How big of a factor did the eye poke in Ferguson vs. RDA play?

ChaelSonnen

The American Gangster
@purple
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people talk about how Fergy dominated RDA and didn't even get touched, but I just rewatched the fight and IMO RDA easily won the 1st round. He was looking like he was about to take off, until the 2nd round where he got poked in the eye by Fergy.
Now, not saying he lost the fight because of the eye poke, but they play a huge factor in reaction time and more, and RDA certainly didn't look like himself afterwards.

Has anyone else taken this into account?

A big factor. Rda was dominating Ferguson until it happend.
Rda in the first round of that fight was the best he's ever looked.

Tony is a dirty fighter who rarely gets criticised over his tactics unlike jones.Even in the edson fight he resorted to his illegal moves when he realised he was losing. Don't be surprised if he 'accidentally' eyepokes or kicks khabibs balls. And with these stupid refs around he'll get away with it as usual.

Eyepokes are such an underrated factor. I'm no pro on the issue, but what fighters have gotten away with in the past is completely unacceptable.

Tony is a dirty fighter who rarely gets criticised over his tactics unlike jones.Even in the edson fight he resorted to his illegal moves when he realised he was losing. Don't be surprised if he 'accidentally' eyepokes or kicks khabibs balls. And with these stupid refs around he'll get away with it as usual.
Should have been a DQ for that illegal kick.

Alot and it seems to happen in his biggest fights (borderline tactics).

Hopefully nothing like that happens in the khabib fight.

Considering the fact that RDA was handily whooping his ass right up until the poke, I'd say it played a big role.

This fucker was intentionality trying to poke RDA. You can see in the gif he stick his arms several times until he get it. And then he tried to take advantage of the moment.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Massive but people want to downplay RDA on here for some reason and talk as if he's some bum.

I personally thought RDA won Round 3 which was after the eye poke....

Huge part. I hope the eagle destroys his fucking dirty soul. I despise Ferguson as much as I do Browne.

Both filth mongers in the ring.

I personally thought RDA won Round 3 which was after the eye poke....

Yeah to me it seemed like RDA's chances in the second were hurt by the eyepoke but then he started to slow down in the 4th and 5th, so without it he could potentially have won 48-47.

RDA is a beast. That fight could have gone either way with some minor adjustment from Anjos.

Ferguson is a dirty fighter.

He was ALSO getting #REKT by Barboza before he illegally upkicked his head into the 5th row.

sometimes the dirtiest nastiest dudes get the win. whoever refs should not allow fouls to go unnoticed given the history of these guys.

whether it was the poke or not, that fight was 2-2 going into the 5th. RDAs tank slowed after three, i felt.

Tony was obnoxious in that fight, and hammed it up many times to make himself seem more dominant, but he did easily win the fifth.

Eye pokes are complete fight changers. Losing your depth perception or seeing double really makes any kind of striking offense and more importantly defence much more difficult.

Nah, he is just way too creative and crafty and fast for RDA in the striking.

Back