New UFC Owners doing away with multiple events within a close proximity of each other?

flakxd

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Looking at the upcoming calendar, and I'm not seeing any multiple events in the same day in different continents/time zones like before, when they'd put on one card in Europe/Australia, with another in North America within the same 24hour span.

And I'm also not seeing any Friday/Saturday/Sunday 2 or 3 consecutive day events either like how Zuffa used to do (with the exception of 4th of July fight week). Can we expect events to be more spaced out from here on out?

That's fine by me but i prefer more cards and more fights.

Spacing them out weekly is good or bi-weekly i'm ok with but only because other promotions have cards available as well.

I DO NOT like it when the UFC does them monthly that is way too much time spaced out and that makes it so fighters never get fights. Each fighter should be fighting at least 3 times a year.

I don't think that's true

They did NY and Toronto back to back in December. I remember because I attended both the same weekend.

There's also fight week like you mentioned.

That's fine by me but i prefer more cards and more fights.

Spacing them out weekly is good or bi-weekly i'm ok with but only because other promotions have cards available as well.

I DO NOT like it when the UFC does them monthly that is way too much time spaced out and that makes it so fighters never get fights. Each fighter should be fighting at least 3 times a year.
Seems they are thinking out the roaster and going for perceived quality over quantity.

I remember one Brazilian card that was supposed to be a "what ever" low key card and all but 1 fight ended in a crazy finish and Dana could not stop gloating and praising the fighters.

Then another time, a "quality" ppv main event in the form of Woodley-Thompson 2 happened and was more than a snoozfest.

It seems to me the new owners don't realize that the diamond is in the rough i.e. The best fights usually come the no name guys who are hungry to prove themselves

Seems they are thinking out the roaster and going for perceived quality over quantity.

I remember one Brazilian card that was supposed to be a "what ever" low key card and all but 1 fight ended in a crazy finish and Dana could not stop gloating and praising the fighters.

Then another time, a "quality" ppv main event in the form of Woodley-Thompson 2 happened and was more than a snoozfest.

It seems to me the new owners don't realize that the diamond is in the rough i.e. The best fights usually come the no name guys who are hungry to prove themselves

Well they are not going for quality over quantity though because they have always done quality. Now they are just doing less of it.

We have been spoiled with outstanding matchups for years.

I enjoyed Woodley vs Thompson 2 btw as there was a lot of high level movement going on in that fight. I get my Cub vs Choi brawls as well so it's not hard to appreciate the more strategic battles.

Well they are not going for quality over quantity though because they have always done quality. Now they are just doing less of it.

I enjoyed Woodley vs Thompson 2 btw as there was a lot of high level movement going on in that fight. I get my Cub vs Choi brawls as well so it's not hard to appreciate the more strategic battles.
In the old rules, both guys could have potentially been fined a point for timidity and lack of engagement. The fight had some moments tho so it wasn't all bad.

In the old rules, both guys could have potentially been fined a point for timidity and lack of engagement. The fight had some moments tho so it wasn't all bad.

What old rules?

There were never points taken away for timidity in the UFC.

smart move, they dont have enough draws to make interesting cards as is... looks like their investment is proving to not be worth as much as they thought if they are having to reduce shows... lmao, i hope the UFC goes bankrupt xD

smart move, they dont have enough draws to make interesting cards as is... looks like their investment is proving to not be worth as much as they thought if they are having to reduce shows... lmao, i hope the UFC goes bankrupt xD
First off......the investment was worth less than $2billion........when you consider they/Zuffa were only making about $100million a year profit. So that means WME/IMG paid almost 25 to 30 years of profit added in the brand value.They WAY overpaid......and the only way they can earn their money back is long term. They better figure it out in the next few years IF they want to be a legitimate sport that will be around for decades to come or do they want to be "entertainment" and a "sports circus".......They need structure, rules on titles and succession and title defenses, schedules and other relevant things including sponsorship, drug testing and brand investment and it will take them a few years to figure it out or they will end up selling for at least a billion dollar loss.

I like it if its true. They should also do less PPV's and more Fox - FS1 cards.

