Lorenz Larkin vs Tyron Woodley

Toner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got Larkin. Larkin throws a lot on the feet and I can see Woodley just taking the shots in a defensive shell trying to conserve his gas tank. The same way Rory Macdonald beat Woodley.

Thoughts?

Larkin more than held his own vs wrestlers much bigger than Woodley at 185lbs in the UFC like Francis Carmont and Derrick Brunson and Lorenz has improved a lot since then even (those decisions were controversial at the time kids if you've already forgot). I think Larkin is a nightmare matchup for Woodley, Maia and Thompson and I've been saying this for a year now. So disappointed the UFC didn't want to pay the may what he's worth.

Larkin more than held his own vs wrestlers much bigger than Woodley at 185lbs in the UFC like Francis Carmont and Derrick Brunson and Lorenz has improved a lot since then even (those decisions were controversial at the time kids if you've already forgot). I think Larkin is a nightmare matchup for Woodley, Maia and Thompson and I've been saying this for a year now. So disappointed the UFC didn't want to pay the may what he's worth.
Larkin will have a strong and probable case for being the best WW in the world if he beats Lima. That's such a great fight.

I think Lima beats Woodley too. He's a much better striker than Tyron and he has an underrated ground game. Lima has a black belt in BJJ.

UFC got rid of Larkin right when he hit his prime.

He's got the height and striking advantage on Woodley. He's also big and strong enough to defend the takedowns.

I'd pick Larkin.

Larkin will have a strong and probable case for being the best WW in the world if he beats Lima. That's such a great fight.

I think Lima beats Woodley too. He's a much better striker than Tyron and he has an underrated ground game. Lima has a black belt in BJJ.

I think Lima is a top 10 Welterweight in the world and I favor him to beat some of the top 10 Welterweights in the UFC like Donald Cerrone, Neil Magny and Dong Hyun Kim. I'd favor Woodley to beat Lima though, Lima has good grappling from his back but he hasn't submitted a high level Welterweight in years and years and Tyron Woodley has never been submitted. Lima's takedown defense is good but probably not good enough for Woodley. Lima has a suspect gas tank and if Woodley is ontop of him, that's going to gas Lima out quickly. It wouldn't shock me if Lima did somehow beat Woodley though, Lima is that good.

I think Lima is a top 10 Welterweight in the world and I favor him to beat some of the top 10 Welterweights in the UFC like Donald Cerrone, Neil Magny and Dong Hyun Kim. I'd favor Woodley to beat Lima though, Lima has good grappling from his back but he hasn't submitted a high level Welterweight in years and years and Tyron Woodley has never been submitted. Lima's takedown defense is good but probably not good enough for Woodley. Lima has a suspect gas tank and if Woodley is ontop of him, that's going to gas Lima out quickly. It wouldn't shock me if Lima did somehow beat Woodley though, Lima is that good.
Woodley doesn't have the best cardio either as his fighting style revolves around trying to conserve his gas tank. He would get tired trying to get TDs on Lima just like how he got tired trying to take down Wonderboy in the rematch.

I think Lima knocks out or outpoints a timid Woodley. We've seen timid Woodley before against Rory and Wonderboy.

Woodley doesn't have the best cardio either as his fighting style revolves around trying to conserve his gas tank. He would get tired trying to get TDs on Lima just like how he got tired trying to take down Wonderboy in the rematch.

I think Lima knocks out or outpoints a timid Woodley. We've seen timid Woodley before against Rory and Wonderboy.
<JerryWWF>

He was hardly "tired " in that fight lol
In fact he was lively enough to explode at the very end of the fight and almost finish Wonderboy.

<JerryWWF>

He was hardly "tired " in that fight lol
In fact he was lively enough to explode at the very end of the fight and almost finish Wonderboy.
There is a reason why he stopped wrestling. The wrestling was draining his gas tank.

I took all of this into consideration already, Lima can potentially pose a lot of problems for Woodley. At the end of the day, Woodley is 35 years old come April and Douglas Lima is only 29.

I took all of this into consideration already, Lima can potentially pose a lot of problems for Woodley. At the end of the day, Woodley is 35 years old come April and Douglas Lima is only 29.
I think Lima beats Woodley that's all I'm saying. Either way it would be a great fight.

I think Lima beats Woodley that's all I'm saying. Either way it would be a great fight.

I remember around the time Rory signed with the UFC and everyone was saying Rory was " the new breed " and " future champion, better than GSP ever was " hype. I was saying, look at this cat Douglas Lima, he's just as great of a young talent as Rory was at that time.

