Statistics on the Impact of Groin Shots on the Outcome of Fights?

Kneepocalypse

This is your god now.
@Silver
Reaction score
I've always been curious to see if there is any correlation between fouls, intentional or otherwise, and the percentage of winning. We've already seen intentional fouling lead to a fighter reigning over then stalling the LHW division.

What about groin shots?

Taking into the fact that no fighter is ever penalized for the first groin shot, is there an increased likelihood of winning a fight if you kick your opponent in the balls first? Coaches could take a Moneyball(s) approach and crunch the numbers to see if there is an effect to crunching testicles. If so, fighters could come out of the gate and take that free shot at their opponent's gonads.

You could call this the Cheick Kongo method.

kongo-knees-crocop-2nd-time-o.gif

v2sl83.jpg

cheick-kongo_display_image.jpg

I remember Dana saying no one had ever come back from an eye poke to win a fight. I checked and he was wrong, even though they usually don't. With nut shots i doubt there is much of a disparity though, I wonder if there are any stats out there...

how is this a question? Fuck now I'm thinking about it lol has anyone ever come back from a nut shot? Hughes I think.

Difficult to quantify really, but cause and effect being what it is would no doubt place those that had their nuts kicked at a disadvantage.

how is this a question? Fuck now I'm thinking about it lol has anyone ever come back from a nut shot? Hughes I think.
Of course there will be multiple instances of fighters coming back from nutshots, im curious what the overall trend is. Wish there was some Nate Silver type for MMA to look into this.

Always thought inner thigh shot that slides up and hits the groin as being unintentional or if a fighter moves as a shot is on its way and accidentally gets hit in the groin is accidental.
Then there are the knees or kicks that go straight up the middle. When you watch you just get the feeling it's a dirty shot. Yet taken to slow down the opponent and make him weary or future kicks or knees. Fighters who do this know they'll get a warning and not a point taken the first time it happens.... Yet the damage is done.

There's been fights we've all seen that you know damn well it effected the fighter taking the blow and ended up altering the fight.

Kongo is a great example. He hits a huge amount of groin shots. Has been warned probably more than any other fighter.. Very rarely has he ever had a point taken away. Odd when one considers after a couple of warnings ..... No more shots to the groin land, but before has a real issue keeping his strikes under control. Always had the impression he uses this as a tactic, a successful tactic. So what should he stop? IMO when a fighter is a known offender of the Nut shot.... The ref should warn him before the fight he won't put up with it and if one lands ,it's an automatic point deducted. Sounds harsh for sure, but I bet there would be way less guys taking injury to the family jewels..

Yes it can change the fight drastically (depending on the severity of the blow). It can completely zap your energy that even a full 5 min. won't allow you to recover. So no you could be facing a fighter that just had a 5 min. break is completely refueled whilst you are significantly more worn down than you were before the groinshot.

There is another side to it though. If the groin shot didn't land clean or wasn't even really felt you can milk it to help you recover (especially useful when you're a more explosive fighter).

It seems to me that it would be extremely difficult to accurately assess the changed outcome of fights due to groin shots, but they sure can alter the fight a great deal either way.

I've always been curious to see if there is any correlation between fouls, intentional or otherwise, and the percentage of winning. We've already seen intentional fouling lead to a fighter reigning over then stalling the LHW division.

What about groin shots?

Taking into the fact that no fighter is ever penalized for the first groin shot, is there an increased likelihood of winning a fight if you kick your opponent in the balls first? Coaches could take a Moneyball(s) approach and crunch the numbers to see if there is an effect to crunching testicles. If so, fighters could come out of the gate and take that free shot at their opponent's gonads.

You could call this the Cheick Kongo method.

kongo-knees-crocop-2nd-time-o.gif

v2sl83.jpg

cheick-kongo_display_image.jpg
Yeah but Jones is the GOAT anyway.

It seems to me that it would be extremely difficult to accurately assess the changed outcome of fights due to groin shots, but they sure can alter the fight a great deal either way.
I think it would be interesting just to see the raw totals: in fights where a groin strike was landed, who won more of the times, the fouler or the foulee?

I remember Dana saying no one had ever come back from an eye poke to win a fight. I checked and he was wrong, even though they usually don't. With nut shots i doubt there is much of a disparity though, I wonder if there are any stats out there...

Who was it?

Seems an eye poke pretty much guarantees a loss iirc.

There was a guy years ago on fighter and the kid who is a professional gambler, who came up with a bunch of stats like that, and said a high percentage of fighters who were victims of groin shot ended up
Losing, it was right before the Bisping Rockhold fight

There was a guy years ago on fighter and the kid who is a professional gambler, who came up with a bunch of stats like that, and said a high percentage of fighters who were victims of groin shot ended up
Losing, it was right before the Bisping Rockhold fight
If you or someone can provide a link that would be awesome, precisely what I was looking for.

My girlfriend has a theory that getting kicked in the nuts could result in a surge of testosterone or adrenaline in fight or flight mode. I can't remember what fights but both times she brought it up the fighter who got the low below came back to win shortly after.

My girlfriend has a theory that getting kicked in the nuts could result in a surge of testosterone or adrenaline in fight or flight mode. I can't remember what fights but both times she brought it up the fighter who got the low below came back to win shortly after.
Does your lady smack your sack when she wants to get extra freaky?? :eek:

It's odd. I've seen a few fights where the person kicked in the nuts comes back and annihilates the opposition.

Always thought that kicking someone in the nads would be a good way to get your breath back and get a potential 5 minute brealk.

Everybody that beat Kongo must have had taken one nut shot at least

Back