What is the UFCs best division right now?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
The most storied division in the sports history is probably light heavyweight, but's for sure not the best division right now

HW never quite got all the top talent in the same place to ever be the best
WW at one point had the most depth, but right now it looks pretty meh and a lot of the top talent is outside of the UFC
LW is still great, but that division feels a little stalled right now because the champion is nowhere to be found
FW kinda of feels stale, but there are some good prospects coming up

MW has always been kind of shitted on (imo because Anderson made it look bad but also because it lacked depth) but right now looks like it has five legit championship level fighters. I think it lacks a bit of depth, but it barely matters. There are eight or so guys who will provide two-three more years of good fights while prospects develop

My choice is BW. It lacks some of the fanfare of the heavier weight classes, but I look at the top 10 and all I see is talent, not to mention prospects down the road

I really love the MW division right now but it's been plagued with all kinds of shit. From injuries to weird titlefights.

The BW division is great also and i love the upcoming titlefight in that div.

The FW division is the division of propects

Good read
My choice is MW, very stacked with an insane amount of potential challengers

I agree with you, lads. Bantamweight it is.

I honestly can't wait for TJ Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt. Not to mention Dominick Cruz, Jimmie Rivera, Bryan Caraway...

Although, the middleweight division seems pretty good just as well. Bisping, Romero, Weidman, Rockhold, Souza, Mousasi... and then there's also Whittaker, and Bruson, and Old Man Silva himself. Crazy.

lightweight is most stacked imo. deepest division, with the most talented top 10.

LW, imo, since you have fighters with good records who are fringe contenders or non-contenders like Miller & Lauzon. The entry to the top 10 is the hardest there since you have to beat better talent to get there.

While LHW has the toughest entry to the top 5 (all fighters included in ranking), as Bader, Thiago Silva and Feijao found out.

FW is shaping up nicely, it now has a strong top 10, but past that you see some Lobov's and Bitchihara's and Avila's, who are basically regional fighters.

I agree with you, lads. Bantamweight it is.

I honestly can't wait for TJ Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt. Not to mention Dominick Cruz, Jimmie Rivera, Bryan Caraway...

Although, the middleweight division seems pretty good just as well. Bisping, Romero, Weidman, Rockhold, Souza, Mousasi... and then there's also Whittaker, and Bruson, and Old Man Silva himself. Crazy.
Yeah, MW's top ten is incredible
It reminds me of LHW right before Jones floated in and wrecked shop and virtually retired everyone

The FW division is the division of propects
It has a good mix of vets and prospects. I would count Holloway as a proven vet at this point despite his young age with his many credible victories. So Aldo, Frankie, Max, Cub, Lamas, KZ, Stephens, Mendes when he returns is plenty of vets. Probably the best mix of vets still going strong and prospects.

Another great thread, TS

Making 15 threads per day is really helping your sherdog reputation to go up

I know you're joking since internet is not serious

On topic:

Best division currently imo is MW

It's stacked with killers (not literally) and i don't see any dominant champ any time soon

alls I know is it's not the Match-Making Division.

lightweight is most stacked imo. deepest division, with the most talented top 10.
I think LW might be literally the most stacked, but I have trouble getting up for that division though
Ferguson/Khabib was the best matchup in the sport this year I think, and that couldn't get done. Conor versus either dude would be amazing, that won't get done. Barboza is lurking outside the top 3

But RDA moved on, Eddie's stock is kind of slumped but I hope he can get it back. Nate Diaz is exciting to think about but he's somewhere on a beach smoking weed, Cerrone moved on. I think on paper LW is still, and has been for a long time, the deepest. But I can't get as excited for it as I've been in the past.

FW, LW, WW, MW are all stacked with talent unfortunately match making choices have been horrible in these divisions leaving us with people avoiding fights left right and centre, trying to hold out for title shots etc.

LW is the perennial contender, but MW is making a strong run at the moment after phoning it in for years.

To me the best division has to be the most competitive. FW and LHW are too lopsided in their talent gap between the champ, top few contenders and the rest of the top 10.

Easily MW. LW is drained compared to the days Penn ran the yard.

This is my opinion as an actual MMA expert and not a Sherdogger.

MW has the most talented and compelling top ten right now in my opinion.

I think LW might be literally the most stacked, but I have trouble getting up for that division though
Ferguson/Khabib was the best matchup in the sport this year I think, and that couldn't get done. Conor versus either dude would be amazing, that won't get done. Barboza is lurking outside the top 3

But RDA moved on, Eddie's stock is kind of slumped but I hope he can get it back. Nate Diaz is exciting to think about but he's somewhere on a beach smoking weed, Cerrone moved on. I think on paper LW is still, and has been for a long time, the deepest. But I can't get as excited for it as I've been in the past.

i agree with your opening statement that "LW is still great, but that division feels a little stalled right now because the champion is nowhere to be found", but i do feel eventually it will get straightened out. either conor returns to defend or he vacates.

and i was sooo looking forward to khabib-tony, so that was yet another letdown in the division.

in addition to the well known names at the top, khabilov, kevin lee, diakiese, taisumov, and possibly gaethje (if ufc can sign him) are others that can make noise in that division.

Strangely, the weight class that has historically been it worst is currently its best: Milddeweight

LW would be great if it had a champ that was interested in actually defending the belt against the division's top contenders.

i agree with your opening statement that "LW is still great, but that division feels a little stalled right now because the champion is nowhere to be found", but i do feel eventually it will get straightened out. either conor returns to defend or he vacates.

and i was sooo looking forward to khabib-tony, so that was yet another letdown in the division.

in addition to the well known names at the top, khabilov, kevin lee, diakiese, taisumov, and possibly gaethje (if ufc can sign him) are others that can make noise in that division.
I forgot that Gaethje is a free agent!
<{pray-uh}><{pray-uh}><{pray-uh}><{pray-uh}><{pray-uh}>

That's something to get excited for if he gets signed

I personally enjoy the WW division. I believe that having Tyron Woodley and Wonderboy fight a 3rd time is mandatory. However, I believe the whole division posses talent and anything can happen in this division.

Back