First off......the investment was worth less than $2billion........when you consider they/Zuffa were only making about $100million a year profit. So that means WME/IMG paid almost 25 to 30 years of profit added in the brand value.They WAY overpaid......and the only way they can earn their money back is long term. They better figure it out in the next few years IF they want to be a legitimate sport that will be around for decades to come or do they want to be "entertainment" and a "sports circus".......They need structure, rules on titles and succession and title defenses, schedules and other relevant things including sponsorship, drug testing and brand investment and it will take them a few years to figure it out or they will end up selling for at least a billion dollar loss.

fertittas sucked all the value out of the company before they left through guys like Conor and trading their brand value and credibility for some big gates. They destroyed the credibility of the HW division so they could have a fat one legged Cain sell Mexico. LOL fertittas are las vegas hustlers and the dumb hollywood casuals wanted to get in the fight game, cause all their A-list friends talk about how cool it is (lol) and got robbed. fertittas truly are gangsters

High level movement in Woodley-Thompson II? Are you sure your didn't watch a Cruz/Dillashaw/Cody fight by mistake?

I saw two guys afraid to even take an angle much less take an angle and throw a strike.

High level movement in Woodley-Thompson II? Are you sure your didn't watch a Cruz/Dillashaw/Cody fight by mistake?

I saw two guys afraid to even take an angle much less take an angle and throw a strike.

You probably have never fought or sparred in your life. You have to really understand fighting to appreciate all aspects.

Looking at the upcoming calendar, and I'm not seeing any multiple events in the same day in different continents/time zones like before, when they'd put on one card in Europe/Australia, with another in North America within the same 24hour span.

And I'm also not seeing any Friday/Saturday/Sunday 2 or 3 consecutive day events either like how Zuffa used to do (with the exception of 4th of July fight week). Can we expect events to be more spaced out from here on out?

You make it sound like they do that a lot?

Theres only one year in the last 5 where they did a lot of that (2014)

Dec 9 - Albany
Dec 10 - Toronto

Nov 19 - Brazil
Nov 19 - Belfast

July 7-9 Fight Week

Dec 11 - Tuf
Dec 12 - Vegas
Dec 10 - Vegas

July 11-12 Fight Week

Dec 13 - Phoenix
Dec 12 - TUF

Nov 8 - Brazil
Nov 8 - Sydney

Oct 4 - Halifax
Oct 4 - Stockholm

Aug 23 - Oklahoma
Aug 23 - China

July 5-6 Fight Week

June 28 San Antonio
June 28 Auckland

May 31 Brazil
May 31 Berlin

none

Dec 15 TUF
Dec 15 Australia

Jun 23 Brazil
Jun 22 New Jersey

None

2014 was an anomoly. Generally they only double up in december (TUF finale and regular card) and Fight week in July

If you ignore 2014, theyve only done double headers (that I can find) outside of that twice

as it is we know theres multiple fights fight week, and there will probably be a double header in december with Tuf and a regular card..

same as every other year (except 2014)

When there's a fight a week Sherdog forums are more lively. People maintain a peak level of enthusiasm, at least I do. So besides getting to watch a fight event a week - which is always the best part of any media-viewing week for me - Sherdog is more fun because of it.

Are there going to be fewer events? The employed fighters list is quite a bit smaller now, isn't it? So it follows then that there will be fewer events. Hope I'm wrong.

You probably have never fought or sparred in your life. You have to really understand fighting to appreciate all aspects.
You must be on some next level sparring then because UFC fighters more or less unanimously agree with me that they were being timid, not strategic.

Watch Overeem vs Bigfoot to see strategy.

You make it sound like they do that a lot?

Theres only one year in the last 5 where they did a lot of that (2014)

Dec 9 - Albany
Dec 10 - Toronto

Nov 19 - Brazil
Nov 19 - Belfast

July 7-9 Fight Week

Dec 11 - Tuf
Dec 12 - Vegas
Dec 10 - Vegas

July 11-12 Fight Week

Dec 13 - Phoenix
Dec 12 - TUF

Nov 8 - Brazil
Nov 8 - Sydney

Oct 4 - Halifax
Oct 4 - Stockholm

Aug 23 - Oklahoma
Aug 23 - China

July 5-6 Fight Week

June 28 San Antonio
June 28 Auckland

May 31 Brazil
May 31 Berlin

none

Dec 15 TUF
Dec 15 Australia

Jun 23 Brazil
Jun 22 New Jersey

None

2014 was an anomoly. Generally they only double up in december (TUF finale and regular card) and Fight week in July

If you ignore 2014, theyve only done double headers (that I can find) outside of that twice

as it is we know theres multiple fights fight week, and there will probably be a double header in december with Tuf and a regular card..

same as every other year (except 2014)
2014 was the most events in a year. They started backing down in 2015 and 2016 before WME.

Back