For which fights did the one-sided majority opinion annoy you?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
As in, which fights had most fans siding strongly with one fighter and you felt it was unjustified? Was reminded of this by somebody mentioning RDA vs Pettis in another thread. Some of mine are:

(was right to doubt the favorite)

RDA vs Pettis
Bigfoot vs Overeem
Rumble vs Gus (don't really remember how one-sided this was, maybe it was just vocal Gus fans)
Werdum vs Cain
Esparza vs Namajunas (this was so weird because Rose was 2-1 and yet most favored her over the champ)
Woodley vs Wonderboy
GREATER THAN GREAT Tate vs Holm and McMann

(was wrong)

Faber vs Cruz 3 (he put up a good fight in their last one and I thought Dom's injuries might affect him)
Glover vs Rumble (love both but thought Glover wasn't getting enough credit)
Bigfoot vs Cain (aww)
Alexis Davis vs Ronda (am actually a huge Ronda fan but thought Davis would be tough, wrong lol)

(pending)

Bisping vs Romero (believe in the One True King of MMA!)
Glover vs Gus
Shogun vs Manuwa (if it ever happens)
Nunes, Tate, Zingano or McMann vs Cyborg (these fights will never happen though lol)

Bisping will destroy Romero, believe it! Well maybe not destroy but squeak out the win... I hope...

Michael Bisping vs. anyone.

I'm always with The Count, believe you me.

bisping-beer.jpg

Rockhold vs. Weidman. People were delusional for that one.

That's part of his charm, I'd say. Haha.
His style isn't pretty enough for these dynamism-loving young 'uns. Like Forrest, Sylvia, Rothwell, Alvarez or Greater Than Great Tate.

Aldo/McGregor.

People thinking Jose would steamroll Conor.

LMAO

any fight that the ufc completely promotes to death. the names are interchangeable but the obvious ones are ronda and conor and the overblown hype just encourages me to cheer against them.

After the fight, I'd say that the opinion that Hendricks beat GSP was annoying.

Rumble vs Glover.

I thought Glover has the power to hurt rumble and better submission skills and he'll be tough to put away.

We know what happened next.

Bisping goes both ways, I think Anderson fans treating him like a complete formality before the fight was annoying but equally people buying into the hype behind him now have become just as bad and should have been shut up by how wrong they got the second Hendo fight.

Rockhold vs. Weidman. People were delusional for that one.
Hindsight being 20/20 sure, but we'd seen Rockhold be stunned a few times before and put out once. Weidman had been an unstoppable monster before who was the guy who dethroned Silva.

BJ v Edgar 1. never got annoyed again, because that fight taught me that JD's cannot be taken too seriously.

it's too bad so many fans take very close fights and think the winning fighter "dominated" and the losing fighter "sucks". if fans had more capacity for subtlety, this sport would be better. but that would involve a) watching fights instead of just looking up a wiki win/loss column, b) appreciating good bouts, and c) appreciating fights that don't have finishes. guess not.

Last edited:
I felt sorry for Eddie Alvarez when - at MSG, which is about 80 miles from where Eddie is from - fans were cheering for Conor and not him.

As in, which fights had most fans siding strongly with one fighter and you felt it was unjustified? Was reminded of this by somebody mentioning RDA vs Pettis in another thread. Some of mine are:

(was right to doubt the favorite)

RDA vs Pettis
Bigfoot vs Overeem
Rumble vs Gus (don't really remember how one-sided this was, maybe it was just vocal Gus fans)
Werdum vs Cain
Esparza vs Namajunas (this was so weird because Rose was 2-1 and yet most favored her over the champ)
Woodley vs Wonderboy
GREATER THAN GREAT Tate vs Holm and McMann

(was wrong)

Faber vs Cruz 3 (he put up a good fight in their last one and I thought Dom's injuries might affect him)
Glover vs Rumble (love both but thought Glover wasn't getting enough credit)
Bigfoot vs Cain (aww)
Alexis Davis vs Ronda (am actually a huge Ronda fan but thought Davis would be tough, wrong lol)

(pending)

Bisping vs Romero (believe in the One True King of MMA!)
Glover vs Gus
Shogun vs Manuwa (if it ever happens)
Nunes, Tate, Zingano or McMann vs Cyborg (these fights will never happen though lol)

Bisping will destroy Romero, believe it! Well maybe not destroy but squeak out the win... I hope...
Somehow I thought this was about the ten-points-must system. As in: if two fighters perform equally well (or bad), why the fuck should one get 10 and the other 9 points.

Weidman vs Mousasi
Everyone thinks Mousasi will eat Weidman live

Weidman vs Mousasi
Everyone thinks Mousasi will eat Weidman live
Mousasi seems to build hype pretty easily as he's a cult favorite lol. Weidman does seem like a bad matchup for him if his head is still on straight.

Somehow I thought this was about the ten-points-must system. As in: if two fighters perform equally well (or bad), why the fuck should one get 10 and the other 9 points.

ya i was listening to a podcast (cannot find it now) with two guys more knowledgeable than 99.9% of sherdog, one emphatically thought more 10-10's were needed and the other just as emphatically thought that if you cannot figure out who fought better after 5 minutes you don't deserve to be a judge.

the first guy basically thought "if two reasonable people disagree who won, then it should be a draw" and the latter guy was talking about watching footwork, pressure, stances, etc, not necessarily the stuff people usually think about (e.g. the 3rd or 4th criteria 'cage control').

it was an interesting debate. i'll see if i can find it.

i definitely side with one of them, but the debate definitely made me stop and appreciate the opposing viewpoint.

Back