Mike Perry, let's put some perspective on him

Kristian82

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

One the most divisive figures on Sherdog for the last 9 months, Platinum Mike Perry. Love him or hate him, the chances are that you have an opinion on the man. I just wanted to have a serious conversation where we can all put the hyperbole and hatred to one side and consider his career to date when compared to some of the greatest MMA fighters ever at a similar stage in their career. The fighters I'm comparing him to regularly pop up on GOAT lists, they are as follows: Jon Bones Jones, Anderson The Spider Silva, The Notorious Conor McGregor, Georges Rush Saint Pierre, Jose Aldo Junior and Fedor Emelianenko.

Jon Bones Jones
Jon-Jones.jpg

Jon Jones is probably the greatest prodigy that we have ever seen in MMA by his early twenties are unprecedented. Although doing it a much younger age, interestingly Jon also had a 9-1 record by his 10th fight although he did get into the UFC one fight earlier on his journey - it was in a much less competitive division. Also Jon had 2 decision victories in those first ten fights whereas Mike had only knockouts. I'd say for similar stages in their career, they are dead even.

Anderson The Spider Silva
anderson_silva_belt-ufc-mma-mixed-martial-arts-sport-ripped-physique-training-regime-diet-nutrition-the-spider-silva-high-kick-knockouts.jpg

Considered by many fans including myself to be the GOAT, his winning streak and the manner of those wins is unrivalled. Silva was something of a slow starter at MMA, winning two fights but then not fighting again for three years where he was dealt his first loss. Like Mike and Jon before him, he was 9-1 by the time he'd had his first ten fights. Silva had managed to get one fight in Pride by this point so I think the argument would be that Mike is actually slightly ahead of him in terms of career trajectory at this point.

The Notorious Conor McGregor
nate-diaz-conor-mcgregor-ufc-196.jpg

Personally I think it's premature to have McGregor on GOAT lists, but you cannot argue the impact that this man has had on the sport. At similar stages in their career, Mike is on UFC main cards and Conor was getting his second shot at a Cage Warriors show after being submitted by Joe Duffy on his first. Conor was 8-2 in bush league organisations at this point in his career. Mike is way ahead of where Conor was after his first ten fights.

Georges Rush Saint Pierre
gsp-frownPNG.png

On of the most popular MMA fighters of all time and easily the most well rounded fighter of his day. Also the first fighter I believe was ahead of Mike after his first ten fights. Yes, they were both 9-1 but Georges had one more UFC fight and a title shot at this stage in his career all in the same competitive WW division that Mike now fights in. Georges edges this one by one higher profile fight.

Jose Aldo Junior
647535-jose-aldo-saiba-mais-sobre-o-lutador-02.jpg

Probably the GOAT FW, Jose Aldo Junior - he held one of the longest winning streaks in MMA history. Where was he after his first ten fights? Well he was 9-1, it appears all the greats are 9-1 after their first ten fights. He was also fighting in organisations that do not have Wikipedia pages. Like his rival Conor McGregor, way behind Mike at a similar point in their careers.

Fedor Emelianenko
Fedor-Emelianenko.jpg

Heavyweight legend and Sherdog's golden boy Fedor spent his career whooping ass as an undersized heavyweight. Amazingly another 9-1 fighter after ten fights. Like Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor was not in the big leagues yet so cannot be considered ahead of Mike. Mike is ahead of Fedor at similar stages in their careers.

So after all's said and done, it turns out that Mike seems to be on a similar if not better career trajectory than many of MMA's greats. It may turn out that he fails but those of you laughing now may end looking like those who were laughing at the six men mentioned above.

