Is "The Notorious" the greatest nickname in the history of sports?

SocialJusticeFighter

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
It's so classy and yet drives fear into the heart of Conor's opponents. I can't think of a better nickname in any sport. There have been a lot of good ones, but Conor just sets so many trends and is the best at so many things. Somehow he managed to pick the perfect nickname as well. I think in 100 years (Conor will be remembered forever) people will seriously be like "wow what a nickname" when looking back at his historic career.

I love conor, and I love posters love you who support him in this way

The nickname by itself? Not really. What makes it cool is that Conor IS a notorious guy. It's not like those fighters who treat their nicknames like trade names, almost like, Rory MacDonald d/b/a Red King.

giphy.gif

The Last Emperor
Minotauro
Cro Cop
Rampage
Shogun

Those are the most badass and original I can think of off the top of my head.

Ryan "the master" Bader is still GOAT nickname.

It's one of the most unoriginal nicknames. Completely lifted from the Notorious B.I.G.

I like nicknames that replace a fighter's real name like Shogun and Minotauro, but yes I think Notorious is pretty good

Just to complete my point: What makes a nickname cool is what it means, and how it represents the fighter's personality.

That's why I respect Brazilian nicknames, as wacky as they may sound sometimes. There's a meaning behind them, even if it's just a gym nickname used among friends or something like that. That, IMO, is much better than your generic fighter who's introduced as the "Evil Wicked Assassin Punisher 666 From Hell", or anything to this effect, and, despite the nickname, will invariably go for a boring 30-27.

"The Notorious" was an epic name for the Notorious B.I.G., however Conor is only notorious for not defending his title like a coward so its wasted on him.

Greatest nickname in MMA history is obviously Platinum though.

The Last Emperor
Minotauro
Cro Cop
Rampage
Shogun

Those are the most badass and original I can think of off the top of my head.

Call it cheesy, but I'm also a fan of Iceman and of course The Natural.

Ruthless is also a great nickname as it just fits so well with Lawler. And of course, Super Samoan is just an epic one as well.

George "Saint" Pierre is better because it's ironic. Nothing saintly about punching people in the face!

Back