Machida in his prime vs current LHW division

Not a huge fan. But the guy who stinky legged Rashad might be champ. Atleast top 3 .

No way in hell Machida would beat Daniel Cormier.

Prime Machida, current Machida. Lyoto Machida. Chinzo Machida. DC beats all Machidas.

How do you think he would do against...

DC
Rumble
Glover
Gustafsson
Manuwa
Beats Rumble, Gustaffson, Manuwa, Glover. Loses to Jones. DC is interesting. I'm not sure about DC. You can't use hindsight with this. You have to look at it in the moment.

For example: Before Shogun, there was no formula for Machida. So if all of these guys were going in cold against Machida, the way Rashad was, they all could have wound up getting stopped.

DC wins by wrestling, Rumble catches him with something.

Very good possibility of beating the other 3 though.

I could see Machida avoiding DC's takedowns for 5 rounds and outpointing him. Ditto outpointing Gus and Glover. And Machida is definitely a smarter fighter than Manuwa. But I see Rumble catching him sooner or later.

Shogun killed the Machida era pretty quickly, even though the judges incorrectly gave the first fight to Machida.

How do you think he would do against...

DC
Rumble
Glover
Gustafsson
Manuwa

I'd favor DC and Rumble over 2009 Machida
Gustafsson would be a hard call. I could see Gustafsson winning. Extremely big LHW could give Machida huge problems.

Id favor Machida over Glover and Manuwa

I think Machida would do what he did best and keep moving but I believe all those guys would eventually cut the cage off and start attacking him. Maybe not KO Machida, but they'd start busting him up.

DC suplexes the shit outta him and Rumble tko's him...could beat the other 3, beats glover handily.

How far out of his "prime" when he fought shogun??? it was his first defense.

I'd favor Machida over all those guys.

Rumble won't be able to connect with shit. Machida was an actual master striker.

DC won't be able to chase him down.

Gus is just not on that level.

Manuwa - see Rumble.

TL DR - Machida would out run and out point all those dudes.

I think the Rashad win destroyed Machida. Nothing fucks up a fighters career like confidence.

Same shit happened to Fedor after Sylvia.

People underestimate DC too much. He's probably the second best fighter ever.

Bones basically murdered Machida. Was he already shot?

Prime Machida can beat all. He was a puzzle in the cage but

DC can wrestlerape/smash him.

Rumble can catch him.

Jones can have a repeat performance.

Machida can win and that's all matters.

Prime Machida could be champ. Matchups are everything and prime Machida matches up quite well with all of the above.

DC suplexes the shit outta him and Rumble tko's him...could beat the other 3, beats glover handily.

How far out of his "prime" when he fought shogun??? it was his first defense.
Eh. everyone has bad showings. Machida looked slow as fuck against Shogun in their first fight and never did explode with a flurry like he does in all his fights. I truly do think Machida can defeat Shogun Rua, he just didn't show up those two fights.

No way in hell Machida would beat Daniel Cormier.

Prime Machida, current Machida. Lyoto Machida. Chinzo Machida. DC beats all Machidas.

Actually I think Cormier is the guy at the top of LHW that Machida matchups up with best. I could see him keeping Cormier at range and punishing him with kicks and knees to the body as he tries to close the distance.

Jones I think would always be a problem for him due to the reach disadvantage, maybe somewhat better chance vs todays more passive Jones although I think he'd need a KO to win.

Rumble I think would pose a significant KO threat to Machida, again perhaps some chance of a Machida KO or getting top position at some point.

Below that I'd pick him to KO current Glover and probably to win decsions over Gus and Manuwa although Gus's form is hard to know exactly.

Last edited:
Eh. everyone has bad showings. Machida looked slow as fuck against Shogun in their first fight and never did explode with a flurry like he does in all his fights. I truly do think Machida can defeat Shogun Rua, he just didn't show up those two fights.

Yeah he did, during the third round he tried to flurry Shogun and came off worst. Shogun didn't leave him many opening though.

Yeah he did, during the third round he tried to flurry Shogun and came off worst. Shogun didn't leave him many opening though.

I haven't seen the fight in a while so I can't really argue with you. But I still very vividly remember feeling like Machida was off and just slow. Not regular Machida, the Machida that smashed Gegard Mousasi and Mark Munoz.

Just like every fight anything can happen, an over the hill Spider hurt DC to the body with a kick. I'd be pretty comfortable betting on DC ragdolling him though. I think Rumble puts him out. Glover and Gus are interesting fights I think I would lean towards Machida. Manuwa? Please...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back