Sherdoggers, I'd love to hear you opinion on this. Especially my Platinum brothers:

@Jehannum, @20falarVerdades, @Abazzdeboom, @Alex, @AndrewGolota48, @billharford, @BRaVo cHoKe, @Buckeye4Life, @Cowboy Cerroliveira, @Dana_is_your_GOD, @Davey Crockett, @Defeat Unknown, @dontlaugh, @Dragon Punch, @Dragov, @Elmonstro1, @FedorGOAT, @Haj01, @Heavy Hands, @HuskySamoan, @Jkaylor, @Karnage, @KlNG, @KOByFootStomp, @KONE, @Kristian82, @Kung Fu Tze, @kwoodward50, @LOLAinsleyHarriott, @LORDTENSAIMMA, @LouisBolanos, @Mondo Freaks, @MonstaAJ, @Only Here for Attachments, @Papawash, @Platinum, @Platinum Bless, @Project 86, @reigning terroe, @Roop Holstry, @SherdogGoat, @Sleepdancer, @Smoking Indoors, @STEVEN SEAGOLD, @Streeter, @swarrrm, @thatKid, @The Best JG, @The Buffmeister, @TheLastEmperorReurns, @TheMadHatter, @Thunderchild, @UL, @Venom, @whaleshark, @Willek, @Xaero, @XalexinchainsX, @yeguiza, @Übermacht,

Obligatory message for the anti Mike trolls that will at some point appear in this thread:
QoNxGJC.jpg

One of the best threads I've ever read, and I'm only a casual follower of the sport. I didn't even know much about this Mike Perry guy, besides being a hyper exciting prospect, but I will follow his career and his path from now on. Seems like a future GOAT.

Great points TS, smartly written as well.

Breathe it in.

Great thread. Perry is destined to join the ranks of these Goats. Many will mock him on the way and that is okay, Perry will be the one laughing in the end.

LMAO

Did you just make a comparison of Perry to Bones Jones, Anderson, and GSP?

Am I reading this correctly?

Average UFC fighter. Wouldn't even be the Bellator WW champ.

Overrated by most of his fake, troll fanbase.

LMAO

You forgot Fedor which is the closest in comparison imo since he is considered the GOAT by majority.

maxresdefault.jpg

One the most divisive figures on Sherdog for the last 9 months, Platinum Mike Perry. Love him or hate him, the chances are that you have an opinion on the man. I just wanted to have a serious conversation where we can all put the hyperbole and hatred to one side and consider his career to date when compared to some of the greatest MMA fighters ever at a similar stage in their career. The fighters I'm comparing him to regularly pop up on GOAT lists, they are as follows: Jon Bones Jones, Anderson The Spider Silva, The Notorious Conor McGregor, Georges Rush Saint Pierre, Jose Aldo Junior and Fedor Emelianenko.

Jon Bones Jones
Jon-Jones.jpg

Jon Jones is probably the greatest prodigy that we have ever seen in MMA by his early twenties are unprecedented. Although doing it a much younger age, interestingly Jon also had a 9-1 record by his 10th fight although he did get into the UFC one fight earlier on his journey - it was in a much less competitive division. Also Jon had 2 decision victories in those first ten fights whereas Mike had only knockouts. I'd say for similar stages in their career, they are dead even.

Anderson The Spider Silva
anderson_silva_belt-ufc-mma-mixed-martial-arts-sport-ripped-physique-training-regime-diet-nutrition-the-spider-silva-high-kick-knockouts.jpg

Considered by many fans including myself to be the GOAT, his winning streak and the manner of those wins is unrivalled. Silva was something of a slow starter at MMA, winning two fights but then not fighting again for three years where he was dealt his first loss. Like Mike and Jon before him, he was 9-1 by the time he'd had his first ten fights. Silva had managed to get one fight in Pride by this point so I think the argument would be that Mike is actually slightly ahead of him in terms of career trajectory at this point.

The Notorious Conor McGregor
nate-diaz-conor-mcgregor-ufc-196.jpg

Personally I think it's premature to have McGregor on GOAT lists, but you cannot argue the impact that this man has had on the sport. At similar stages in their career, Mike is on UFC main cards and Conor was getting his second shot at a Cage Warriors show after being submitted by Joe Duffy on his first. Conor was 8-2 in bush league organisations at this point in his career. Mike is way ahead of where Conor was after his first ten fights.

