Favorite HW that almost made it to the top but didn't

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
Who is your favorite HW who was at one point considered a top contender, but never truly reached the pinnacle of the sport? For example -

Bigfoot
Carwin
Gonzaga
Aleks
Sergei

Preferably stick with guys who are no longer relevant and not ones who still have a shot.

Igor Vovchanchyn
Gilbert Yvel

You said him in the OP, but I was always a big Gonzaga fan.

Carwin.

The primate in me just wanted to see him dominate the top realm with first round knock-outs.

Alas

Definitely Gonzaga...I was glad Randy beat him at the time because I'm a big fan of Randy's, but I would have liked to have seen Gonzaga on top after that...I think he had the skills but just couldn't quite make it happen...

Pedro Rizzo for me, no question
Yup Rizzo. He had the more powerful leg kicks in MMA ever, no one has ever had better. Fighters legs would swell up badly after the very first kick.

The people's champ:

i

Heath Herring

With good coaching and dedication, he could have been a champion.

Who is your favorite HW who was at one point considered a top contender, but never truly reached the pinnacle of the sport? For example -

Bigfoot
Carwin
Gonzaga
Aleks
Sergei

Preferably stick with guys who are no longer relevant and not ones who still have a shot.
Carwin did make it

Interim belt counts in my opinion

Heath Herring

With good coaching and dedication, he could have been a champion.

I think he got close to his potential personally, its just that those knee injuries shortened his career by taking away his agility and cardio.

Sergei is the biggest one for me, at his best I think there was a good case he was up there with the most talented HW's ever but again injury really shortened that prime.

Mark Kerr. He had emotional issues going against him, as well as big holes in his cardio and his striking skill, but if he didn't fall off the wagon he could've been something great.

Back