Why Khabib vs Ferg is CLOSER in the GRAPPLING than you think! (Gifs included)

HeDucking

Im so Groovy
Banned
Reaction score
Khabib will attempt many TDs, this is known however the places he could get the TDs may be limited in this fight. Shooting for the double in the clinch is a nono on someone with the snapdown and darce ability of Ferg. Fergs natural instinct is to look for the choke even before the choke comes.

MJ has a fantastic sprawl here but he isnt as drilled as other grapplers in the controlling of the opponents head and neck, so he looks for the choke to late.
aDhRdj.gif

Here we see a similar entry by a training partner of Khabib at AKA shoot for a similar takedown but Ferg's instinct is to look for the darce. Notice how the difference in the reaction times between MJ and Ferg looking for the neck. Ferg's sprawl is also butter smooth.
88fjql.gif

Ferg has some fantastic funk rolls he displayed against Thompson.
wp-1449871615644.gif

Rolls worked well against Khabib when Trujillo used em.
ShortSaltyDromaeosaur.gif

BlaringDecisiveCottontail.gif

You see when Trujillo rolled in the first gif, Khabib was stifled when they stood up. Ferg will look to work the long stiff jab in these positions. Ferg may even have Khabib on bottom like Truijjilo nearly did which we havent seen Khabib before in.

Another factor that I feel will also be detrimental to this fight is the use of the upkick for Ferg. Khabib's fearlessness and aggressiveness when on top may lead him into trouble against Ferg.

MJ doesn't like to be on his back, so he's not comfortable in this position to throw upkicks like others such as Mousassi or Ferg. He sees shots raining on top of him so he kicks upwards not to damage but as a defensive manoeuvre. Here I think Ferg can land the upkicks.
t1nedJ.gif

They are deadly.
9v-Bwi.gif

Heck, he may even use em illegally like he did with Barboza to change the complexion of the fight. Barboza was rocked badly.
S5UHom.gif

The more I look at this fight, the more it seems like its a complete toss up. Being comfortable on the back against the most deadly top game in the UFC may not yield results but Fergs scrambling ability, upkicks, armbar attempts, leglock attempts aswell as the rubber guard when fully dry could all aid him when he's on his back. Its not a complete mismatch down there like many users on Sherdog think.

If youve made it this far, thank you.

Honestly it's a complete 50/50 fight

I can see Khabib shooting in and getting caught in a choke, but I can see him ragdolling Ferguson for 5 rounds also

<mma4>

People are underestimating Tony.
Should be a great fight.

grappling != wrestling

Khabib laying on top and doing nothing still results in a win for Khabib after 3 rounds, so even if Ferguson can neutralize him on the ground, he could still lose. He has to prevent the fight from going there as much as possible.

grappling != wrestling

Khabib laying on top and doing nothing still results in a win for Khabib after 3 rounds, so even if Ferguson can neutralize him on the ground, he could still lose. He has to prevent the fight from going there as much as possible.

Not if the judges actually pay attention to the new (which again I restate is just a clarified version of the old) scoring criteria in my opinion.

If they actually pay attention, unless Khabib is in dominant position on the ground or landing damage - it's a 50/50 fight. If Ferguson is neutralizing him (which is unlikely) or attacking with submission attempts or strikes he's winning even if he's on the bottom assuming Khabib is not in dominant positions the majority of the time, as long as he's doing more from the bottom to end the fight than Khabib is from the top.

Skill vs heart. Tony will fight till he cant anymore, khabib just beats the shit out of you non stop.

grappling != wrestling

Grappling encompasses wrestling, BJJ and the like, it refers to any technique an opponent uses in close quarters.

Nice use of !=, you a programmer?

Not if the judges actually pay attention to the new (which again I restate is just a clarified version of the old) scoring criteria in my opinion.

If they actually pay attention, unless Khabib is in dominant position on the ground or landing damage - it's a 50/50 fight. If Ferguson is neutralizing him (which is unlikely) or attacking with submission attempts or strikes he's winning even if he's on the bottom assuming Khabib is not in dominant positions.

nobody wins off there back in the history of mma except bas rutten if i remember.

If they actually pay attention, unless Khabib is in dominant position on the ground or landing damage - it's a 50/50 fight. If Ferguson is neutralizing him (which is unlikely) or attacking with submission attempts or strikes he's winning even if he's on the bottom assuming Khabib is not in dominant positions.
True, but I think you're expecting too much from judges who never seem to know what the criteria for scoring actually are, clarified or not. If Khabib is in guard for 13 minutes, even if he lands exactly zero strikes and manages exactly zero sub attempts, he'd get the win. They would not score it a draw.

nobody wins off there back in the history of mma except bas rutten if i remember.

That's because judges don't know what they're doing. BUT the rules have been restated and clarified, and we are supposed to judge fights in a vacuum based on what happens in a given fight not based on precedent from past fights.

You have to be effectively grappling ie doing things that advance you towards winning the fight, to be winning the grappling. Just being on top, unless you're in a truly dominant position, does not do that.

There are fights that should have been scored clearly for the guy on bottom, that will hopefully now be scored for the guy on bottom under the new critieria

Like Mousasi/Mo and DJ/Torres come to mind immediately

True, but I think you're expecting too much from judges who never seem to know what the criteria for scoring actually are, clarified or not. If Khabib is in guard for 13 minutes, even if he lands exactly zero strikes and manages exactly zero sub attempts, he'd get the win. They would not score it a draw.

Yeah that's fair and worth mentioning, I'm just really hoping that bad/questionable judging isn't a factor here. Like if this is completely grappling heavy and Tony outgrapples him from the bottom in an MMA sense I hope he gets the win. You're completely right that he probably won't, but it's still possible that he could get out wrestled and win the fight if the judges score it correctly

Which they won't, but I dare to dream

Grappling encompasses wrestling, BJJ and the like, it refers to any technique an opponent uses in close quarters.

Nice use of !=, you a programmer?
True, it encompasses wrestling, but the difference in wrestling (sambo) skill here is extreme, regardless of how good the rest of Tony's grappling game is.

And I'm not a programmer (actually an IT admin) but I remember != from a programming class I took haha

With Ferg attempting leglocks, armbars, hammering with elbows from the bottom? I think theylll give it to who ever does more in these positions.

Well I hope so.

That's because judges don't know what they're doing. BUT the rules have been restated and clarified, and we are supposed to judge fights in a vacuum based on what happens in a given fight not based on precedent from past fights.

You have to be effectively grappling ie doing things that advance you towards winning the fight, to be winning the grappling. Just being on top, unless you're in a truly dominant position, does not do that.

There are fights that should have been scored clearly for the guy on bottom, that will hopefully now be scored for the guy on bottom under the new critieria

Like Mousasi/Mo and DJ/Torres come to mind immediately

its becuase the cheap ass lil elbos people can do like diaz said, they dont have to posture out and do damage so you cant move off your back. Pretty lame.

Back