Kelvin Gastelum (1 year ago) says he can't beat the top MW guys

I have him beating the champ easy

Weidman, Rockhold and Mousasi no chance

Romero would be a fun fight

I think he would give all of those guys a tough fight. He probably has more confidence now that he has been crushing fools at MW.

I have him beating the champ easy

Weidman, Rockhold and Mousasi no chance

Romero would be a fun fight
Are you serious haha? You're saying he has no chance against Weidman or them other dudes but Romero would be a "fun" fight?

Maybe fun for sadistic mofo's

His actions show otherwise.

Tim Kennedy is 37 and hadn't fought in over two years. He's now retired. Belfort is about to turn 40, looks completely deflated, and is on a 3 fight losing streak of KO losses.

We don't know how Kelvin matches up with top middleweights yet because he hasn't fought any.

He (still) thinks MW fights are a test and if he wins he can go back to 170.

Are you serious haha? You're saying he has no chance against Weidman or them other dudes but Romero would be a "fun" fight?

Maybe fun for sadistic mofo's

Weidman is too big for him, and so is the others

I feel Romero wouldn't be that much bigger, and also Romero didn't do as well against fighters with good hands and power so far. Jacare did great while putting pressure and power shots. That's what Kelvin does so good

Match up, bitch

I think he could, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anything can happen. Size isn't everything like so many seem to believe. We've seen smaller guys beat much larger opponents tons of times. Kelvin is extremely good. I think he's capable of giving pretty much anybody a tough fight between 170-185. He definitely won't win them all, but I wouldn't count him out.

His boxing could see him be competitive with most of the top guys (not Mousasi) for a short period before the metaphysical facts of size, height and reach come into play

I think he could, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anything can happen. Size isn't everything like so many seem to believe. We've seen smaller guys beat much larger opponents tons of times. Kelvin is extremely good. I think he's capable of giving pretty much anybody a tough fight between 170-185. He definitely won't win them all, but I wouldn't count him out.

-I think Luke stays on the outside and outstrikes him
-Jacare takes him down and submits him
-Weidman takes him down and submits him or ground and pounds him
-Romero just fucks him up everywhere
-Mousasi beats him everywhere and also outboxes him (which is very hard to do against Kelvin)

-I could be wrong but I put this all down to size, at WW he could be champ

Weidman is too big for him, and so is the others

I feel Romero wouldn't be that much bigger, and also Romero didn't do as well against fighters with good hands and power so far. Jacare did great while putting pressure and power shots. That's what Kelvin does so good

Match up, bitch

Size isn't everything. Romero didn't do well against fighters with good hands or power? (like who are you refering to?) Jacare did GREAT?

sk7aQFt.gif

Size isn't everything. Romero didn't do well against fighters with good hands or power? (like who are you refering to?) Jacare did GREAT?

sk7aQFt.gif

People forget that Romero was sick in this fight, and he was gassed out for pretty much the entirety of rounds 2 and 3 (although I think that was mostly due to his output while trying to finish Jacare).

sk7aQFt.gif

Go watch the other 2 rounds

That fight was a draw.

-I think Luke stays on the outside and outstrikes him
-Jacare takes him down and submits him
-Weidman takes him down and submits him or ground and pounds him
-Romero just fucks him up everywhere
-Mousasi beats him everywhere and also outboxes him (which is very hard to do against Kelvin)

I did say that I wouldn't bet on him to win those fights, just that I wouldn't count him out. No fight is a sure thing on how it will end/who will win. You never know what will happen in this sport. I pick those guys against Kelvin too, but it's not crazy to think he could give some of them all they could handle.

I wouldn't bet on him winning any of those fights, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for him to win. It only takes so much force to hurt somebody/knock them out. Clearly his power is good enough at MW due to how he slapped both Kennedy and Vitor around the cage, especially Vitor.

Past prime/non-TRT Vitor or not, those punches would've hurt any version of him. This isn't an example as to why anybody should believe he could beat any of the top MW's right now, just that his power is good enough to hurt pretty much anybody and it's proof that it only takes so much force to hurt somebody, no matter the size difference.

So I don't pick him to win any of these fights, just that it's not crazy to think he could. Anything can happen, especially with somebody as good as Kelvin is. He's only 25 years old too, so he might not even be in his prime yet for all we know. He might be twice as good within the next 3 years, or maybe he peaked early like Shogun and Jones.

He has always shown potential and he's finally living up to it. He's definitely capable of becoming the WW champ and it wouldn't surprise me if he does win that belt someday.

Go watch the other 2 rounds

That fight was a draw.

So if Jacare went to a draw with Romero, how did he do GREAT? Actually the fight was kinda shit and both looked far from great. Yoel did the real damage in that fight though.

Back