Does GSP deserves more credit for gutting out the Hendricks fight?

Did GSP do enough against Big Rigg?

• Total voters

Chuck

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The man didn't even want to be in the octagon anymore....he was getting lit up and still dug deep for the championship round.

I thought Hendricks should have won but never leave it in the hands of the judges.

Yeah cause hendricks was on....well you know
Hendricks definitely won that fight 48-47 iirc but gsp really dug deep. He was out on his feet a few times and still managed to win some exchanges and score tds. He isn't just an "athlete".

Thanks for the quick "Fuck You" TKD guy! HAHA!

I guess so, Hendricks coasted though and it rightly cost him the fight.

GSP won the fight.
People were just hating because they wanted to see him lose and it was the first time GSP had a somewhat close fight.

No-one appreciates something until its gone.
Happy to see GSP back, he has moved on to bigger and better things.
He will be the MW champ.

GSP bless!

He beat a guy that refused to be tested. It's that simple. And the massive fail that is Hendricks' fall from grace since USADA entered the scene, says it all.

Everyone has the same scores for that fight with round 1 being the deciding round, which was a round where Hendriks outlanded GSP in both total and significant strikes (by Fightmetric's count), and Hendriks led by a mile in quality of strikes landed. Both landed 1 takedown only to quickly lose position. I was always pretty surprised that so many folks on here were insistent that GSP won that fight, and most of that seemed to center on how they felt he did in round 5...not round 1, the deciding round.

GSP deserves some credit for fighting all five rounds, but he also deserves major scorn for immediately retiring after getting a close/gift decision and then running around accusing Hendriks of using steroids without any evidence.

Duly noted Jermei and Topcontender!
I appreciatethe "Fuck offs"!

I think we can see time and time again, that any time we have a dominant champion, and someone finally gives them a hard fight, that a lot of fans get behind that challenger and it skews their opinion of the fight.

Everyone has the same scores for that fight with round 1 being the deciding round, which was a round where Hendriks outlanded GSP in both total and significant strikes (by Fightmetric's count), and Hendriks led by a mile in quality of strikes landed. Both landed 1 takedown only to quickly lose position. I was always pretty surprised that so many folks on here were insistent that GSP won that fight, and most of that seemed to center on how they felt he did in round 5...not round 1, the deciding round.

GSP deserves some credit for fighting all five rounds, but he also deserves major scorn for immediately retiring after getting a close/gift decision and then running around accusing Hendriks of using steroids without any evidence.

Thing is I don't recall GSP outright saying Johnny was on steroids....it was kind of implied with Johnny not going through the same testing.

I remember it being a close GSP decision but have never rewatched it and don't usually set out to objectively score fights unless I think they will be close.

Might rewatch today as I'm off work sick.

Look at the end of the day there are 5 round fighters and there are guys who take the 5th off and just wanna get out of there.

GSP always showed up to fight in the 5th and won every 5th round in his career.

And since your clearly the Hendricks fanboy PLS watch every 5th round of Hendrick's career.

Then come back and apologize for making this shitty thread.

I think we can see time and time again, that any time we have a dominant champion, and someone finally gives them a hard fight, that a lot of fans get behind that challenger and it skews their opinion of the fight.

Couldn't agree more.
A big example in my opinion was the Jones/Alex fight.
One of the few fights I didn't see live...then I watched it and wondered what all the craziness was on Sherdog that I had been reading.
Close fight yes...belt changing? No

Gsp came out for the last round; Hendricks didn't.

It was a very close fight and I got no problem for people saying hendricks won.

I believe he did had his own testing done and offered to pay for Johnny....am I wrong?
Go read the interview with Kizer. GSP wanting to fund the testing was bullshit. It was to have control over testing. He wanted to know all sorts of specific details about the tests, when they will be, what they will test for etc... Very fishy

Fuck it, I'll post it:

"A week later, GSP's attorney asked 15 or 20 questions about how WADA is going to test for this and that, how are they going to move the tests, how are they going to do this, a ton of questions," Ehrhardt said. "He wanted to have predetermined times. It's not random if you know when they're coming. He had questions about what they test for, and that's another red flag. Why do you care what they test for? If you're clean, you're clean. We didn't ask one question ... We were just ready to test WADA, that's what we wanted to do, and he didn't want to."

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/11/4719572/georges-st-pierre-johny-hendricks-drug-testing-gsp-ufc

GSP should deserve extra creds for that fight because he didn't even want to be in there in the first place. His mind was really anywhere but fighting at that point in his career, so any way you cut this fight up it was still pretty close with one guy who didn't want to be there and another who refused to take part in the same type of testing that the current champ was going through. Johnny doesn't even look like the same fighter any more since USADA, and GSP has made a return on a high note really. Oddly enough they're both in the same division again since Hendricks can't make WW anymore.

Big Rigg clearly won. One of the worst decisions in UFC history, considering a belt was on the line.

Back