Thoughts on Cody Garbrandt wanting to be a three division champion?

Sherdoggy34

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Guys like BJ Penn, Dan Henderson, Frankie Edgar, and Randy Couture, among others, were jumping and cutting across weight classes in the past. It's clear that winning a belt in multiple divisions is possible. McGregor is the latest example, holding both the featherweight and lightweight belt at the same time, before having the featherweight belt stripped by the UFC. Up next on that list, Cody Garbrandt?

Garbrandt surprised a lot of people by taking out a P4P great in Dominick Cruz at UFC 207, and currently is slated for a matchup with former champ TJ Dillashaw. I doubt anyone would say that fight is an easy one, so Garbrandt shouldn't look past TJ at all, but in a recent interview on the Aubrey Marcus podcast, Garbrandt laid out his plans to be a three weight kingpin.

"I can go to ‘25... I'd rather go down before I go up. Demetrious has a fight... coming up, Then his next fight will be the all-time record... [I want to] make him earn it," says Garbrandt. Johnson is the P4P best in the world, according to the official UFC rankings, and his next fight is against Wilson Reis on the Kansas City card on FOX.

For the featherweight division, Garbrandt says, "If my time is up to go up to ‘45, and Aldo's still the champion, I'd love to go against another legend, be a three-time [champion]." Aldo will be fighting Max Holloway at UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro.

Is this something Garbrandt can realistically accomplish? Would the UFC allow this kind of title hunting to hold up the other divisions? I'd love to hear your thoughts; I think it's a little ambitious for the bantamweight champ.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.31.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.31.08 AM.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 3
Defend the belt first.
hqdefault.jpg

But honestly, I think MM and him would be a ridiculous match-up.
If dude somehow took out MM and Aldo, the next step would be against McGregor.

this dude beats cruz and now thinks hes a fkin beast or something... cant wait til he gets rekt..

It's one of those things from articles about fighters like "He's looking for a knockout this fight" (who isn't?) or "he plans to fight for a couple more years and then retire". It's just standard bs.

Good for him

Haters gon hate and say he can't like they said he can't beat Cruz.

giphy.gif

"I can go to ‘25... I'd rather go down before I go up. Demetrious has a fight... coming up, Then his next fight will be the all-time record... [I want to] make him earn it,"
Please let this happen

DJ X Cody
<{anton}>

Defend the belt first.
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, The Snake is no joke!

Wise move to grab The Snake by the throat during TUF,
but can he pull that off during the fight?

cody-garbrandt.jpg

I guess it's good to have goals.
Going down wouldn't impress me, but moving up would.

If he was able to fight and beat DJ and Aldo, with Dom already under his belt, that would be some shit.

He is too small for Conor. You're talking about a guy who is talking about making 125. If he can do that he is two manlet units smaller than Conor.

He could beat Demetrious, I think I'd even have him as a favorite in that bout.

Aldo? Nah, I'm not so sure.

Seems like there's only one dude thinks about that title defense record....

How about a title defense ya fucking radiator

Well he is part of the Platinum Nation and that was Mike's aim first so not surprising Lil Platz wants to have the same dream and is one third of the way there. It's possible for all the Platinum fighters to do except Dark Platinum, he's too big to drop down.
PklnAjm.jpg

Defend the belt first.
hqdefault.jpg

No it wouldnt. Let's say he took out MM after 6 months from now in 9/2017. Then goes from 125 to 145lbs which would require at least 6 months so his fight against Aldo (presumably) would take place around 3/2018. After that if he for some reason wanted to move up to 155lbs he would need another 5-6 months preferably and would be fighting the LW champ around 8-9/2018. The only way he would be fighting Conor there would be if he was still the champ, which he wont be because it would require him to defend at least twice and not go to 170lbs to go for a third belt and have the 155lbs one stripped.

Also, its very unlikely Cody would go straight to 145 after beating MM at 125lbs. He would probably defend the 135lbs in between post-poning the 155lbs debut at least 3-6 months more to 2019. We have no idea whos the champ then and Conor is probably retired.

Back