Loving all these new names at Heavyweight

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
They truly are doing all the right things to build Heavyweight up again. I like it..

Derrick Lewis
Francis Ngannou
Alexander Volkov
Tim Johnson
Marcin Tybura
Walt Harris
Curtis Blaydes
Dmitry Sosnovisky
Tai Tuivasa
Adam Wieczorek
Cyril Asker
Luis Henrique
Mark Godbeer
Dmitry Poberezhets

Any of these guys you think could potentially be champion someday? Would have loved to have been able to throw Ruslan Magomedov and Justin Ledet on here but unfortunately they have situations going on with USADA right now, so hopefully they get let off cause these 2 are really good prospects at HW.

Now if they can bring Minakov & Ivanov over

Last edited:
Only 2 are American, shows you there is very few HW's in America, mostly all light weight class fighters or women. Most HW's that get signed these days are European, been that way for a number of years now.

Very interested to see Tai Tuivasa fight in UFC, seen him fight a few times and he is a bad-ass, scary guy. I am eager to see his debut in UFC.

They need to get Minakov and then things will be looking very good, its sad that the best HW in MMA is not even in UFC, he beats anyone in UFC imo, super slick on the ground.

The rest are low level fighters, guys like Walt Harris are awful. Justin Ledet has some very crisp hands, you can tell he has been boxing for a long time, its a shame about the USADA stuff.

I gotta fire up the fightpass on the guys i havent watched yet.

Only 2 are American, shows you there is very few HW's in America, mostly all light weight class fighters or women. Most HW's that get signed these days are European, been that way for a number of years now.

In an overweight country they don't have much representation in the heaviest division, the irony.

In an overweight country they don't have much representation in the heaviest division, the irony.
Probably because times have changed, America is fitness capital of the world these days, in 2017 there are gyms and fitness centres on every street. Probably in 1990 people are fatter, but these days most people are very into fitness and obsessed with it.

I like Tybura. I might be in the minority but I think he might be able to beat Ngannou especially if the fight goes past the first.

Very interested to see Tai Tuivasa fight in UFC, seen him fight a few times and he is a bad-ass, scary guy. I am eager to see his debut in UFC.

They need to get Minakov and then things will be looking very good, its sad that the best HW in MMA is not even in UFC, he beats anyone in UFC imo, super slick on the ground.

The rest are low level fighters, guys like Walt Harris are awful. Justin Ledet has some very crisp hands, you can tell he has been boxing for a long time, its a shame about the USADA stuff.
Harris really isn't bad at all, if this guy can put it together he could be a force. Blaydes is a really interesting prospect as well. Plus Wieczorek and Sosnovisky look to be really good prospects

Very true, a lot of the new HWs are European and obviously because a lot of the North American HW athletes goes into the big 4 of football, basketball, baseball, hockey.

What's surprising though is the lack of high level kickboxers, wrestlers, boxers, etc that are coming from those European countries and getting into MMA. You have all those Eastern European hotbeds for those sports yet very few are getting into MMA it seems. We've got Makhov and Aliakbari, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a lot more wrestlers coming over. Back in the day we seemed to have a lot more prestigious HWs coming from other disciplines and trying MMA, either successfully or not.

Guess it goes to show, despite MMA skyrocketing in popularity, there seems to be a lot more money in staying with their original sports even outside of North America. We will still be seeing fairly low level HW MMA until this starts to change I think.

They truly are doing all the right things to build Heavyweight up again. I like it..

Derrick Lewis
Francis Ngannou
Alexander Volkov
Tim Johnson
Marcin Tybura
Walt Harris
Curtis Blaydes
Dmitry Sosnovisky
Tai Tuivasa
Adam Wieczorek
Cyril Asker
Luis Henrique
Mark Godbeer
Dmitry Poberezhets

Any of these guys you think could potentially be champion someday? Would have loved to have been able to throw Ruslan Magomedov and Justin Ledet on here but unfortunately they have situations going on with USADA right now, so hopefully they get let off cause these 2 are really good prospects at HW.

Now if they can bring Minakov & Ivanov over
half those guys are nobodies

That's because most heavy weight athletes in America would rather play football. Europeans have no equivalent for their HWs. MMA is tough to sell to a Brock Lesnar-type HW when he can make exponentially more playing professional football. Also, you don't have to deal with an asshole like Dana White nickel and diming you all over the place.

Tim Johnson is horrible...I fell asleep during his last fight which is super rare for me.

Only good fight of his I can remember was the Volkov fight.

That's because most heavy weight athletes in America would rather play football. Europeans have no equivalent for their HWs. MMA is tough to sell to a Brock Lesnar-type HW when he can make exponentially more playing professional football. Also, you don't have to deal with an asshole like Dana White nickel and diming you all over the place.

Barely any money in MMA too. The big 4 sports pay the average guy like 10x what these guys are making. The lower weight classes are filled with Americans because they are too small to play normal sports and soccer isn't big here.

Also only one Brazilian, who already has losses to two guys from the list.

Things have changed.

Back