The Conor McGregor argument

Mcgregor's UFC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Should Conor defend, should he do this, should he do that, all these opinions here is mine. Conor has yet to defend one of his belts yes however when RDA pulled Aldo was called for a rematch but he "Wasn't ready" which seems rather odd, as he likes to talk big about a rematch but when he was offered one he claimed he needed more time.

I do however 100% agree Conor needs to defend his lightweight title against Tony or if the UFC were to make a Diaz vs Tony or Barbosa vs Tony he needs to defend against the victor. But I see so many people hating on him for pursuing a Mayweather fight, those people need to ask themselves "If I had a chance to make that much $ and stamp myself as a legend for conducting a crossover fight against one of the greatest boxers of all time would I turn that down?" No way your answer is "Yes I would rather defend my UFC lightweight belt"

Conor is currently on a break which I don't think you can argue he doesn't deserve as he's been one of the most active fighters over the past few years, and nobody ever has a problem when other fighters go on breaks, granted yes he is the champion, and Champions don't usually take breaks but Conor is unique. Conor needs to defend yes but just keep in mind, the chances of him defending after Mayweather fight if it is to happen are very high. Just my opinion, what do you think?

Last edited:
People will shit on you because you didn't use any paragraphs, because of your username, and also maybe because you're still a white belt in this forum. That said, I actually agree with you.

I'm just not quite sure whether the chances of him defending his belt after #MayMac are really that high like you're saying. I think it is far more likely that he cashes in, retires and never looks back — but then again, can you really blame him?

I didn't think people would care that much about paragraphs, but yes I would agree I could see an early retirement as he has spoken about it many times, but he's also said a 3rd fight wth Diaz will "Absolutely happen down the road" so we will see.

Diaz smoked connor 2 times with relative ease

Nate GOAT

LOL'D

I don't disagree. Of course anyone in the world would take the Mayweather fight, it checks every box no matter what your priorities are (biggest $$$$ fight, a chance to say you where in one of the biggest - and certainly the most unique - fights of all time, and an opportunity to make history in a gargantuan way by defeating one of boxing's greatest fighters), and as long as he defends his Lightweight Title in his first fight back, I have no issues with it.

He's not coming back. The Floyd fight would put anyone in retirement.

Too much money

The money he would make with Mayweather is way to big to pass up. In fact, I am worried that it could ruin his career in MMA or at least take away that motivation to fight.

Remember early on he told everyone that he would make tons of money and quit the sport before he was damaged. If he makes $50+ million in the Mayweather fight why come back to fight killers for a few million?

I'd love to see him defend his belts but I am not optimistic.

Diaz smoked connor 2 times with relative ease

Nate GOAT

LOL'D

Maybe in some alternate universe he did...haha I saw nate got his ass whooped in the 2nd fight, after a full camp.

The money he would make with Mayweather is way to big to pass up. In fact, I am worried that it could ruin his career in MMA or at least take away that motivation to fight.

Remember early on he told everyone that he would make tons of money and quit the sport before he was damaged. If he makes $50+ million in the Mayweather fight why come back to fight killers for a few million?

I'd love to see him defend his belts but I am not optimistic.

He will never fight in the ufc again for anything less than 20+ million per fight...with the numbers he brings in, he will get it...or he won't fight.

He will never fight in the ufc again for anything less than 20+ million per fight...with the numbers he brings in, he will get it...or he won't fight.
Sounds right. And I don't know if the UFC can pay him that. The only fight that I can see bringing in huge money is the 3rd Diaz fight or maybe GSP.

Should Conor defend, should he do this, should he do that, all these opinions here is mine. Conor has yet to defend one of his belts yes however when RDA pulled Aldo was called for a rematch but he "Wasn't ready" which seems rather odd, as he likes to talk big about a rematch but when he was offered one he claimed he needed more time.

I do however 100% agree Conor needs to defend his lightweight title against Tony or if the UFC were to make a Diaz vs Tony or Barbosa vs Tony he needs to defend against the victor. But I see so many people hating on him for pursuing a Mayweather fight, those people need to ask themselves "If I had a chance to make that much $ and stamp myself as a legend for conducting a crossover fight against one of the greatest boxers of all time would I turn that down?" No way your answer is "Yes I would rather defend my UFC lightweight belt"

Conor is currently on a break which I don't think you can argue he doesn't deserve as he's been one of the most active fighters over the past few years, and nobody ever has a problem when other fighters go on breaks, granted yes he is the champion, and Champions don't usually take breaks but Conor is unique. Conor needs to defend yes but just keep in mind, the chances of him defending after Mayweather fight if it is to happen are very high. Just my opinion, what do you think?
lots more to the rematch then aldo just declining for one. Also conor needs to defend its pretty fucking simple, he was gifted a title shot against the easiest 155fight in the top 10 for him at the time. the least he could do is now defend the title he didnt deserve to even fight for in the first place

I like Conor, but right when he went up in weight, he got a lot more picky. Kind of expected him to continue his mojo and make it a personal challenge to destroy the top 5.

I Think you are on glue. Conor makes 100 million fighting Floyd, he rides off into the sunset. He's on record that he wants to make the cash and get out early.

I have had a change of heart when it comes to Conor, and defending his belt(s). Ultimately, it is not Conor's plan to become a champion, and then defend it for the promotion.

The reality is that Conor himself, represents a title unto himself, and everyone, within 2 weight classes, is chasing that title. At one time, the UFC title represented the key to riches in MMA. But now, being Conor's opponent is the surest way to get paid...

From the sounds of things, guys like Stipe and Woodley are not getting any sort of extraordinary payday now they are UFC Champions... But Nate Diaz sure as hell did... It appears that Chad Mendes made his biggest payday taking the short notice fight with Conor...

The traditionalist side of me thinks the entire situation is abhorrent... long-term this can only do damage to the UFC brand. The UFC title does not represent what it once was...

Think about it, if Conor threw his title(s) into the trash tomorrow, would anyone really care? Would it diminish his drawing power? If, for some reason Conor managed to free himself of his UFC contract, would he no longer be the biggest draw in the sport?

This is not to defend the circus around Conor, or his many of his antics... it is just a rational assessment that defending the LW title, or the unofficial FW title for that matter, is not in Conor's self interest. He is the only fighter in the roster, that has any form of leverage, and he is using it to build up his personal brand. Is that good for the sport? Nope.. is it good for the LW division? Nope.. Is it good for the UFC? Not in the least... but it is good for Conor...

Can't blame Conor for protecting his future earning potential when he knows his cardio and sub defense are not champion level

If you dicktuck defending your belt then you aren't much of champ.

History will remember Conor as a gifted mouthpiece but not in the same league as the real champions who constantly faced legit contenders and cleaned out divisions.

The only way Conor won't return to the UFC after the Floyd fight, is if the UFC refuse to compensate him fairly, although the UFC may well use their position in these Conor vs Floyd negotiations as leverage to get him to complete his current contract.

Back