I just think Lima's gas tank is different than Woodley's. Woodley gasses because he's a 5'8 190lb+ man. Anyone with a build like that who's shredded, is going to have obvious advantages and disadvantageous's, Woodley will always have to manage his output and fight calculated in 5 round fights ( but we've seen in the past Woodley can wrestle for 15 minutes vs guys like Saffiedine, Daley, Mein etc). Douglas Lima on the other hand is one of the biggest Welterweights I've seen along with Chidi Njokuani, the guy cuts a lot of weight we're talking 20+lbs of water weight in the last day or two before the fight. I think this has a direct result of him having cardio issues.

I wanted to see Lima move up to 185lbs after the Koreshkov loss, I think he'd smash Manhoef, Shlemenko and Rafael Carvalho in Bellator. I think he's best suited for 170lbs but I think the cut wrecks him. I was reading about his weight however, Lima used to walk around 210lbs, has went into the cage 205lb the night of the fight as a Welterweight....but he's apparently since 2014 or so tried to stay under 200lbs year round. I've seen Lima and Brian Stann spar back in the day, it wasn't obvious which man was bigger, Stann has even said Lima makes him look small in the gym.

I remember around the time Rory signed with the UFC and everyone was saying Rory was " the new breed " and " future champion, better than GSP ever was " hype. I was saying, look at this cat Douglas Lima, he's just as great of a young talent as Rory was at that time.

I just think Lima's gas tank is different than Woodley's. Woodley gasses because he's a 5'8 190lb+ man. Anyone with a build like that who's shredded, is going to have obvious advantages and disadvantageous's, Woodley will always have to manage his output and fight calculated in 5 round fights ( but we've seen in the past Woodley can wrestle for 15 minutes vs guys like Saffiedine, Daley, Mein etc). Douglas Lima on the other hand is one of the biggest Welterweights I've seen along with Chidi Njokuani, the guy cuts a lot of weight we're talking 20+lbs of water weight in the last day or two before the fight. I think this has a direct result of him having cardio issues.

I wanted to see Lima move up to 185lbs after the Koreshkov loss, I think he'd smash Manhoef, Shlemenko and Rafael Carvalho in Bellator. I think he's best suited for 170lbs but I think the cut wrecks him. I was reading about his weight however, Lima used to walk around 210lbs, has went into the cage 205lb the night of the fight as a Welterweight....but he's apparently since 2014 or so tried to stay under 200lbs year round. I've seen Lima and Brian Stann spar back in the day, it wasn't obvious which man was bigger, Stann has even said Lima makes him look small in the gym.
We'll find out soon enough.

With Rory the question is how much the Lawler fight took away from him. It was just brutal. Maybe next to nothin , than I see him as clear top3 and putting a beatdown on Woodley or a very different Rory.

Larkin would also be my clear favourite against Woodley.
Its crazy to think UFC let go of the potential clear Nr.1 and Nr.2 fighter at WW in the future.

Larkin has a real chance of beating woodley. Larkin would eat at woodleys front leg with his low kicks, effectively hampering the td.

Larkin could also keep woodley on the defensive all night. Woodley can't afford to explode often against Larkin. He either finishes him quick, or gets touched up all night.

I'd put money on Larkin. I lost hope for Woodley after that last Wonderboy fight.

Is Woodley the guy who got a title shot on a 2 fight winning streak and thinks himself a victim? Yeh, I'm not much of a fan of his.

I like Woodley in that fight
Larkin's defense isn't fantastic, he doesn't have an iron chin, and he gives guys a lot to react to. Carmont and Brunson aren't nearly as good at wrestler as Woodley is either.

Koreshkov and Lima would both beat Tyron though.

The greatest thing Lorenz Larkin ever did in the sport was leave the UFC. Since his contract expired his stock has continued to rise to his signing with Bellator which cemented his status of greatest WW of all time.

You guys need to chill with this stuff.

I got Larkin. Larkin throws a lot on the feet and I can see Woodley just taking the shots in a defensive shell trying to conserve his gas tank. The same way Rory Macdonald beat Woodley.

Thoughts?

Sure...!

The greatest thing Lorenz Larkin ever did in the sport was leave the UFC. Since his contract expired his stock has continued to rise to his signing with Bellator which cemented his status of greatest WW of all time.

You guys need to chill with this stuff.
Chill out with what stuff? Whose so ludicrous about thinking that Larkin beats Woodley?

Back