Cowboy turns 34 today. How much longer will we have him?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Donald!

Donald has been one of the most active guys in the history of the UFC. He has fought 34 times between his WEC and his UFC fights. He has averaged 3.4 fights per year for 10 years and that is just his WEC/UFC career. Donald also went 7-0 before he got to the WEC, giving him a total of 41 MMA fights. Donald actually started with kickboxing and went 13-0 in amateur fights, before going pro at about age 18. He then went 28-0-1 in professional kickboxing. That is 42 more full contact fights. He also had 1 boxing fight where he was TKO'd. Donald has fought 64 times professionally and 77 times if you include his amateur kickboxing fights. His career began at about 16 and he is now 34. 18 years of fighting pretty consistently. That is a fuck ton of mileage. Think about the thousands of hours of sparring, drilling, and just wear and tear on the body.

Donald has looked very impressive as of late. He was great at 155 but he just cut that weight for so long and it became a detriment. He was so close to a title shot at 170 until the Masvidal fight. He looked pretty decent in that fight until the boxing became too much, which is one of his weaknesses. That KO was definitely damaging. I have never seen him so out of it, and on top of it he really got KO'd twice in one fight. Hopefully he takes at least six months off and takes a tuner fight. All of this begs the question. How many times will we see him fight ever again? Most 155 and 170 fighters are physically done by the time they are 36.

3 more fights maybe unless Dana feeds him lesser guys. Great fighter. I say give him 3 cans to crush then a title shot at 170.

He still young but he should relax a little, 4 fights/year it's too much. Stay healthy brother.

34 is not old even for MMA. I think past 40 is when you might start slowing down.

If your healthy and work out and are athletic you should stay at close to peak much longer than the average Joe.

He still young but he should relax a little, 4 fights/year it's too much. Stay healthy brother.

I think if he only fought 2 MAYBE 3 times at most a year he could definitely stretch his career to 36 comfortably. However if he gets KO'd like he did last time I say hang it up.

34 is not old even for MMA. I think past 40 is when you might start slowing down.

If your healthy and work out and are athletic you should stay at close to peak much longer than the average Joe.

I think that is a little ambiguous, the average age really does vary by fight weight class. Heayweights are the oldest. 125-145 are the youngest. 170 is truly the average. Can you name one guy other then Maia who is older then 38 who is a top 15? Can you name one guy EVER who was a top fighter into their 40's in present day MMA outside of LHW and HW? Vitor doesn't count either.

the way he spends money I think he will be fighting for 6 more years, so lets say between 20-24 more fights

So in college, my frat bro's were always like "Louie, why are you such a prick all the time?"

And I'd be like.... "Fuck all of you douche nozzles."

He drinks alot and does extreme sports like wakeboarding or surfing or something. So it could be a ticking time bomb. Plus he just got pooned by Whore Hey Mas Vital

34 is prime for mma depending on how many fights uve had.

Weidman is going to be 33 this year. You think he will retire in 2 years? No.

Even look at soccer, Ronaldo is 32. Yet he just won the ballon d'or. This would not be the case in 2001 where players were considered old at 32. Zidane retired at 33 and was considered very old.

Weidman has 11 UFC fights over a 6 year period and took basically zero damage in 7/11 out his fights. Even though he did wrestle as a young man, he never took the sustained brain punishment that Cowboy has received over nearly 2 decades of striking and doing MMA. Weidman has only had 4 UFC fights where he actually got appreciable damage. Romero, Rockhold, and Lyoto, and maybe the few punches Vitor landed, otherwise he pretty much swamped his opponents.

He drinks alot and does extreme sports like wakeboarding or surfing or something. So it could be a ticking time bomb. Plus he just got pooned by Whore Hey Mas Vital

Forgot to mention that. He lives a pretty extreme lifestyle and is a functioning alcoholic. Love the guy, but we are all human.

3 more fights maybe unless Dana feeds him lesser guys. Great fighter. I say give him 3 cans to crush then a title shot at 170.

What do you think the other contenders would say if he got a title shot coming off wins over cans?

34 is prime for mma depending on how many fights uve had.

Weidman is going to be 33 this year. You think he will retire in 2 years? No.

Even look at soccer, Ronaldo is 32. Yet he just won the ballon d'or. This would not be the case in 2001 where players were considered old at 32. Zidane retired at 33 and was considered very old.

Training methods, dietary regimens and rehabilitation procedures have come a long way since the early 2000's. LeBron is also 32 now and he's still the best player in the league albeit by less of a margin than in years past. Depending on weight class and fighting style, guys can last well into their late 30's and sometimes their 40's. Hell, look at boxing. Golovkin is 34, Kovalev and Ward are 33, Rigondeaux is 36, Pac Man is 38 and Mayweather is 39. It's not like those are your average ham and eggers either. They're the p4p best.

So much can happen between now and 2019... Cowboy is right there on the doorstep of 2 divisions and shit happens...

I think he's got quite a few years left, unless he starts getting KO'D left and right. He never really relied on his speed and reflexes as much as his timing and accuracy either. I honestly see Cowboy kinda being one of those guys like Hendo, he just likes to fight and will be around awhile imo.

Just like UFC fashion,

He will have been chewed up and spit out on the curb like an old piece of gum.

That's what's in store for him when it comes to how the UFC treats their athletes.

lol what

Back