Georges Rush Saint Pierre
gsp-frownPNG.png

On of the most popular MMA fighters of all time and easily the most well rounded fighter of his day. Also the first fighter I believe was ahead of Mike after his first ten fights. Yes, they were both 9-1 but Georges had one more UFC fight and a title shot at this stage in his career all in the same competitive WW division that Mike now fights in. Georges edges this one by one higher profile fight.

Jose Aldo Junior
647535-jose-aldo-saiba-mais-sobre-o-lutador-02.jpg

Probably the GOAT FW, Jose Aldo Junior - he held one of the longest winning streaks in MMA history. Where was he after his first ten fights? Well he was 9-1, it appears all the greats are 9-1 after their first ten fights. He was also fighting in organisations that do not have Wikipedia pages. Like his rival Conor McGregor, way behind Mike at a similar point in their careers.

Fedor Emelianenko
Fedor-Emelianenko.jpg

Heavyweight legend and Sherdog's golden boy Fedor spent his career whooping ass as an undersized heavyweight. Amazingly another 9-1 fighter after ten fights. Like Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor was not in the big leagues yet so cannot be considered ahead of Mike. Mike is ahead of Fedor at similar stages in their careers.

So after all's said and done, it turns out that Mike seems to be on a similar if not better career trajectory than many of MMA's greats. It may turn out that he fails but those of you laughing now may end looking like those who were laughing at the six men mentioned above.

Sherdoggers, I'd love to hear you opinion on this. Especially my Platinum brothers:

@Jehannum, @20falarVerdades, @Abazzdeboom, @Alex, @AndrewGolota48, @billharford, @BRaVo cHoKe, @Buckeye4Life, @Cowboy Cerroliveira, @Dana_is_your_GOD, @Davey Crockett, @Defeat Unknown, @dontlaugh, @Dragon Punch, @Dragov, @Elmonstro1, @FedorGOAT, @Haj01, @Heavy Hands, @HuskySamoan, @Jkaylor, @Karnage, @KlNG, @KOByFootStomp, @KONE, @Kristian82, @Kung Fu Tze, @kwoodward50, @LOLAinsleyHarriott, @LORDTENSAIMMA, @LouisBolanos, @Mondo Freaks, @MonstaAJ, @Only Here for Attachments, @Papawash, @Platinum, @Platinum Bless, @Project 86, @reigning terroe, @Roop Holstry, @SherdogGoat, @Sleepdancer, @Smoking Indoors, @STEVEN SEAGOLD, @Streeter, @swarrrm, @thatKid, @The Best JG, @The Buffmeister, @TheLastEmperorReurns, @TheMadHatter, @Thunderchild, @UL, @Venom, @whaleshark, @Willek, @Xaero, @XalexinchainsX, @yeguiza, @Übermacht,

Obligatory message for the anti Mike trolls that will at some point appear in this thread:
QoNxGJC.jpg
images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F11%2F09%2Fshhh123.gif

LMAO

I'll let you slide for missing Aldo and Conor since they are at the bottom of Goat list.

100% true. In fact, a good estimation is that Mike Perry is 2 wins away from a title shot, which means he could be champ by late 2017/early 2018

Perry and Jones "dead even" in similar stages? <45> Jones went 6-0 in less than 3 months of professional debut. Won his first UFC fight 4th month into his career.

Perry and Jones "dead even" in similar stages? <45> Jones went 6-0 in less than 3 months of professional debut. Won his first UFC fight 4th month into his career.
Jones achievements are incredible and to be fair I wasn't taking the speed at which Jones did it into consideration perhaps my own bias towards Jones as a person affected this. I must agree that like GSP, Jones was also slightly ahead at this stage in his career...

Back