I think the cut to 135 lbs actually killed Ronda's career...

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was rewatching some of her first fights and man, she was strong as an Ox (and lean) and fast as a bull...
(was much cuter too, lol)...
The way she was arm barring other competitors was insane.
Then, scared to fight Cyborg, she decided to drop to 135 looking emaciated at the weigh ins... I think she could have had a longer career at 145.

6 wins in a row,5 first round stoppages,yep 135 def killed her career.

She never dropped she was always 135 you crack head

Holly, Cat, and Amanda are all as big or bigger than her (and others like Kaufman and Evans-Smith as well), 135 was a normal cut for her.

At 145 she was as small as pre-Neo Tate was for 135.

Was rewatching some of her first fights and man, she was strong as an Ox (and lean) and fast as a bull...
Then, scared to fight Cyborg, she decided to drop to 135 looking emaciated at the weigh ins... I think she could have had a longer career at 145.

You may be right but even at that point in her SF career there was no major future for 145. The 135 tournament had just wrapped up as she was emerging as a challenger and most of the 145 fighters were already gone or moved to 135. Budd is now #2 at 145 and Tweet was #5 before the Anderson fight and Rousey beat both of them in like 2 minutes combined (Cyborg beat Tweet in less than a minute also.)

The same arguments Dana made against 145 back then still exist today. There is NO depth at 145, so who was she going to fight? Cyborg a couple of times like Coenen did after losing at 135 and moving up? How is that going to make for a longer career, win or lose?

Probably more to do with having a one dimensional skill set her entire career.

A weak training camp and head coach killed her career and potential. I think she could have accomplished more if she was training at a place like Jackson-Winklejohn. If Ronda stayed at 145, she would've had no excuse for not fighting Cyborg. Cyborg would have destroyed her, and her hype train before it left the station.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking her moving down to 125.

Sure you do.

Thanks for your totally honest and legitimate thoughts.

She looks like she walks around 160 165.

I also agree with common sense, (while she is a stud, she sucked boxing wise).

Agree with her mom. Get new coaches, and different approach to evolve. Again, common sense.

She had 4 fights at 145...
Her first 135 fight was a dominant 1st rnd win over the champ, a girl much better than the girls she faced at 145.
She won twice as many in a row pretty easily mostly against much better competition.

What are you basing this on?

it definitely wasnt her stand up game and mental approach that killed it

Having poor striking and even worse coaching killed her career.
Imagine if upon signing with the UFC, she joined a proper gym like Tristar or AKA.. where they taught her instead of just letting her hit pads and tell her how great she was

Her body changed drastically over a few years.

It's harder to stay on top of the mountain. Loss of motivation, stardom, crushing competition.

Then there is her fucking coach...

She looks like she walks around 160 165.

I also agree with common sense, (while she is a stud, she sucked boxing wise).

Agree with her mom. Get new coaches, and different approach to evolve. Again, common sense.

she walks around at 153 to 155. now when she bloats up i dunno, but she was 155 for her maxim photo shoot and she said she purposely gained a few pounds, she weighed 153 when she coached tuf and cut to 135 in one day on no notice while slightly sick.

IF, IF she had different coaches she could have had a much different career. at this point she's made her money and is probably thinking it's not worth it. i personally would quit instead of taking the years it would take to learn everything she doesn't know at this point.

Back