Bantamweight division matchmaking; Rivera vs Assuncao or Moraes?

sflcmma0212

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Jimmie Rivera and Raphael Assuncao matching up makes almost too much sense, right? The only top-5 contenders who are available and not injured. Earlier this week, former WSOF Bantamweight champ Marlon Moraes said he wanted in on the action as well. Jimmie Rivera weighs in, but what matchup would you rather see; Rivera-Moraes or Rivera-Assuncao?

Rivera on Assuncao fight: “You got T.J. and Cody fighting, Cruz is hurt, Lineker is hurt and Caraway is hurt. So the only other people are Raphael and myself. I hear Raphael talking about a fight that makes sense is Jimmie Rivera, complaining about not being able to get a title shot and him saying something about picking opponents. He doesn’t pick opponents. Bro, you just won your last fight, you’re calling out Dominick Cruz. What are you talking about picking opponents? You can’t get him because he’s hurt. So let’s go, man! Let’s fight!

"I'll go to Rio, we got a card on June 3rd(UFC 212). I'll go in your back yard, beat you, and look to the next person that’s in front of you. It makes sense, he’s three, I’m five, we’re next in line, all these guys are hurt. Sh*t, let’s make it a number one contender fight. Listen, I haven’t had a number one contender fight, he has. He had T.J (at UFC 200), who he beat in the past, this time around he couldn’t beat him. It was a tough fight. So, let’s let him and I go at it, winner gets that shot at the belt. It makes the most sense, everybody else is hurt. Let’s put on a show."

On Moraes pushing for a fight with him: "Nothing against the guy, but I think he needs to work his way up. How well-known is Marlon in the MMA world? The hardcore fans who are really into MMA know who Marlon is, but does the casual MMA fan know who Marlon is? Look, I trained with the guy, he’s a cool guy, his team, they’re great, down to earth, hard workers, they go out there and do their thing. If you want me to fight someone that’s below me, just give me a guaranteed title shot next and I’ll fight him, no problem. I’ll be 5-0, I’ll be where Cody was when he got his title shot. So I’m fine with that. If they’re going to guarantee me a title shot, hell yeah, I’ll fight whoever you want me to fight. I’ll fight the mailman if you want me to.”

Did chuck even land a single punch on rampage

Back