Why did Cyborg vacate her Invicta title?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Cyborg apparently relinquished her title to gain a title shot against GDR in the UFC. I've got a couple of questions about that.

1.) Since Invicta has a partnership with the UFC couldn't Cyborg be the Invicta and UFC champ?

She already fought twice in the UFC at a catchweight of 140lbs. recently, so, obviously their partnership is co-promotional. (I'm not sure, does the UFC own Invicta?)

2.) Why wouldn't Cyborg wait until she had a fight inked and confirmed to fight GDR for the belt?

Isn't Cyborg jumping the gun? If for some reason the UFC gives someone else a FW title-shot against Germaine de Randamie then Cyborg would have to wait. You'd think Cyborg would get the shot but you never know with Dana. Cyborg could get sidelined by Dana and wish she hadn't relinquished her Invicta belt. Would love to see this fight but if I was Cyborg I would have waited until I had a confirmed fight legal agreement before I vacated my title in Invicta.

Last edited:
Cyborg holding both belts doesn't help anyone. It would just hold up one of the "divisions". No one is defending 2 belts in MMA.

Everyone knows who the real champ is. The UFC can give a shot to whomever they want, it wouldn't fool anybody. Cyborg is the champ.

It wouldn't be the first time Cyborg made a bad business decision.

She had Tito Ortiz be her manager for years.

Yeah, this seems like a dumb move. GDR already showed that she wants no part of Cyborg, starting in the post-fight the moment after she 'won' the title. It won't surprise me at all if she finds a way to not defend against Cyborg right away.

Whatever.

Cyborg just wanted to leave Invicta behind and go to the UFC completely.

I'm certain that that at least comes of this, and even if she doesn't get an immediate shot she will at least beat the hell out of whoever she's matched with and be next in line.

It's elementary, Watson.

The truth is
The real right decision to make is to merge Invicta`s FW division with the UFC, since the UFC basically don`t have a FW division.
Anyway, i really like Megan Anderson and she literally dodged a bullet for now since now she`s the linear champion and won`t have to face Cyborg(for now).
And to end... I believe that the UFC can pay her a lot more better than their Invicta`s counterpart.

The UFC 145 female title was created for Cyborg.

The UFC 145 female title was created for Cyborg.

Yeah, I don't know what she was thinking when she wouldn't take the inaugural FW title in the UFC. She declined it.

The FW division for Cyborg is how the BW division was for Rousey, a division that was super shallow so that Rousey could tear it up and destroy everyone looking like a monster until she met real competition. Cyborg is getting older, she can rule the division as a dominant champ until she gets old or someone eventually surpasses her.

Cyborg is getting the next title shot.

No one wants to see GDR/Holm 2.

Because Invicta is done with her and Cyborg has moved on. They need a new female face in their 145 division too right? Time to try and bring in some new talent to replace her.

the 145 female division will be a huge wasteland of fail. mark my words.

because according to some shertards, she's ducking Invicta fighters...

really, who knows what deals are being made behind the scenes. Im pretty sure she will get the FW strap in UFC once a fight gets booked.

It's clear that she wants nothing to do with Megan Anderson.

Because nobody wants to see Megan Anderson get killed.

Yeah, I don't know what she was thinking when she wouldn't take the inaugural FW title in the UFC. She declined it.

The FW division for Cyborg is how the BW division was for Rousey, a division that was super shallow so that Rousey could tear it up and destroy everyone looking like a monster until she met real competition. Cyborg is getting older, she can rule the division as a dominant champ until she gets old or someone eventually surpasses her.
She declined it because she said she couldn't make the weight cut. Her last cut to 140 was really bad and she wanted to give herself time to recover before doing another cut.

The FW division is really not like how it was for Ronda. I don't like Ronda at all, and actually do like Cyborg, but Ronda unquestionably had tougher competition. Carmouche isn't a can, and has a win over next title contender, Schvenko. Kaufmann has a win over Tate and is a brown belt. McMann is an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling. Davis is a black belt in bjj. Cat is legit, and has a win over one of the girls that took Ronda's soul. Tate is legit, and Davis isn't a can.
There just aren't really any good strikers at BW, which is why Ronda was able to dominate like she did. BW has always been shallow, but it is an oasis in comparison to FW.
There is absolutely nothing at FW.

Maybe she thinks this will put more pressure on GDR since GDR is trying to Duck.

No point in holding onto a title you have no intention of defending anymore. She's in the UFC permanently.

Cyborg has always been under contract with the UFC. She was supposed to use her tenure in Invicta to get her weight down. Obviously, the opposite happened. She's been paid to fight by the UFC the whole time.

No talent. Cyborg's best win is Marloes, who has multiple losses to women at lower weight classes and used to fight at 135. Cyborg herself has only fought six women who did not fight in a lower weight class, and of those six, three have zero wins. The women's top ten at 145 has a lower winning percentage when fighting women from 135 than they do against other women at 145.

Back