35 years later and exorcist is still horrifying

I'm with you man, but there are plenty of The Shining supporters. We each have their views and I fully respects their preferences.

Yeah, there are many who really hold it highly, and it is good, don't get new wrong.

Awful film. Same as The Shining. 1/10.

People just feel like they have to jump on the back of them because they're "classics", which they're not.

What makes is scary, above all else, is great writing. You did get a lot of horrors based off excellent novels.

People just feel like they have to jump on the back of them because they're "classics", which they're not.
Or they really love them and you're just out at sea, and seemingly a little pissed about it

Or they really love them and you're just out at sea, and seemingly a little pissed about it

I'm extremely pissed. They had so much hype I had to waste several hours of my life watching them.

There are iconic movies that terrified people upon original viewing. Of course after seeing them 100x it loses its original punch but the Exorcist is an all time terrifying movie. When she stabs herself in the cooch with the cross, holy shit.

In your opinion what horror films do you find more effective than The SHiNiNG and The Exorcist?

I haven't seen it for years...and i'm freaked out by the thought of rewatching it

I'm extremely pissed. They had so much hype I had to waste several hours of my life watching them.
Perhaps old films are the problem. The more you watch tho, the better they get.

Having rewatched it i think the only horrifying thing is how god damn slow and boring it is.

The only good part for me is when the priest is going up the stairs and he has to hear that howling coming from the room.

excorcist 3 is the best of the bunch.

One morning i logged in to read the news and saw,the title:

"Catholic priest Martin Malachi,who inspired the exorcist movie died after he fell when a possessed 4 year old girl spoke to him.
His close friend,and personal driver,ex Cia agent Rob Marrow "he was pushed to his death by an invisible force",he claims.
Ex Cia man Marrow said father Martin offered to carry out an exorcism in Connecticut...bla,bla...
When father Martin arrived et the home the family were already there,and the 4 y.old girl approached him and said "so,you are Malachi Martin,and you think you can help her?It seemed as the demon speaking using girl as a pupet.
He told that encounter between the priest and the girl was the most disturbing thinghe had ever seen"

BS,or not,it's fuckung scarry.

It's scary. 'Shining' literally makes me howl with laughter these days.. Unless I watch it from the very beginning.

I first saw it when I was 4 or 5 at my cousin's house. I didn't understand it and told my mom we watched a movie about a scary doll. She was pissed when she found out what movie I was talking about. Worked out in my favor because anytime after that if I wanted to watch a horror movie she figured it couldn't be worse than The Exorcist.

It's been awhile since I've watched it. Why was the girl possessed? Some sort of artifact get dug up and put in her house or something?

I first saw it when I was 4 or 5 at my cousin's house. I didn't understand it and told my mom we watched a movie about a scary doll. She was pissed when she found out what movie I was talking about. Worked out in my favor because anytime after that if I wanted to watch a horror movie she figured it couldn't be worse than The Exorcist.

It's been awhile since I've watched it. Why was the girl possessed? Some sort of artifact get dug up and put in her house or something?
Regan was possessed by playing with a ouija board. Her dad wasn't around and her mom wasn't around much due to her acting career so Regan befriended what her mom thinks is an imaginary friend called Captain Howdy that she communicates with through the ouija board.

Captain Howdy is actually the demon Pazuzu and he possesses Regan to use her as bait to lure in Father Merrin whom the demon has unfinished business with.

Regan was possessed by playing with a ouija board. Her dad wasn't around and her mom wasn't around much due to her acting career so Regan befriended what her mom thinks is an imaginary friend called Captain Howdy that she communicates with through the ouija board.

Captain Howdy is actually the demon Pazuzu and he possesses Regan to use her as bait to lure in Father Merrin whom the demon has unfinished business with.
Dang I don't remember a ouija board at all. I'm going to rewatch this but I think I'll wait until Halloween is closer.

Dang I don't remember a ouija board at all. I'm going to rewatch this but I think I'll wait until Halloween is closer.
Yeah they don't make a big deal about the ouija board and I think it is only referenced briefly at the beginning.

I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Don't really remember much about it.

The shock value is long gone considering some of the shit Hollywood has put out since.

But its still a classic and enjoyable to watch.

What's the consensus here? Do you think this is still scary? I find it just as disturbing and scary as I did when I was a kid.

Was this movie brilliant and ahead of its time or do you find it as not standing test of time?

What's your opinion on this. I say brilliance.
Words of advice, don't watch it.

One of my all time favorite films. Has a unique flavor too with the long tension filled scenes, dream like edits/scenes, and generally how it was edited together to feel somewhat disjointed while having a realism based directorial and cinematographic style (very similar to the previous Friedkin-Roizman film The French Connection). I think a lot of the best horror films blend the real and surreal together very well so that the surreal elements are more relatable. I prefer the film to the book as well. I also prefer the theatrical cut, though there are some scenes I love in the second cut, like the added Captain Howdy face when Mrs. MacNeil turns on the lights in the kitchen when they are flickering, soon after Regan/the demon kills Burke.

Back