Could the UFC owners stop USADA testing anytime if they wanted?

BjPenn2017

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Legitimate question. Could the owners of the UFC put a halt to USADA testing if they felt it necessary? Or is USADA here to stay in the UFC? I'm not here to debate it and steroids personally liked UFC before USADA, just wondering.

the short answer is yes.

the longer answer is, there are political ramifications, and deals with the AC's that would need to be renegotiated.

Of course. It's an agreement between two entities and UFC can certainly back out.

Wasnt the UFC the one that brought them in, in the first place? Yes they can back out at any time, but i guess the AC might have a word about it, but, it was still the UFC´s decision, in the end its not like they are runing the sport, its more like they are catching everyone and their mom cheating.

No, the owners would be subject to 24/7 testing if they tried such a thing.

de jure yes. de facto no.
between pr, athletic commissions and some fighters actually wanting to be clean it would be extremely difficult to pull off in reality

Of course. It's an agreement between two entities and UFC can certainly back out.
Except that they have a contract with USADA, and breaking that contract would have consequences for them. They can wait until the contract ends and then refuse to re-sign, but otherwise, they "can" back out of it, but they'll have to face whatever the ramifications are (likely financial penalties) on top of the PR disaster when they announce they don't want to do rigorous drug testing anymore.

They need to trash USADA and Reebok ASAP and make the UFC great again.

Vitor approves of this

exnicq279m8qz40d2xmwaoir9.jpg

Look at the NFL, they test for roids but not HGH and that is in the contract with the players association. UFC is shooting itself in the foot with the strict testing. Hell, even Olympic athletes are still juicing! With the latest and greatest human enhancers. Just like with everything else, moderate the use.

I would assume they could end it at some point if they want.

I think in the big picture USDA has been good. Every system will always need tweaking to get the best out of it and I'm sure it will continue to get tweaked. But regardless its a 1000% better than any AC is doing or could do. Let's also not forget the majority of issues with USDA and Fighters is usually the fighter's mistake because they didn't take the time to educate themselves on what they can take, what they can't, or how does the procedures work in certain situations(ie: prescribed by doctor a substance). A majority of the problems start with the fighters.

Practically speaking, they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

It's funny I used to want the UFC to clean up the fighters but now that they have I'm regretting it. Most of the top fighters either got caught or had a significant body or performance change. My man GSP literally left the sport for 4 years and it allowed a journeyman in Bisping to win the MW Title. USADA has definitely thrown a wrench in the UFC.

Except that they have a contract with USADA, and breaking that contract would have consequences for them. They can wait until the contract ends and then refuse to re-sign, but otherwise, they "can" back out of it, but they'll have to face whatever the ramifications are (likely financial penalties) on top of the PR disaster when they announce they don't want to do rigorous drug testing anymore.

indeed. there would certainly be financial implications if you bear in mind that USADA actually now have dedicated UFC staff so there are jobs etc on the USADA side at stake.

The PR aspect would cause potentially irretrievable damage

It's funny I used to want the UFC to clean up the fighters but now that they have I'm regretting it. Most of the top fighters either got caught or had a significant body or performance change. My man GSP literally left the sport for 4 years and it allowed a journeyman in Bisping to win the MW Title. USADA has definitely thrown a wrench in the UFC.

But, if Bisping is clean, then isnt that an amazing thing that hes been afforded the chance to be world champion. something that was impossible before.

yes, and they should. its cost em too many fights, and its expensive

I think in the big picture USDA has been good.

I agree. Personally I think watching Vitor quit and get beat up in 60 seconds way funnier then watching his juiced to the gills self KO some less juiced victim in 45 seconds.
I'm not really sure what these ameritard juice freaks think they're missing anyway, the last 12 months or so were pretty exciting. It's not like the in ring entertainment declined. My only guess is they prefer jacking it to oily, exotic Brazilian muscles than flabby dadbods. In which case, OK but go watch pro wrasslin' or bodybuilding instead...

Back