Overeem is a White Belt

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

I was surprised to see this photo. Overeem is one of the more submission-savvy fighters at heavyweight with 19 submissions on his record. It's a variety of submissions as well(guillotines, RNC, Peruvian neckties, kimuras and armbars).

Vitor is a Carlson Gracie black belt and Overeem submitted him. That's how much of a stud Alistair Overeem is.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that Alistair may not train in the gi much. He usually trains no-gi. But when you consider that he only started training when he was 15, it's quite impressive. He has a natural aptitude for MMA.

His mma submission skills are more apparent then a lot of fighters that have been life-long grapplers.

Last edited:
Vitor is a Carlson Gracie black belt and Overeem submitted him. That's how much of a stud Alistair Overeem is.
I love Vitor but watching him fight over the years, how the crap is he a black belt????

I was surprised to see this photo. Overeem is one of the more submission-savvy fighters at heavyweight with 19 submissions on his record. It's a variety of submissions as well(guillotines, RNC, Peruvian neckties, kimuras and armbars).

I would wonder how old this photo is and what martial art they were training.

I'm not a jiu-jitsu expert, but I know there are different styles of it, such as Japanese and Brazilian.

belts mean nothing most of the time, so many "black" belts that look like amateurs on the ground, practice makes perfect, you stop using it, you will loose it, no matter the belt.

You could train no gi for 20 years and technically never be a blackbelt. Maybe he doesnt normally train gi bjj

I would wonder how old this photo is and what martial art they were training.

I'm not a jiu-jitsu expert, but I know there are different styles of it, such as Japanese and Brazilian.

I tried to find info on whether Alistair trains at any BJJ school or gym besides the one in the photo but I couldn't find anything.

I think in the past he's trained his submissions exclusively in MMA gyms.

Edit: No actually Overeem did judo when he was younger.

You can be a master of sports in Sambo and then go to BJJ and start off as a white belt.

It's a curious phenomenon to me. I've never trained BJJ, but there seems to be a huge disconnect between high-level BJJ accreditation and functional MMA implementation. Belts mean nothing, seemingly.

It's a curious phenomenon to me. I've never trained BJJ, but there seems to be a huge disconnect between high-level BJJ accreditation and functional MMA implementation. Belts mean nothing, seemingly.
mckendie derm was the number 1 ranked bjj girl at some point in pure jut jitsu but she didn't dominate at all in mma on the ground even vs nobodies, that pretty weird

Black belt.

Didn't he win the ADCC euros with like 8 chokes?

Isn't Jon Jones legitimately a white belt too?

mckendie derm was the number 1 ranked bjj girl at some point in pure jut jitsu but she didn't dominate at all in mma on the ground even vs nobodies, that pretty weird

She is quite decorated. And has an Imanari choke, to go with her two decisions. Three fights is all she's had in mma. Pretty early to be making such a decision.

Let it do what it do.

If we are being fair, Overeem lit him up with knees pretty badly before the guillotine.

Gi jiu jitsu...

A black belt in gi jiu jitsu Will certanly be proefficient on the ground... But you don't need to train in the gi to be a good subgrappler, though technically if you have never put on a gi, your a white belt on the art of bjj. Then again, there are many black belts who promote based on skills not the just based on gi skills...

Back