RoufusSports hit with wrongful death lawsuit

Hardkore

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/2...les-wrongful-death-lawsuit-against-roufusport

RoufusSports has been hit with a wrongful death lawsuit by the family of kickboxer, Dennis Munson. Munson died a few years ago in a kickboxing match in a promotion ran by RoufusSports.

To be honest I'm not surprised by some of the stories I've heard about that place. Thug Rose and Pat Barry were telling the truth about that place.

Last edited:
Didn't Roufus used to hold illegal MMA fights in his gym?

What did Rose and Pat have to say about the place?

(this is all news to me)

Not really Roufus fault, the guy could have quit at any moment, it was horribly mishandled by all involved but fighters need to know when to quit.

If this is the fighter I'm thinking it is, I'm not surprised. There's a video of The fight

Not really Roufus fault, the guy could have quit at any moment, it was horribly mishandled by all involved but fighters need to know when to quit.
Nope. What you said is completely wrong. Whoever is running the fight has the responsibility to ensure fighter safety where possible. If a fighter is concussed and doesn't know where he is how is he going to know when to stop?

Big blame should be placed on the doctor who completely failed his duty due to incompetence, neglect or worry to displease the crowd. Blame should also be placed on the corner for failing to look out for their fighters safety. You cant blame the fighter himself though. Theyre trained to never quit and keep going no matter how they feel. A fighter quitting on his own accord is generally shunned (even if thats wrong its unfortunately still a fact)

Guy signed a waiver. This is classic shakedown lawsuit. 'We know we have no grounds, but we'll ruin your name unless you pay us a settlement.'

What did Rose and Pat have to say about the place?

(this is all news to me)
There's an interview somewhere, where she got beat up by another fighter.... Don't really remember who, and then there was guys beating each other up, because they wanted to defend Roses honor. There was a lot of dick swinging. I'll try and find it.

The cornermen did terribly. They failed the kid and he ended up dead.

I'm not saying that they meant for him to die, or that they had any idea what was going to happen, but they made some very bad decisions and didn't live up to their responsibility. A young inexperienced fighter not feeling well being pressured to go back in there. That's on the corner.

I can't remember the details but I remember being pretty shocked at how it was handled.

Nope. What you said is completely wrong. Whoever is running the fight has the responsibility to ensure fighter safety where possible. If a fighter is concussed and doesn't know where he is how is he going to know when to stop?

This. Not sure the previous poster saw the video. I did...it's bad. Plus Rufus handed in a edited version of the tape to the police, quite suspect.

Everyone there that night failed that fighter; ref, coaches/cornermen, judges, ring side doctor, etc. The fighter had a very hard time making weight, complained of issues, was badly stumbling around in the ring, etc. This isn't some proven veteran fighter, but an inexperienced amateur.

As I recall it the present coach had a history with problematic ringside behaviour and this was just the final error were someone had to pay with his life. Also the edited version missed the most important 30seconds of the fight.

A low-definition video shows the entire fight. In those 32 seconds, Cushman — the cornerman — pushes up a slumping Munson, then slaps him, holding him up by the neck and face. Wichgers, the referee, comes over.

It all comes down to allegations that Roufus gym in general doesnt give a crap about fighter health and that was why Namajunas and some others left. There are so many stories about the coaches there being bullies and beating new members up for no reason that it is hard to speak against it especially as even former coaches say its true.

Eric Schafer:
Duke Roufus is a bully, a liar, and one of the worst people I have ever met. I have never been in a more toxic environment than when I was the head grappling coach and fighter at the gym. I saw teammate after teammate getting treated like shit. Guys being told to beat up lower level guys that were just trying to help out, UFC fighters being told to beat up other UFC level fighters so they would not come back, verbal abuse, violence, guys getting lied to about fights, etc. I have messages and conversations with almost everyone of his fighters from my days there; from his UFC stars to his coaching staff about how much they were mistreated. I will not out them, but they know the truth. They can tell their tales if they want.

link with more info http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nhefk8

Last edited:
Im just surprised Roufus didnt hit Bernardo with a unlawful death lawsuit! #BETA'd

The guy that allowed Punk to step in the octagon is irresponsible? Shocking. Doufus is one of the most overrated coaches in MMA.

The guy that allowed Punk to step in the octagon is irresponsible? Shocking. Doufus is one of the most overrated coaches in MMA.

Nobody there walks out with more skills than they walked in with. Askins, still a wrestler, Pettis still has nothing but flashy kicks, CM Punk still can't do anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back