When a top fighter dominates a top fighter(UFC only)

MMACroatia

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about these fights so i will put some examples,so people do the same.Take into consideration public opinion before the fight happend where most of people thought it will be a very close,even fight but it turned out to be a very one sided,dominant win,only top 5 fighters at the time counts.

Mighty Mouse vs John Dodson II-So for this rematch i feel like DJ fought a guy who is a top 10 and defeated him easily comapred to their first fight,made Dodson look ordinary while actually he was clearly the 2nd best guy who gave a lot of trouble to the champ in the first fight.

Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar II-Frankie was on a good winning streak and lost at 145 only to Aldo,combined with Aldo's KO loss to Conor many people thought Edgar can take this or at least make it close.Aldo went on totally winning this in a more impressive way than expected by people,shutting down Frankie's wrestling and pretty much just boxing him,not using his primary weapon winch are his low kicks.

Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira-Glover had a lot of believers,he had a good boxing with big power,good wrestling and BJJ,chin.For 2 rounds it was competitive but from the 3rd round Jones took over and put on a beating,dominating Glover in every position.

I would also mention GSP vs Penn II and vs Koscheck II,dominating and beating them to the pulp,they didn't seem like top fighters while in the cage with GSP.
So go ahead guys give your examples.

Jones tooling Shogun was hard to watch
24aziq1.gif

Jones Vs anybody other than Gus.

GSP vs Hughes 2 and 3 were pretty crazy, considering how dominant Hughes was up until that point.

Cain mauling JDS in the rematches comes to mind as well. Can't get more dominant than that IMO.

jdsface.gif

24aziq1.gif

It was great to watch. Even better was laughing at all of the guys who thought that Jones had no chance and that Shogun would "eat up those chicken legs with leg kicks".

It was great to watch. Even better was laughing at all of the guys who thought that Jones had no chance and that Shogun would "eat up those chicken legs with leg kicks".
Exactly why this doesn't qualify.It wasn't some 50-50 opinion about the fight that could go either way.

Exactly why this doesn't qualify.It wasn't some 50-50 opinion about the fight that could go either way.

Maybe my memory is off, but I seem to remember that people were pretty split on this match. A lot of people favored Shogun, but also a lot of people favored Jones.

It kind of was though. As is usual with Sherdog, half thought that Jones would win and others (maybe more) thought that Jones had no chance.

There weren't many that thought it would be close, but it was certainly had an "anything could happen" feel about it.

Maybe my memory is off, but I seem to remember that people were pretty split on this match. A lot of people favored Shogun, but also a lot of people favored Jones.

As far as I remember, Jones was favored by the majority maybe like 60-40

Surely Alvarez vs McGregor takes the biscuit here, not only was McGregor moving up a weight class but a lot of people thought Alvarez was going to grapplefuck McGregor to a decision. Even the biggest McGregor fan could not have predicted that level of destruction.

Surely Alvarez vs McGregor takes the biscuit here, not only was McGregor moving up a weight class but a lot of people thought Alvarez was going to grapplefuck McGregor to a decision. Even the biggest McGregor fan could not have predicted that level of destruction.
To me i had Conor by clear KO/TKO win winch i can back up,as many others also did say.It is close and might qualify for this topic.
Now RDA vs Pettis comes to mind...

To me i had Conor by clear KO/TKO win winch i can back up,as many others also did say.It is close and might qualify for this topic.
Many did think a clear KO/TKO and few would admit that they gave Eddie a chance after that performance but there was definitely a vocal segment saying that Eddie would win. I personally had it as a tossup as to implemented their game better, Conor did so in incredible fashion.

I thought Conor would win and bet on him, but no way did I expect the sort of performance Conor turned in. That was a breathtaking annihilation.

I predicted more of a destruction

24aziq1.gif
so hard to watch, hurt my soul to pay out a couple of my buddies who bet on jones that night. couldnt believe i had so many people betting against shogun that night. Jones ran thru him

Me. I am that guy who thought that, to the point i had money on the fight. and im pretty sure that was one of my exact quotes going into the fight about jones chicken legs

It kind of was though. As is usual with Sherdog, half thought that Jones would win and others (maybe more) thought that Jones had no chance.

There weren't many that thought it would be close, but it was certainly had an "anything could happen" feel about it.
Yeah jones was a fill in for rashad at the time. Most hardcore fans had shogun winning from what i remember, maybe im bias cause i thought shogun was winning for sure, but i was a minority with that thought

Back