every time I watch him fight. He's not champion material.

No...he had two chances to get it done.

He absolutely can be champ at some point. Will he is different. But he needs things to line up to make it happen. And if he does, I think he won't be able to string too many defenses together.

How many people have ever lost their initial title bid and later became champion? Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is GSP.

I'm going with no.

Not if he fights like he did last time. He'll be lucky to be offered a new UFC contract. 25 minutes of standing and circling. Watching paint dry is more fun than that fight.

Wonderboy is a great fighter but he has failed to pull the trigger since the rory fight (although he won).way too conservative.he definitely has a chance still, he is a legit top 3.

How many people have ever lost their initial title bid and later became champion? Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is GSP.

I'm going with no.
Chuck too right? Mighty Mouse, but different weights. TJ could be next on that list (edit: maybe you count his first title successful, in a way it was but Cruz came back so I don't know).

His chin looks to be just ok. Not his recovery, it's great, but the way he gets dropped easy is something that would cost him against someone like Masvidal. It sure made him lose the Woodley fight.

If Masvidal beats Maia I would like this fight.

You realize how much harder Woodley hits than Masvidal? Or basically any WW? 99% of WW's would have been ko'd in that first fight.

He's got like 20 kickboxing fights and 20 MMA fights and never been finished.

His chin is a lot more than OK.

I do however think he needs to work on his boxing defense. It's a common flaw with karate fighters.

I think he has a future as a champion. I just think Woodley is a bad matchup for him. Especially because it forces him to be the aggressor because Woodley doesn't give a fuck and will turtle up and wait for the perfect opportunity. I think if Woodley would of just rushed in like he did at the end of the last fight he could of got those results sooner.

I just find it crazy when people say wonderboy ran both fights. Meanwhile Woodley gets his back scratched by the fence for 23 minutes.

He has a chance, but he obviously needs to make some changes. For now I wish to never see a Woodley Thompson fight ever again.

Chuck too right? Mighty Mouse, but different weights. TJ could be next on that list (edit: maybe you count his first title successful, in a way it was but Cruz came back so I don't know).

Chuck won his first title bid. Chuck vs. Randy I wasn't for a title. Randy won the title in his next fight, unless you're counting the Pride middleweight tournament.

Also, even if you count Mighty Mouse, MM and GSP are both the GOATs of their divisions. It doesn't happen often; that doesn't mean it's impossible, but I don't think Wonderboy comes back and earns a title.

Chuck won his first title bid. Chuck vs. Randy I wasn't for a title. Randy won the title in his next fight, unless you're counting the Pride middleweight tournament.

Also, even if you count Mighty Mouse, MM and GSP are both the GOATs of their divisions. It doesn't happen often; that doesn't mean it's impossible, but I don't think Wonderboy comes back and earns a title.
Oh I forgot it wasn't. Yeah it's unlikely, but the thing is Woodley won't be a dominant champ. Most perennial contenders never won due to dominant champs. I don't see Woodley as that, so, I think Wonderboy has better odds than history proves.

edit: Cormier is a great example of weird circumstances clearing a path.

Back