Does/will Sonnen ever ditch the kayfabe persona?

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm a Sonnen fan, always have been.. However - watching this press conference it's just becoming so increasingly cringe worthy with the kayfabe. On a couple occasions reporters have called his acting into question, and his hostile responses seemed to break character ever so slightly but he was still trying to maintain somewhat.

The only time I've personally seen him break character was on TUF when interacting with his team. If i had his ear I would advise him that he could sprinkle in the persona stuff occasionally while mostly just being himself. I think he's much more interesting that way and it would come off way better.

he's a mark for his own gimmick, and that's a shoot

I haven't been paying attention to Sonnen much since he left the UFC, but I used to love his gimmick. I can imagine it's pretty stale and forced now though.

Why should he? It gets him a lot of money and it's entertaining.

the "im a straight gangster from west linn oregon" thing was fucking hilarious.

however, he used this persona to get popular and now he should tone it down and just be himself. hes a smart enough guy to get by on that it seems like.

Are you implying he really isn't a gangster from Oregon?

Keep telling yourself that it might come true.
Why wouldn't it?

You don't think there's 200k Brazilians that are willing to pay to watch Wand fight?

You don't think there's at least 400k Russians that will pay to watch Fedor fight?

Not to mention at least 150k Americans will pay?

That's 700k and a successful PPV for Bellator

images

Am I the only one who had to google "kayfabe?"

As for the question, it's far too late to ditch the persona. People saying he should tone it down are missing the boat. If there was a time to tone it down, it was right after the Anderson rematch. He had already gained a following and still had the ability to win fights. But now, the persona is the only thing keeping him afloat. If he stopped doing the song and dance, all that would left would be the fighting, and he's a completely shot fighter at this point.

Why wouldn't it?

You don't think there's 200k Brazilians that are willing to pay to watch Wand fight?

You don't think there's at least 400k Russians that will pay to watch Fedor fight?

Not to mention at least 150k Americans will pay?

That's 700k and a successful PPV for Bellator
Keep telling yourself that it might come true.

Love Chael's gimmick but I do believe its getting a little long in the tooth. I don't believe it isn't as effective as it was back when he was fighting Silva. Fans aren't as drawn in anymore to it.

he actually does not like wand. yes her plays it up, but all fighters are a little crazy and don't think chael isn't either. he wants to kick wands ass and make fun of him and make some money while he is at it.

Don't work yourself into a shoot brother HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back