Why do fans (particularly sherdog) feel the necessity for longevity in a fighters career?

JokerOfThePack

There's no I in team but there's a U in c*nt
@Blue
Reaction score
This subject is partially addressed to Conor McGregor but I want to know why it is fundamental to have longevity in a rough, brutal combat sport?

I am a fan of his, at least I was. I don't like his new found money based bravado but I like and admired his humble beginning. He has always said that he wanted to be a two weight world champion, get rich, then get out and I respect that.
But for some reason, fans and haters, discredit previous accomplishments because of his lack of willingness to continue.
I get that if you want to call yourself the best then you should devote your life to it, however, if you can do it during a smaller timeline, would you not want to embrace it?
We all work. We all make money, albeit very little for some of us, but if you had the opportunity to make twice you make for half the time, you would take it right?

Any ways, I guess my main question is: why do we fans expect so much from an athlete of this sport when it takes so much out of you during every contest? And why is it necessary to prolong your career in 'the hurt business' when you hardly get recognised for your achievements?

There's nothing wrong with retiring early but if you don't have as many big wins you won't be viewed as highly as those who proved more against a greater number of top opponents.

if you think Conor doesnt get recognised for his achievements you are insane.... there is a world outside sherdog

oh and he isnt going anywhere

If you have a favorite fighter, it sucks when they stop fighting.

{<shrug}

I don't think anyone discredits Conor's accomplishments, so I don't know where you're coming from. They may say he got preferential match-making in order to achieve his accomplishments, but the fact remains that he's still accomplished what he's accomplished and nobody can take that away from him.

In regards to your question: We expect more from Conor right now because he's been a champion in the UFC for over a year and he's never once defended a belt. We expect to see him defend his belt, and if he doesn't, then he can retire; but until he retires, I think it's completely normal for us fans to expect him to defend his belt, to fight new challengers, and to continue his career. That's the very nature of a fighter, and especially a champ.

Last edited:
they want to see them build a legacy and be fully tested before retiring.

because fans want to see people they like fight as many times as they can

its the same way with music and why Blink-182 is still making music after 20 years

The innate selfishness of people. Them fighting brings pleasure while them stopping halts it.

Haters are usually either jealous or heartbroken from a previous loss.

Seems to be the other way around in here. The moment a fighter had a very tough fight or loss you will see immediate calls for his retirement.

Back