What would you consider to be Cub Swanson's weaknesses?

rambosabeast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He always seems to have great fight IQ, get the better of transitions from standing to ground, can exploit opponent's fatigue in later rounds, and has creative striking. What exactly does he lack against tough competition?

I think that even though everything you've just said about him is spot on, his problem against tough competition is exactly that he's kind of a jack of all trades, but master of none.

Cub is great... but he's not as good of a striker as a, say, Conor McGregor. Cub is great... but he's not as good of a wrestler as a Chad Mendes. Cub is great... but he lacks the movement of a Frankie Edgar.

He's great overall, but... there's always a but.

Age/mileage is not helping him out any. The smaller guys are way more reliant on youth than the behemoths.

He gets his jaw broken too often.

A high pressure fighter is his weakness along with the mileage he has put on his body from wars.

Wrestling. At it's purest form.

Artem Lobov
mXA4m_.gif

eJaB7va.gif

He always seems to have great fight IQ, get the better of transitions from standing to ground, can exploit opponent's fatigue in later rounds, and has creative striking. What exactly does he lack against tough competition?
Guys a warrior definately one of my favorite fighters. Go watch Edgar vs Swanson for ur answer

Same as for all dynamic fighters - process-driven fundamentally sound wrestlers and kickboxers who consistenly produce volume / can grind him. See Swanson vs Edgar and Swanson vs Holloway for more details.

A lot of people are saying wrestling which is true but his defensive BJJ is also very sub-par. Cub is one of my favourite fighters to watch but grappling is a pretty glaring weakness in his game.

One of the most frustrating fighter to watch. I am a huge fan.

I do not agree at all with the high fight IQ comments. One of the best fighters at losing momentum.

We'll know once Artem is done with him

Back