CSAC trying to eliminate extreme weight cutting.

Defeat Unknown

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/2...0-point-plan-to-combat-extreme-weight-cutting

A 10-point plan to combat extreme weight cutting, which includes a fight-day weight check for athletes, will be submitted by California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) executive officer Andy Foster to the commission’s Medical Advisory Committee at a meeting Saturday in Los Angeles, per a document posted to the CSAC website. The results of that discussion will be brought to the full commission to be voted on May 16.

The ambitious plan includes licensing fighters by weight class; the addition of new weight classes; making fighters move up a division if they miss weight more than once; dehydration checks; and 30-day and 10-day weight checks for high-level title fights.

Holy crap, these sound like some effective changes being proposed. Wow. Hope some of this stuff gets passed. Extreme weight cutting, imo, is one of the biggest detractors to the sport. Would love to see more weight classes added, and fighters fighting people their own weight, and I think the sport will benefit immensely from fighters putting on better performances due to simply being healthier.

making fighters move up a division if they miss weight more than once

Impossible to enforce. The fighter signs a contract with the promotion and the promotion schedules the fights. The AC has no say in what weight class someone fights at and can't force a fighter to a new weight class. The UFC can (and does!) do that, though.

I doubt all of this will be implemented, but if even part of it is, I think it's a step in the right direction.

They should just impose heavy fines and give the fighters an L or put their job on the line if they can't make it to the fight within 24 or 48 hours. No need to make a bunch of silly fucking rules up, no more weight classes either, theirs plenty. Fighters just won't fight in Cali with these stupid rules, and Cali cards almost always have epic fights on them.

Impossible to enforce. The fighter signs a contract with the promotion and the promotion schedules the fights. The AC has no say in what weight class someone fights at and can't force a fighter to a new weight class. The UFC can (and does!) do that, though.

I doubt all of this will be implemented, but if even part of it is, I think it's a step in the right direction.
Fighters need to be licensed by the commission. If a fighter has a history of missing weight and their cutting methods are damaging to their health, they won't license them.

Somebody will die with the fight day weigh in rule... it will be the cause of the first sanctioned death in mma

These are grown men and women. Let them cut whatever they fucking want to. God damn Nazis.

Fighters need to be licensed by the commission. If a fighter has a history of missing weight and their cutting methods are damaging to their health, they won't license them.
Then they'll fight in a different state.

They can't force a fighter to choose a new weight class. They have no direct power over the promotion, so if the UFC books Gastelum at WW, for example, and CSAC says no, the fight will happen in Vegas or NY or something.

Somebody will die with the fight day weigh in rule... it will be the cause of the first sanctioned death in mma
Wow, you honestly think that instead of choosing a more appropriate weight class (with more available) and staying healthy, that instead fighters will try to cheat the system by remaining dehydrated for extended periods of time, and try to perform and win a fight while dehydrated?

That's insane.

As much as I want to bitch about overreaching government, the way fighters have been fucking up lately annoys me more

They can't make anyone fight at any certain weight but they can prevent you from fighting regardless of said contract.

Then they'll fight in a different state.

They can't force a fighter to choose a new weight class. They have no direct power over the promotion, so if the UFC books Gastelum at WW, for example, and CSAC says no, the fight will happen in Vegas or NY or something.
Yeah, we've heard that before with fighters "refusing" to fight in certain states. They will be passed up and other fighters will take their place. We know what happens to fighters that say no to fights; they sit out for longer periods of inactivity.

Yeah, we've heard that before with fighters "refusing" to fight in certain states. They will be passed up and other fighters will take their place. We know what happens to fighters that say no to fights; they sit out for longer periods of inactivity.
True, but this isn't fighters saying no to fights, this is an AC trying to over-reach and control promotions. The CSAC doesn't have the kind of influence that the NSAC has to begin with, and how many UFC cards are even booked in Cali? If they try to pressure the UFC into doing something they don't want to do, it'll be fewer cards in Cali, not fighters sitting on the shelf.

They can't make anyone fight at any certain weight but they can prevent you from fighting regardless of said contract.
True. But then the fighter gets booked in a different state and in the end, the provision is meaningless because they only have authority in one state, and it's not even the state where most UFC cards happen, so I don't see a huge impact here.

Again, I'm in favor of these regulations. I just don't think they can realistically enforce that particular aspect of it.

True. But then the fighter gets booked in a different state and in the end, the provision is meaningless because they only have authority in one state, and it's not even the state where most UFC cards happen, so I don't see a huge impact here.

Again, I'm in favor of these regulations. I just don't think they can realistically enforce that particular aspect of it.
It's just the beginning. At least someone is trying to do something. If UFC finds it beneficial to avoid a market then that's up to them. Don't know how this stuff works out until someone tries it, but if UFC goes out of their way to dodge safety precautions, it just makes them look shady as fuck and keeps the sport from growing.

Wow, you honestly think that instead of choosing a more appropriate weight class (with more available) and staying healthy, that instead fighters will try to cheat the system by remaining dehydrated for extended periods of time, and try to perform and win a fight while dehydrated?

That's insane.
Somebody with bad diet that needs money, will cut weight day of in order to not get pulled from a fight. It will likely be someone not so smart like a war machine or platinum. And their brain will hemorrhage after getting rattled off their skull.

It's just the beginning. At least someone is trying to do something. If UFC finds it beneficial to avoid a market then that's up to them. Don't know how this stuff works out until someone tries it, but if UFC goes out of their way to dodge safety precautions, it just makes them look shady as fuck and keeps the sport from growing.
I don't think booking fewer shows in California would ever been seen as "shady" by anyone because I doubt anyone is religiously monitoring the rate of UFC cards in California and looking for shadiness. We haven't had a UFC card in Philadelphia since Tito vs Rashad, are they "dodging safety regulations" here, or are they just booking shows where they think they'll make the most revenue?

Somebody with bad diet that needs money, will cut weight day of in order to not get pulled from a fight. It will likely be someone not so smart like a war machine or platinum. And their brain will hemorrhage after getting rattled off their skull.
*Summons the Platinum Nation to defend their boy*

If they finally split LW and WW into 155, 165 and 175, I will celebrate this day IRL.

Hope they implement it and other AC's follow suit, this needs to happen

The fighters want it, the fans want it.....less cancelled fights and a better product. This is a no brainer

I don't think booking fewer shows in California would ever been seen as "shady" by anyone because I doubt anyone is religiously monitoring the rate of UFC cards in California and looking for shadiness. We haven't had a UFC card in Philadelphia since Tito vs Rashad, are they "dodging safety regulations" here, or are they just booking shows where they think they'll make the most revenue?
Won't know until the media starts asking Uncle Dana and fighters about it.

Hopefully in time we'll not only see these new rules integrated into California, but other states as well.

Maybe Bellator will have to lead with these changes.

Back