Vid.: Shogun finishes Arona to Win the Pride GP!

Bring back the stomps

Such a weird end to the GP. Arona looked like he was already half-asleep before the first hammer fist and i can't tell if the stomp landed. Anyway, Arona was always a strange suspect character to me: standing there with his chin in the air throwing leg kicks, feared on the ground but he never really submitted or stopped anyone other than the cruel beating he put on Sakuraba, and somehow intimidated Wand to not be willing to engage him standing. Maybe it's just all the drugs that made things so manic and strange at times in Pride. Arona often seemed slow and lethargic, like too much muscle mass and pain killers in a perfect cocktail.

Man sitting here stoned on an otherwise beautiful staurday, it makes me sad those days are gone

We need stomps, knees, "soccer" kicks, and 12-6 elbows, all that shit, so we can slowly start getting rid of the huggers and stallers from the sport, most of whom would never even be there if it weren't for the fact that we're faking the effectiveness of grappling

Arona. Why we never saw him fight on the big stage again after Pride?

Such a weird end to the GP. Arona looked like he was already half-asleep before the first hammer fist and i can't tell if the stomp landed. Anyway, Arona was always a strange suspect character to me: standing there with his chin in the air throwing leg kicks, feared on the ground but he never really submitted or stopped anyone other than the cruel beating he put on Sakuraba, and somehow intimidated Wand to not be willing to engage him standing. Maybe it's just all the drugs that made things so manic and strange at times in Pride. Arona often seemed slow and lethargic, like too much muscle mass and pain killers in a perfect cocktail.
You have to keep in mind that Arona had a brutal fight with Wanderlei earlier that night. His chin definitely wasn't at 100%

This and the Rampage fight are my all time favorite beatdowns

You have to keep in mind that Arona had a brutal fight with Wanderlei earlier that night. His chin definitely wasn't at 100%

Okay, nvm. I just re-watched the fight and it wasn't brutal at all hahah. Maybe brutal in the sense that it was kinda boring.

Couldn't stand Bore-ona so I almost cried when this happened.

The cherry on top of a stellar tournament run for Shogun.

This is when my love for Shogun was solidified.

In his day properly the best light heaveyweight to grace this planet

This was a very happy moment for mma fsns. I can not think of any fighter in the history of mma that was hated more than Arona.

That flash in the pan Thierry Sokoudjou probably did
tumblr_mu2tbkfRk61ry1rm7o1_400.gif

NogSoko.gif

Maybe a bit of both :D

Last edited:

stomp missed, first hammerfist does it. the super quick one before he moves his leg and unloads the planet crushers

With Jones out of the GOAT picture, I think it's safe to say Shogun is the LHW GOAT.

Back