The "There aren't many flyweights" argument is invalid.

AngryManlet

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So please stop repeating this and spewing "Flyweight isn't deep enough".

Let's get a couple of facts straight. Just like there are few 125 athletic men in the world, there are also very few athletic Heavyweights in the world. Furthermore, many of them are brought into the NFL.

So unlike heavyweight, competitive flyweights athletes are brought into the UFC and its not just the guys who didn't make it into major sports.

I can hear another argument, "But Heavyweight involves more risks cause of KO power"

This is not an argument either. Because Flyweight includes more skill-level risks to compensate for the (existing but fewer KO power). So, if anything this is in FAVOR of flyweights. Sure, you can get caught at Heavyweight, but the skill bar is significantly higher at flyweight to compensate for this lack feature. Name me a competitive flyweight in the UFC who has a bad W-L record like Mark Hunt, I'll wait.

At flyweight, you aren't getting lucky by winging shots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Post to username accuracy over 100%

Name me a competitive flyweight in the UFC who has a bad W-L record like Mark Hunt, I'll wait.
Ben Nguyen. 17-6. #13 ranked Flyweight in the world. Fought significantly worse competition than Hunt and has 5 knockout losses

Let's get a couple of facts straight. Just like there are few 125 athletic men in the world, there are also very few athletic Heavyweights in the world. Furthermore, many of them are brought into the NFL.

So unlike heavyweight, competitive flyweights athletes are brought into the UFC and its not just the guys who didn't make it into major sports.

I can hear another argument, "But Heavyweight involves more risks cause of KO power"

This is not an argument either. Because Flyweight includes more skill-level risks to compensate for the (existing but fewer KO power). So, if anything this is in FAVOR of flyweights. Sure, you can get caught at Heavyweight, but the skill bar is significantly higher at flyweight to compensate for this lack feature. Name me a competitive flyweight in the UFC who has a bad W-L record like Mark Hunt, I'll wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best fighters in that division are former bantamweights. Nuff said.

Ben Nguyen. 17-6. #13 ranked Flyweight in the world. Fought significantly worse competition than Hunt and has 5 knockout losses

17-6 is a great record. Lol at comparing that to Hunt.

Mark Hunt is 12-11 and 17-6 are not the same.

Losses are losses the nature of how you lose isn't necessarily relevant.

He is 9-1 in his last 10 fights.

i think someone has had a little too much to drink think

You're an idiot. Chuck Liddell has 6 knockout losses.

17-6 is a good record.
Chuck Liddell was a champion and fought top competition. Who has Nguyen fought? 17-6 is a solid record. Being knocked out 5 times vs regional level competition simply is not.

It's a totally valid argument, and your post did nothing to dissuade it.

For the most part, there are far fewer known/ skilled fighters at flyweight. Very few guys in that weight division have made a name for themselves. Look at DJs entire run at FLW. Of all of those fighters, Benavidez, Dodson, and McCall were highly regarded fighters leading up to their showdowns with DJ. It's also why he's fought all of those guys twice. I guess you could consider Cejudo one as well, though that be more on the merit of his wrestling pedigree than his MMA one.

The other guys were fighters rushed into title shots without showing any proof they could hang with the other top fighters in the division, let alone DJ. Moraga, Cariaso, Bagautinov, and Horiguchi all fall into this group. Even Horiguchi, who was and is a very promising prospect, never got his chance to cut his teeth against other top FLWs before he was pushed into a shot against DJ, likely because they were afraid a guy like Dodson or Benavidez would derail him. To put it even more clearly, the guys mentioned in this paragraph have a combined record of 6-8 since fighting DJ. That looks even worse when you remove Horiguchi from the mix, as he has 3/6 combined wins (so, 3-7 since fighting DJ, subtracting a loss to since one of Horiguchi's wins was over Bagautinov whose loss I included).

That's why people say the division is thin. Plain and simple, there aren't that many good fighters in it. No one questions the skillset of DJ, but he's not exactly dominating a talent rich, developed division.

Yeah there's tons of athletic 125ers. And they're all 12 years old

Only one way to settle this, then:

Match up the top 5 heavyweights against the top 5 flyweights.

Put them on the same card. We'll call it...

UFC 220: The Quest to Test AngryManlet's Clearly Stupid Theory

Back